Ribbon Drum Overheads - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ribbon Drum Overheads
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Side note:

I notice a lot of you keep mentioning mono room mics. I must be green - I don't understand the inclination to go mono when you can go stereo room mics? Am I missing something?

I have a large open hatch in my drum room leading to another large room with a high (18') ceiling. The hole is almost right over the drums, and about 8' x 4'. I place a couple small diaphragm omnis - one on either end of the hole, about 15' high, which is really about 25' above the drum set. It's a rather fattening addition to the drum tracks. Although I usually don't need to add much for a big sound.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RCA44 are very good for a main pair as well. In fact I like it very much (with a good eq for the high end). Comparing with for example U47s or U87's it has a relaxed sound without getting boring. Low end is quite good as well so a pair of 44 could cover the whole drumset. Excellent option for natural drums of when the drums need to be tamed.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbragg ➑️
Side note:

I notice a lot of you keep mentioning mono room mics. I must be green - I don't understand the inclination to go mono when you can go stereo room mics? Am I missing something?

I have a large open hatch in my drum room leading to another large room with a high (18') ceiling. The hole is almost right over the drums, and about 8' x 4'. I place a couple small diaphragm omnis - one on either end of the hole, about 15' high, which is really about 25' above the drum set. It's a rather fattening addition to the drum tracks. Although I usually don't need to add much for a big sound.
Several reasons- room mic's can be rather random phase, people like the mid-distant ones to mix in, squash or parallel compress, many people don't have pairs of their favorite ribbon, sometimes you have an awesome single spot or corner, people like classic mono records and classic 3 or 3 mic drums sounds, but at the end of the day I like a stereo room pair for a bigger sound often combined with a mono ribbon close to the floor 5-10' in front of the kit where the most LF seems to be occurring, adjusting for balance between kick and snare, and minimizing hi hat and cymbals.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ditto-

I always have a mono room that is closer and stereo rooms a bit back. This way I can choose whether I want a center drum mix with mostly the mono; or I can push up the stereo rooms and pull down the mono for a stereo spread.

It works nicely from song to song- or even verse to chorus.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sometimes I'll do stereo overheads and mono room.
Sometimes I'll do mono overhead and stereo room.
Sometimes I'll do just overheads or just room, mono or stereo.

Coles 4038s, AEAR84s and/or Beyer M160s.
All depends on the kit and the arrangement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a pair of the 4050's that I am looking forward to using on drums. I wasn't crazy about the R121 when I had it. M160 is next on my list.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Side note:

I'd personally rather have a mono overhead and stereo room compared to the inverse.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
I'd personally rather have a mono overhead and stereo room compared to the inverse.
Mono room mics rule in my world.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody not prefer Ribbons on drum overheads and room and prefer Condensers?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Side note:

I usually go mono room. As well as ambience you can also get some midrange punch and strong center image.

Hell, I even like to go all mono on drums.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo ➑️
Sure.
Sometimes.

It's usually about half and half for me.
Depends on the kit and arrangement.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM ➑️
Sure.
Sometimes.

It's usually about half and half for me.
Depends on the kit and arrangement.
Ahh ok , the reason I asked is because I was thinking about some for overheads. What type of music would you use a ribbon on overheads rather then a condenser ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would have said no until I scored a pair of Neumann KM86's.

I have those, plus an SF12, plus a pair of M160's. They are all great, but the Neumanns are really special.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ahh ok , the reason I asked is because I was thinking about some for overheads. What type of music would you use a ribbon on overheads rather then a condenser ?
It's usually less about genre and more about what the other instruments sound like.

If I've got a kit that's really bright and guitars that are all humbuckers and the bass player is playing lots of notes up high, I might try ribbons on the main drum sound, condensers on the guitars and a DI on the bass.
I might end up changing stuff because I guessed wrong, but that's where I would intuitively start... probably.

I don't treat it as an exact science.
I go with my gut, and if I don't like it I'll change it.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=u b k;8292577]
(...)Old drums tuned with some ring.
Drummer with a clue.
(...)/QUOTE]

Yes, PLEASE!
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
For a more affordable option (especially if putting them near drums!) I would recommend trying the GAP R1 actives. Only about $200 each and I really like them on a variety of things, including drums sometimes.

Nice classic ribbon sound, transformer coupled, and a phantom amp installed after the tranny so you get nice gain from them to work with any preamp.

*tip - try running them thru a pair of GAP Pre-73's for a real vintage sound with some mojo! Sounds much more expensive than it should for the price.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
another cool ribbon is the B&O with an rca ribbon in it..I use it as mono overhead..
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
small, crappy room - m160's are the only way to go. a really nice room - I'm sure all the candidates could do the job. 44 for FOK (fairly close, waist high) or the kick (be careful)...nothing like the 44 for the low stuff...amazing. gotta move it around though to find the g-spot
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Some more advertisement for discontinued mics:

My favorite OHs Ribbons are Beyer M260SM in A/B and Fostex M88RP in Blumlein configuration.

For a huge tom sound Beyer M320 are very nice!

Steph
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As always it depends: for a pop sound I prefer condensers (414's or U47's)
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I almost always prefer condensers.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory ➑️
Ditto-

I always have a mono room that is closer and stereo rooms a bit back. This way I can choose whether I want a center drum mix with mostly the mono; or I can push up the stereo rooms and pull down the mono for a stereo spread.

It works nicely from song to song- or even verse to chorus.
That's an interesting concept.

In fact, I have been finding myself making more changes during a mix than ever before, between song parts. I like to bury all kinds of hooks - not all melody-related. Changing the style of drums mix within a song is something I really have yet to try, except for the ever-so-popluar drum loops in certain sections... but not sure that really counts, and it's kinda overused, I think. In fact, I personally think drum loop usage was overused by '07 or so!
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1 on Royer. I use 2xSF-1 in Blumlein configuration (equivalent to SF-12) and am very happy. In my configuration, I have 4 inch OC fiberglass behind the mics to avoid reflection and get what I believe to be an accurate sound that I can easily work with.

I've also tried 2xAKG 414B-XLS (can't remember configuration, but not Blumlein). The imaging and accuracy of the 2xSF-1 was startling relative to anything else I've tried. So in my particular setup the vote goes to ribbon.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar_josh ➑️
Otherwise, I've used the Royer 121s and the SF-12 with great results!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loomis ➑️
Royer SF-12. You won't need a pair--it's a stereo mic.

Last edited by pianoman; 4th October 2012 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: can combine posts
Gear Guru

Quote:
I like condensers better for overheads,I like the detail of a condensers, provided I'm working with a good drummer, which luckily usually I am.
I have a pair of 3 Zygma 251'Chi's that are working pretty well for room mics, but I've been thinking of trying a ribbon as an extra mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Royer 122V, the tube driven ribbon! THE finest ribbon mic I have ever heard. I wish I could afford to buy a pair.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Oktava M^-52-02s are very nice
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you're going to go with a mono room mic you should definitely try using an omni mic for that. It doesn't even have to be a condenser. There are some cool omni dynamics out there too. Check out EV for that.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➑️
If you're going to go with a mono room mic you should definitely try using an omni mic for that. It doesn't even have to be a condenser. There are some cool omni dynamics out there too. Check out EV for that.
I actually like my EV 635's and Beyer M101's for overhead duties sometimes. A little more of a lower-fi vibe (well, not the beyers, which are very smooth), and very cool at times.

Joel
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've been using a Beesneez Judas out in front of a drum kit and have used it once for overhead (I do location work, so I have to make sure the location is safe for the mic). it sounds wonderful. Very full range. They aren't as dark as the stereotype of the ribbon sound. I'm waiting for my second one and can't wait to use them as stereo overheads.
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4 x Ribbons drums

Here's a link to a session I did a few weeks ago, using 4 Cloud Ribbon mics on drums.

Eddie Seville tracking drums with Cloud Microphones at Millbrook Sound Studio - YouTube

2 of them were also used on the upright bass in this track.

In this ruff mix on the video, everything but the snare on the kit is a ribbon, and both top, (neck position) and bottom, (near the bridge) of the upright bass are also the Cloud ribbon mics.

They were wonderful in this situation!
πŸ“ Reply