Recording Guitar & Woodwinds - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Guitar & Woodwinds
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Recording Guitar & Woodwinds

Hey

I am looking for a mic and a pre-amp to get professional recordings of acoustic guitars, woodwinds and sometimes vocals.
Someone recommended a Neumann TLM 103 and a Daking Mic Pre One.

I am total newbie in this field... are there any better alternatives for the same price?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by keman ➡️
Hey

I am looking for a mic and a pre-amp to get professional recordings of acoustic guitars, woodwinds and sometimes vocals.

I am total newbie in this field... are there any better alternatives for the same price?
Lots of options out there and almost all of the answers will be subjective. The Daking would be a fine choice. Another good one in the price point (even cheaper actually) is the True System P-solo. The TLM 103 is an OK mic, but many people feel there are better mics for the same money or less. I would take a close look at mics from Shure, Audio Technica and Microtech-Geffell in that price range.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by keman ➡️
Hey

The techniques used for vocals and guitar would be different. And there are many.

In my opinion and typical but not exclusive go-to setup for acoustic guitar would use two small diaphragm condenser mics into a dual mic pre. The classics are the AKG 451/460/480 family, the Neumann KM84, etc. But the 1990s vintage Oktava MK/MC-012 delivers a respectable sound on a budget. There are other, newer inexpensive SD mics but I am not familiar with them.

The choice of mic and pre style for vocal is all over the place depending upon the context.

I am a fan of Daking, which is an emulation of a classic vintage console. There are many variations of vintage console-style pres from ADesigns, Daking and many others. This is okay, but I wonder if for your first 'good' pre you might not want something like a John Hardy, kind of a classic in the industry.

I'm not a huge fan of the 103, but there is nothing wrong with it. In that price range and lower there are many choices, you might spend some time auditioning other options for vocals. If you just need to find what works best for you it is easier, if you are trying to buy one mic to cover everyone that walks through the door, that is a bit more difficult. Just as everyone doesn't wear a size 44L suit coat, every voice doesn't sound it's best through any given mic.

I have found that I get more value from buying mic pres in pairs... like, the Daking One also comes in a 2 channel version. The John Hardy comes in a single rack space that can hold 4 of his pres. The pricing is good and you then have matching pairs of pres when you want that stereo thing.

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Consider your choices and come back and ask questions. Consider who is recommending what... like, is the salesman your friend, with your best interests at heart or is he a guy on commission trying to move what is not selling this week, or pushing the product with the best margins for the company? Has the guy recommending the $30 mic as being just as good as the $3,000 ever USED the $3,000 mic?

Also, it does not hurt to save your money, and buy one better tool at a time rather than buy six cheap ones. In the long run, if you buy once and buy right you'll save money. Like, if you were to buy an original used AKG 451 for about $350, it would be a lot of years before you needed to think about replacing it... if ever... or buying something better.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree with the posts that say - "it's totally subjective".

There is no One-Size-Fits-All.

A mic should contour to your voice the way a well-tailored
suit of clothes is supposed to be tailored to your body . . .

Also - the Mic is the Lens of the Audio Camera.

The ONLY thing that matters more is the Tonality of the Source (Voice/Instrument).
📝 Reply