80's sound - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
80's sound
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. ➡️
Why is it that whenever someone mentions the 80's words like "cheesy" are used ?
That's the reason why I talked about Glenn Frey's You Belong To The City and Wet Wet Wet's Sweet Little Mystery as the kind of sound(s) I was referring too.
You know, the kind of detail you could have noticed, had you paid attention to the initial message before getting grumpy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Every decade's garbage pop music has its own cliches... that's not what defines it. The 80s also had so much amazing music, incredible vocals, great songs, performances and the single greatest advancement in instrumental virtuosity since the 1800s.

Please don't think it was all about reverb, DX7s and Eventides. It wasn't. Not even close.
Yes, and I think we pretty much all knew that already.
Still, this very thread is about 80s cliche sound/production.

Now, let's all chill out, put on some white tuxedo and get on the highway to the danger zone.
And now, you all hear and see Kenny Loggins singing that tune in your head
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenmann ➡️
Sorry, but my bad taste has limits. I could consider leopard spandex though, but only because I used to be a huge G
HAIR-metal fan.
FTFY :D
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why is it that whenever someone mentions the 80's words like "cheesy" are used ?
Musicians could play, singers could sing (no autotune) drummers and bass players could groove, engineers were engineering and producers were producing, not sucking the life out of every note by lining it up to a stoopid pro tools grid.

Can anyone really say an album like So by Peter Gabriel is cheesy ?
I can because i find him very overrated. sledgehammer may be well produced but is not a good song imo

So to me he does sound cheesy as there is no music there for me just sound...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Consider ignoring the thread entitled '80s sound' then?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
I can because i find him very overrated. sledgehammer may be well produced but is not a good song imo

Hmmm, well, for me - THAT song and the video introduced me to what pop music could be, sparked my imagination - because of the music, not just sound which is part of music anyway - interesting chords, interesting arrangement, great groove, cool singing...

After accidentally buying his soundtrack "Passion", expecting to hear Sledgehammer kind of songs when I was still too young to really appreciate it, it wholly changed my life - that album introduced me to world music, sound art - ambient sound, I learned about turkish ney, egyptian tabla, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Youssou N'Dour, L.Shankar, etc. And what strong emotional impact well constructed music can have. It was divine to me. I was immersing and escaping reality with this album so many times. I didn't need drugs when I had "Passion" soundtrack.

All that just from that one single album. The most important thing of my young musical life.

PG was highly influential and his songwriting is as good as his sound aesthetics and superb taste for world music. Hardly overrated - go check all his solo pop albums and the work he has done with Genesis. And check the list of great world music stars he introduced to general western audience... You can't overrate Peter Gabriel.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

"facepalm"

It's one of the top ten albums of the eighties... Monkey dub is better!?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh ➡️
"facepalm"

It's one of the top ten albums of the eighties... Monkey dub is better!?
Sorry to illicit a facepalm by not liking the same stuff as you, you must be in constant pain if you facepalm every time you hear an opinion different to yours... Btw what is Monkey Dub?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
Consider ignoring the thread entitled '80s sound' then?
Que?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nothing wrong with not liking that stuff, obviously. But coming into a thread entitled '80s sound' simply to inject some negativity seems unhelpful and counter productive.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener ➡️
Hmmm, well, for me - THAT song and the video introduced me to what pop music could be, sparked my imagination - because of the music, not just sound which is part of music anyway - interesting chords, interesting arrangement, great groove, cool singing...

After accidentally buying his soundtrack "Passion", expecting to hear Sledgehammer kind of songs when I was still too young to really appreciate it, it wholly changed my life - that album introduced me to world music, sound art - ambient sound, I learned about turkish ney, egyptian tabla, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Youssou N'Dour, L.Shankar, etc. And what strong emotional impact well constructed music can have. It was divine to me. I was immersing and escaping reality with this album so many times. I didn't need drugs when I had "Passion" soundtrack.

All that just from that one single album. The most important thing of my young musical life.

PG was highly influential and his songwriting is as good as his sound aesthetics and superb taste for world music. Hardly overrated - go check all his solo pop albums and the work he has done with Genesis. And check the list of great world music stars he introduced to general western audience... You can't overrate Peter Gabriel.
Dont get me wrong i know he's a legend i just cant stand genesis, think there are lots of better 80's music than So and have never been into world music/womad/ Andy Kershaw...

It's all opinion, the 80's is very divisive...i dont hate a lot of things but for some reason hate howard jones, but it's just opinion...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
Nothing wrong with not liking that stuff, obviously. But coming into a thread entitled '80s sound' simply to inject some negativity seems unhelpful and counter productive.
Well all i was going to say was that for the 80's is when sonic quality and musicality started to depart. I like lots of 80's music and not sure saying I don't like Gabriel is negative but it obviously upset a few peeps
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
gated digital reverb, drum machines, and polysynths. Also the mental association with 80s clothing, hair and design that colors our perception.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Musicians could play, singers could sing (no autotune) drummers and bass players could groove, engineers were engineering and producers were producing, not sucking the life out of every note by lining it up to a stoopid pro tools grid.

Can anyone really say an album like So by Peter Gabriel is cheesy ?
I think it is because some of the bad apples were SO ROTTEN that their stench has been lingering for decades, and will probably never go away. There are certain things your eyes may see or ears hear that scar you as a human being - the 80s had it all.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein ➡️
Tape, DX7, some analog synth, ssl desk, neve preamps (for AC/DC), some low bit sampling... And songwriting.
I hate to say this but the last 10 years has been about producing music that will sell. The 80s was about a love of music and amazing melodies and a culture.

The 80s was the time where artists/musicians collaborated equally on the creative side as engineers/producers, because half the song was done with technology for the first time - high tech instruments were now mainstream. Not to say previously producers/engineers weren't creative, but in the 80s I believe it was an equal collaboration, and it was excited. Record labels weren't stupid they also had to sell, but they were also in this culture and recognised when something was cool AND would sell.

Since then I think for mainstream music production has taken over rather than musicianship and we've lost the subtle and complicated melodies and more interesting compositional decisions.

Melodies back then seemed more memorable, and had more than 3 notes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
think there are lots of better 80's music than So .
Thats of course subjective (though I do think that So is highly regarded amongst a lot of musicians and producers). But even though you might not like the songs on So, the sound of it is incredible (as with all peter gabriel albums).

Im very surprised that no-one mentioned the Yamaha REV7/REV5 and Roland Dimension D chorus. These where used a lot in the 80ies on practically everything from guitars to drums to synths.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stark ➡️
i read in another thread, a trick for 80's top end sizzle is to turn the dolby off while recording and turn it on while playing back.

anyone remember this one?
I don't remember that technique but if you wanted a fizzy bump using noise reduction you would record with it on and playback with it off.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EisenAudio ➡️
Direct guitars. No amps. Don't be afraid to try it. Take a single coil through some modulation pedals with the amount knobs turned nearly all the way down and then print it through your best DI.

I've been listening to **** tons of 80s pop music while staring at a DK meter the whole time, so I can tell you with some authority that the use of dynamic range is very different than 70s or 90s. There's usually more dynamic range (not from section to section, but in any given bar), and judicious use of it in shaping the mix. I wasn't making records then, and the 80s cat who first trained me to engineer had grown out of those techniques, so I can only deduce or speculate, but here are some observations nonetheless...

• Albums were being recorded for CD for the first time, and engineers were really psyched about not having to fear the noise floor so much and being able to maintain transients in the process. There was heavy use of noise reduction during track/mix, and mastering engineers were using the noiseless digital as an opportunity not to have to make things louder.

• Sampled, triggered, and synthesized sounds were so consistent in their performance volume that you didn't have to use compression. Moreover, studio musicians had been encouraged to play this way since disco, and good engineers could meet them half way, with the end result being little difference between man and machine. And when all of your performances have this quality of note-on always the same volume and note-off practically non-existent, then it leaves so much space for a open, dynamic mix, with fast and disparate sounds.
+1
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks ➡️
Thats of course subjective (though I do think that So is highly regarded amongst a lot of musicians and producers). But even though you might not like the songs on So, the sound of it is incredible (as with all peter gabriel albums).

Im very surprised that no-one mentioned the Yamaha REV7/REV5 and Roland Dimension D chorus. These where used a lot in the 80ies on practically everything from guitars to drums to synths.
No argument that it sounds incredible just not a lot there musically imvho.. I think similar stuff would be FGTH or New Order I find them more musical but others may be left cold by them and think its all sound effects. Ok so whilst no one is asking to hear Sledgegammer performed on an acoustic guitar its this sonics vs musicality thing that i think is so prevalent in 80's music and it seems to be music from this era most likely to leave people cold..

To me the ultimate 80's album would be Thriller - Sonics + Tunes = perfect 80's album.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
No argument that it sounds incredible just not a lot there musically imvho.. I think similar stuff would be FGTH or New Order I find them more musical but others may be left cold by them and think its all sound effects. Ok so whilst no one is asking to hear Sledgegammer performed on an acoustic guitar its this sonics vs musicality thing that i think is so prevalent in 80's music and it seems to be music from this era most likely to leave people cold..

To me the ultimate 80's album would be Thriller - Sonics + Tunes = perfect 80's album.
Sledgehammer works on acoustic - check youtube...

But I see no reason to listen to acoustic versions without that über cool bassline that makes it really happen. New Order were fine, but I wouldn't put them "musically" on par with any of the PG albums... But hey - we are debating taste here... and it is... different for all. Oh, and if Sledgehammer leaves you cold - go listen to "Mercy Street" from the same album or the famous duet with Kate Bush...

I loved Thriller, too, but I much prefer PG opus. And one of the greatest 80s pop albums for me - Kate Bush' "Sensual World" - "Rocket's tail" gives me shivers every time and "This Woman's work" can make grown man cry. It's packed with great production ideas and great songwriting and yes, I loved the fact she also collaborated with PG. Hey, I'm a fan, can't deny it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Famous Yard ➡️
I grew up in the 80s (no apostrophe btw)
Actually the apostrophe goes in the front ('80s) because it's the "19" that you're leaving out. Carry on...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener ➡️
Sledgehammer works on acoustic - check youtube...

But I see no reason to listen to acoustic versions without that über cool bassline that makes it really happen. New Order were fine, but I wouldn't put them "musically" on par with any of the PG albums... But hey - we are debating taste here... and it is... different for all. Oh, and if Sledgehammer leaves you cold - go listen to "Mercy Street" from the same album or the famous duet with Kate Bush...

I loved Thriller, too, but I much prefer PG opus. And one of the greatest 80s pop albums for me - Kate Bush' "Sensual World" - "Rocket's tail" gives me shivers every time and "This Woman's work" can make grown man cry. It's packed with great production ideas and great songwriting and yes, I loved the fact she also collaborated with PG. Hey, I'm a fan, can't deny it.
I'd really rather not :D

I dont find new order very musical and not a big fan but is a good example of that sound. Ironically FGTH were originally this london funk outfit and it was Trevor horn that introduced a lot of the musical stuff I like during the production phase

Oh 'Don't give up' is a good tune that he did with Kate Bush but KB is much more talented imho imho
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
feel I've derailed the topic slightly and whilst these links are brought out all the time it doesn't hurt to include them again:

Classic Albums:

Rio

edit:
will try to find decent links for So, Graceland, Hysteria, Face Value and Joshua Tree
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh ➡️
"facepalm"

It's one of the top ten albums of the eighties...
That may say more about the 80s than PG.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My head hurts reading all the suggestions here.

So, I'll mention ONE part of my 80s workflow tips that absolutely planted my engineering into the 80s sound...(ie.. for the moment, I'll not talk about dx7s, gated drums, synths, micing, tracking notes, techniques, consoles etc).

The ONE thing that constantly stood out for me from (in MY sessions then which definitely sound 80s all the way) was that I had all my analog recorders turned OFF. For about 8 years. All the time... off.

I had piles of da88s, Fairlights, Synclaviers (like everyone else around town) and those ALONE gave a completely different sound to the captured signal.... in fact, my tape machines were way too organic sounding plus.. the thrill of the new digital machines was all-present.

Anyway... the one thing that sounded WAY different to me ..day to day...was the presence of 48-56 tracks of synchronized 16bit stuff with the converters that were on the recorders of 1981-88 (for my projects).

There was/is definitely a cumulative "something" going on with that sound... even before you hit the console to mix it (or staying inside the Fairlight to mix circa 1986).

After that little fact to my ears, the other discussions then come in regarding synths, arranging etc. Which are covered all over the place on this thread by others.

The coolest thing about the 80s was people from the 70s stopped asking me to add a syndrum sound to stuff. That alone was a huge jump into the new decade.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenmann ➡️
That's the reason why I talked about Glenn Frey's You Belong To The City and Wet Wet Wet's Sweet Little Mystery as the kind of sound(s) I was referring too.
You know, the kind of detail you could have noticed, had you paid attention to the initial message before getting grumpy.
Sorry if it read harsh, i did get what you're referring to, I can assure you I don't get grumpy over things like this it's just that I truly don't get why that decade has this "cheesy" label to it when you'll find cheesy music in just about any period (gangnam style anyone ?), maybe it was the clothes ?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry if it read harsh, i did get what you're referring to, I can assure you I don't get grumpy over things like this it's just that I truly don't get why that decade has this "cheesy" label to it when you'll find cheesy music in just about any period (gangnam style anyone ?), maybe it was the clothes ?
The clothes certainly didn't help. Lest we forget:

Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I could go on.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK before this threads waddles down and drowns in the chorused halls of the PCM 70...
In no particular order.. Martha & the muffins, Sonic Youth, The dB's, Suicide, The Rich Kids, Blondie & anything that Mike Chapman was involved with...Violent Femmes, Husker Du......

Just a friendly reminder now you can spandau back to aha..
📝 Reply