Quantcast
(Mostly Vocals) Mic M149 Alternatives? under $5k - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
(Mostly Vocals) Mic M149 Alternatives? under $5k
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
(Mostly Vocals) Mic M149 Alternatives? under $5k

Currently I have the following, (the sound descriptions are as i find them sounding):

AKG C414 BXLS - a bit 'boxy'/'plastic' sounding
Blue Bluebird, - muddy, but ok highs
Rode Nt1-a, - annoying highs, cheap mids
Shure sm7b, - ok for Rock-orieted vocals
sm58 - ok midrange, not enough highs. only use it for scratch vocals. sennheiser e838 - similiar to sm58 but more extended highs and less mids, more bottom. use it for live sound and scratch vocals.

Out of all these I mostly Use c414, it sounds more 'high quality' than any of the other ones. and very rarely use sm7b or bluebird.

I mostly record vocals (male and female) in these genres:

Acapellas, 4-voice (vocal) quartets,
Gospel,
generic Pop-oriented songs,
Ballads,
Dance/trance.

and sometimes (but I'm not deeply concerned about these yet): Alternative rock, rock, hip-hop, country. (anyways, I have rock-oriented stuff covered by sm7b).

I also record acoustic Guitars (nylon and steel), Saxophones, Violin.

I heard recordings made by few people than I know, using M149, 2 of them using m149 thru Avalon 737 and another thru ad2022.

I liked the sound of m149 thru ad2022 much more than 737.
So I will most likely get Avalon M5 as a next pre.
currently I'm using RME built in pres.

listening to this audio samples:
mikrofon vergleich mikrofone im vergleich mikrofonvergleich h
I really liked soundelux elux251, but it's way over my budget.

I heard u87 recordings, but I wasn't as much impressed, as i was by m149.

So which mics out there are similiar to m149 (or 251), but for more affordable price? under $5k.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Right now there are several M149's on evil-bay priced in your budget. One is at about a $2800 bid and another is a buy it now for $3500. If you're really looking for an M149 pick one up used.

For vocals I probably use the M149 more than any other mic I've got access to. I really like what it does. Not saying I wouldn't like others too but I've not used anything for vocals that I liked as much on as many voices.

With a $5000 budget you can pick up a used 149 and have enough to buy a nice preamp too.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➑️
listening to this audio samples:
mikrofon vergleich mikrofone im vergleich mikrofonvergleich h
I really liked soundelux elux251, but it's way over my budget.
I also prefered the 251 in this test but found the Rode Classic being rather close.
Old 21st September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So which mics out there are similiar to m149 (or 251), but for more affordable price? under $5k.
In regards to the 251 inspiration, I would strongly recommend the Blackspade UM25,

This microphone has a wonderful presence and sheen, with a warm mid range, and VERY low noise. The NOS800 series Tube that is used in this mic, has an absolutely fantastic sound, for this style of microphone, in my viewpoint.

And if you REALLY want to take it over the top, go for the UM25C, which features a Campbell Transmitter CT12 capsule, along upgraded components and US made power supply.

A pair of these fine specimens can be had for the price of one costly clone.

In regard to comparing the M149, well....I would suggest the Gefell UM92.1s, as another option.

may the force be with you,
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
All the Gefell valve (vacuum tube) microphones are under this price.

The UM 900 is very distinctive and is phantom powered (so you don't need a separate power supply).

The UM 92.1 S uses the famous Georg Neumann M7 capsule.

The "new" CMV 563 / M 7 S is a re-release of the 1950's original and also uses the Georg Neumann M7 capsule.

This last one is pushing the budget, though, it sells for about Β£3,900 +VAT in the UK.

But, I would have thought, any of these should be considered - after all, they are all made in the original Neumann factory
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
All the Gefell valve (vacuum tube) microphones are under this price.

The UM 900 is very distinctive and is phantom powered (so you don't need a separate power supply).

The UM 92.1 S uses the famous Georg Neumann M7 capsule.

But, I would have thought, any of these should be considered - after all, they are all made in the original Neumann factory
I agree with John! These should definitely be on your list, as well as:

Josephson 715 or 716
Brauner Phantera (or Valvet X)
Beesneez T2 (or maybe the Phelicity)
Violet Design Flamingo (not junior), maybe with their ME capsule

These are all great mics, remember that every vocals has a mic that suits best, depending also from the genre and the goals you want to reach.

Try to test them in your place with the talents involved.

I'd also try to test with some different pre's like Forssell smp-2, Hardy's M1 and if you need some more color look for the BAE 10xx series (or the Avedis MA5 in the 500 series).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
+1 for the Gefell UM92 -- Fantastic microphone! LOVE it on vocals and stringed instruments.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The M149 is great! In my opinion it is a hifi, vibey, and better sounding version of the U87. I own both. If I were you, I'd pick up a used M149 or a Gefell UM900. Both are great and somewhat similar. However, don't be quick to dismiss a U87. They handle eq well and sound good to great on most sources.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Much less than you wanted to spend, but Michael Jolly's new mic would be worth a try!
I got him to work on a Mic I hated, now it's my Fav
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
No one mentioned Mohave Audio MA200. Great mic! Fixed pattern though...
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I traded a 149 for a 87 ..(whatever that means).
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Listening to various audio comparissons im starting to like u87 much more. Maybe i'll start off with u87 and later upgrade to a high end mic(s).
Old 3rd October 2012
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I would far sooner get the black spade than the u87, youre paying a primium for the name, the spade is cheaper but sounds way better and is more apropriate for your stated apps, imo.

Sent from my MB855
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
We have Sounddelux (Bock) 251s and Neumann U47 which are both outside your price range. But we recently bought a Wunder CM67. Definitely worth the try. wonderful highs and pleasant low end. Less midrange scooped than the 251s. Less prone to react badly to hard (think Aretha) soul vocals compared to U47. In our studio, it's really used a lot these days. Price is definitely not to bad.

Wouldn't call a U87 not high end by the way :-)
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You ought to consider the ADK Custom Shop mics... u could get two for $5000, cover a lot of ground.

Here's a thread where I put the ADK CS-67-J against a Wunder cm7gt... ADK was so much better IMO.
Wunder CM7gt/k47 VS. ADK CS-67-J - can you pick?

ADK site...
ADK Custom Shop Microphones, Pre-Amps, Compressors

All the best.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
btw, the Gefell um92.1 is really dark... too dark for most pop music unless u add a lot of eq. That capsule sure is sweet but prob better in another mic.
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Agreed on the UM92. I've had good luck with big, full male vocals with enough sibilance to cut through the "darkness". It takes a special voice to fit that mic. But when it fits... it FITS. At least that's what she said...
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
listening to various audio shootouts I started liking u87 alot, and than hearing from different people that tlm103 is very similar to u87, I thought i'd save alota money and bought tlm103.
so far ok, i only used it on vocals so far.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
listening to various audio shootouts I started liking u87 alot, and than hearing from different people that tlm103 is very similar to u87, I thought i'd save alota money and bought tlm103.
similar? i never thought so. glad it's working for you though.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily ➑️
similar? i never thought so. glad it's working for you though.
i never compared them side to side myself of course. I don't have big experience in mics. I'm super excited about tlm103,
but its definitely better than my sloppy blue bluebird and horrible nt1-a.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Under $5k... someone must have mentioned the Bock 251. Killer vocal mic. Killer all around mic.
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Got one of these at the studio and its fantastic...

RMS49
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Strange...but if it works for you, go for it.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen ➑️
The M149 is great! In my opinion it is a hifi, vibey, and better sounding version of the U87. I own both.
+1

Coincident in opinion.
I own both too.

R.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nothing that I am aware of sounds exactly like a Neumann M149. Its a very fine mic, can be used for lots of things, and is probably a modern classic. If you like that sound you need to buy one of those. As mentioned, you can get them used for $3,500. I think old pre-1986 Neumann U87 mics are also great, but not necessarily better than an M149, just a little different. GENERALLY SPEAKING, the M149 might be the 1st choice for most female singers and an old U87 might be better on most male singers, but both of these are very fine, almost universal, vocal mics that can work in 95% of most situations. They are SMOOTH and polished in the mid range and the vocals come out sounding like a finished record. Most of the U87Ai mics are not as bad as some people claim but I would always prefer the older U87 if possible.

These 2 Neumanns are in a whole other class compared to the Rode and (subjectively) better vocal mics than most of the other suggestions here. They will also keep their value should you ever have to sell them in the future. I am not so sure that would apply to some of the other suggestions even if those are fine mics too.
πŸ“ Reply