Quantcast
Sebatron gain question. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sebatron gain question.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Sebatron gain question.

The available gain on the preamp is 60db, now as i understand it the pad is probably necessary for some sounds. Pardon my ignorance, but if i am forced to use the 25db pad to get a clean sound won't that reduce the available gain to 35db overall? How much gain is needed with a condenser when recording into a DAW?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Condensers do not need very much gain, but if you need more gain you can put a 10 dB pad in between the mic and preamp instead of using the 25 dB pad.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I see, it does also have a 15db pad. My concern is not having enough gain, i won't be using dynamics or ribbons except maybe the Blue Woodpecker which i think has more gain than a typical ribbon. So am i correct in assuming that naturally using the 25db pad reduces the overall gain of the preamp by 25db?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
It has 60 dB of gain, but it increases the volume of the padded signal. So, yes, in a way it will only have 35 dB of gain. You would only need the pad for really loud sources, so you won't need a lot of gain in those situations.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
For vocals I use the Blue Woodpecker with the Sebatron and couldn't be happier with the sound. I use the phantom power on the Sebatron with the -15 pad and feed that into the Purple Action Compressor to gain stage with mild compression which goes into the Purple Odd Eq to smooth the vocal and add some sweet top end. Let me know if you have questions or want sound samples!

--Justin Noroyan
๐Ÿ“ Reply