Quantcast
Trouble finding eq for tracking - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble finding eq for tracking
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Trouble finding eq for tracking

I've driven myself mad trying to figure out which way to go. I need an EQ processor 500 series of course to mainly use during tracking mainly with vocals (AVEDIS MA5 > MYSTERY EQ > WUNDER CM 7) Also I'd like to use it perhaps on electric guitar and acoustic guitar. Keep in mind tracking is what I'm going to use it mainly for. I have a Step EQ and I love it for mixing a little too much for tracking but so far here's the deal

AVEDIS e27 - I'd have to SELL MY SOUL to get one of these just lost the auction today on ebay (two of them hovering around $1700.00) recently so not going to happen unless someone wants to sell me one IF YOU HAVE ONE FOR SALE BY ALL MEANS PM ME!!!!
NEVE 1073LB EQ - Not familiar with it tried the Mic pre of course the name says it all I am leaning in this direction though the price is a drawback
PURPLE AUDIO - forget the name of the EQ model again haven't really dealt with this one
BUZZ AUDIO - again I plead ignorance I just haven't read up on this one either

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE HELP A GEAR JUNKIE out here

I've tried api 550a, maag eq4, speck, harrison, all okay but didn't quite do it for me (i suspect its more to do with myself than the EQ however I still NEED recommendations please)

PHOENIX AUDIO - I've heard nothing about this brand
ALTA MODA - there's one around a good price at a european site british I believe
ELECTRODYNE - heard good things still not sure

Now the NEVE 1073 EQ appears quite tempting but what I Want to know is are there ANY EQ's that are either similiar to the AVEDIS E27 or as good?

Remember mainly tracking vocals, acoustic gtr, electric gtr while I also use an Inward Connections Step (sorta pultec-ish) EQ.

Oh yeah tried a little devil good on mixing didn't really do it for me given the price.

I am going nuts surfing from site to site trying to find anything that would match up with an E27 which I would surmise to be the Creme De La Creme esp. for vocals.

Just one more thing about AVEDIS my MA5 is incredible for my vocal tracks so I would assume that all AVEDIS processors are a joy and I can't stress enough how much I'd love to have the E27. So essentially an EQ that is like the E27 if that even exists I understand they all have their own flavor. I'd prefer not to spend too much but my max. budget is around $1400.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

alligator
Old 21st September 2012
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Have you ever actually used an e27? You seem hell bent on it being the holy grail, curious how you came to that conclusion.

In my experience, no tool sounds like any other tool, so if your heart is set on that one then you might need to just bite the bullet. $1700 for one channel of 500 eq... it better wash the friggin' dishes too.

I can only hope this is part of a-designs fiendish strategy to crank up desire and demand for their soon-to-be-reissued e27. In fact, it may be time to, ahh, discontinue the clariphonic for a while...

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It seems to me that you have made up your mind that you need a e27.
Then just buy one when you can find one, or that itch will never go away,
no matter what EQ you' ll buy insted.
I eq by choosing different mic' s and mic position and track with a compressor
when recording vocals, acoustic or electric guitar, but thats the boring answer.
Of course a HP filter can be useful.

Good luck!!
Old 21st September 2012

🎧 10 years
Yeah I was watching those e27s too but they went for a silly price IMO. I can only assume people are jumping on the band wagon without having heard them. They are nice (I have a pair) but not that much nicer than, say my 550a's. Just a slightly different vibe.

A designs re-issue (it's not an A designs eq) Do you have an inside line on this Greg?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Okay lemme rephase what I am trying to say there is NO SNOWBALL's CHANCE IN HADES that I will EVER GET AN E27 I am just giving the damn thing up. HOWEVER what would be SIMILIAR? I am looking in the direction of the NEVE 1073LB EQ for 1300.00 retail or so at vintage king. I understand the MA5 mic pre is Nevish so I would assume (wrong or right) that the E27 is Nevish as well I know I am jumping to conclusions but would not the next best thing to an AVEDIS E27 be the NEVE 1073LB EQ? If not ANYONE I am asking just give me a good tracking EQ that would work out great I understand that very statement is convoluted in the sense that it depends on one's taste and preference. I tried harrisons, specks, Maag's, API 550a's, Pultec A Designs, Chandler Little devil (great for mixing).

Keep also in mind I am extremely happy actually thrilled with my Inward Connections STEP EQ. It works amazing things on mixing. Eddie Kramer used the STEP EQ on a Jimi Hendrix Album for mixing from 1969 he swears by them PM me if you want a link to a site where you can still buy one. (granted its british in pounds but hey nowhere in the U.S. can you get a STEP EQ). just wondering how the STEP EQ compares to the IMPULSE EQ they look almost exactly the same both 2 modules in size pultec-ish sort of.

HELP!
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator ➡️
[...] I need an EQ processor 500 series of course to mainly use during tracking mainly with vocals (AVEDIS MA5 > MYSTERY EQ > WUNDER CM 7) Also I'd like to use it perhaps on electric guitar and acoustic guitar. [...]
Hello Alligator,
I am in the market for a pair of 500 EQ all well.
Mainly for tracking, but also for stem shaping and mixing.
Like you, it will be used for vocal and guitars.
I dig the same contenders as you, but recently I add the Lindell Audio PEX-500 on my list, this is a passive pultec-ish EQ...
PEX-500 | Lindell Audio
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
I can only hope this is part of a-designs fiendish strategy to crank up desire and demand for their soon-to-be-reissued e27. In fact, it may be time to, ahh, discontinue the clariphonic for a while...
Gregory Scott - ubk
Wait til I get one first!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While 500 series may be the form factor you want, if you have not found what you are looking for and don't want to up the budget then loose that off the want list and start looking at standard full rack units. If it's the Pultec vibe you seek have you tried a parametric with overlapping bands so you can set the same center frequency on two bands but cut one with a wide Q and boost the other with a narrow Q? If it's the mojo thing you seek have you tried inductors with what their saturation and ringing brings? It kind of looks like one of those things to kept auditioning everything that passes your way and pay a visit to a few fellow local gearslutz if they are willing to let you try out what they have. You will know it when you hear it kind of things.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've driven myself mad trying to figure out which way to go. I need an EQ processor 500 series of course to mainly use during tracking mainly with vocals (AVEDIS MA5 > MYSTERY EQ > WUNDER CM 7) Also I'd like to use it perhaps on electric guitar and acoustic guitar. Keep in mind tracking is what I'm going to use it mainly for. I have a Step EQ and I love it for mixing a little too much for tracking but so far here's the deal

AVEDIS e27 - I'd have to SELL MY SOUL to get one of these just lost the auction today on ebay (two of them hovering around $1700.00) recently so not going to happen unless someone wants to sell me one IF YOU HAVE ONE FOR SALE BY ALL MEANS PM ME!!!!
NEVE 1073LB EQ - Not familiar with it tried the Mic pre of course the name says it all I am leaning in this direction though the price is a drawback
PURPLE AUDIO - forget the name of the EQ model again haven't really dealt with this one

I've tried api 550a, maag eq4, speck, harrison, all okay but didn't quite do it for me (i suspect its more to do with myself than the EQ however I still NEED recommendations please)

ALTA MODA - there's one around a good price at a european site british I believe

Now the NEVE 1073 EQ appears quite tempting but what I Want to know is are there ANY EQ's that are either similiar to the AVEDIS E27 or as good?

Remember mainly tracking vocals, acoustic gtr, electric gtr while I also use an Inward Connections Step (sorta pultec-ish) EQ.

Oh yeah tried a little devil good on mixing didn't really do it for me given the price.

I am going nuts surfing from site to site trying to find anything that would match up with an E27 which I would surmise to be the Creme De La Creme esp. for vocals.

Just one more thing about AVEDIS my MA5 is incredible for my vocal tracks so I would assume that all AVEDIS processors are a joy and I can't stress enough how much I'd love to have the E27. So essentially an EQ that is like the E27 if that even exists I understand they all have their own flavor. I'd prefer not to spend too much but my max. budget is around $1400.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

alligator
The Buzz Audio Tonic 500 series EQ is stellar! It's versatile and it sounds wonderful. It can be as mellow or aggressive as you need it to be. Check one out asap.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
1700 is wayyyyy too much for an E27 and you should realize you have bought into the unobtanium hype.

Great EQ but not as mystical as you describe. How could it be your ideal when you have never used one? Thats some internet thinking right there...

You started another thread asking about buying a Helios module. For tracking EQ that would be great on vox and perfect for acoustic guitar. Plus its hard to over do it and regret later like most EQs. You would also get a preamp that is the antithesis of the MA5- much more clear.

Having only had my vintage Helios modules for over a month, I admit Im in the honeymoon stage... But Im nuts for them for tracking. Its like having my GMLs back with more color and musicality. Ive been running 1084s for so long I forgot what an open pre sounds like!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Cheers

alligator
Hi Alligator

We have a CM7 Demo mic here which is kind of similar to GT model, both of these mics deffinately benefit from a bit of extra highs from an eq during tracking, and they take eq very well also.

I have allways really liked the 1073 EQ with the CM7. I usually use the Vintech X73i for this most of the time but have also tried it with the 500 series Vintech preamp and Harrison EQ, and the Purple Odd EQ, neither of which really compare to the EQ on the X73i when it comes to the CM7.

For some reason that EQ just works really well and not as fiddly as say the harrison eq can be, usually its just a case of adding a small 12k boost, and 80hz Hi pass filter and am pretty much there, mid band eq setting would depend on singer and song but usually would also add a little hi-mid boost also.

Wunder's PEQ2R is also a really good pairing with the CM7, and really simple to use to get a great sound.

I know there are a few 500 series modules like the Neve 1073LBEQ, and the Chandler Little Devil EQ which is based on the 1081.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
IMO neither Purple eq's did anything for me, GR Harrisons Hi and Lo pass filters are great but a bit touchy, and the eq is ok but a pain in the ass to recall. Electrodyne 511's are very cool but not all rounded and certainly not tracking eq's in my opinion. I found Phoenix to be build like **** and sound similar. Maag is also great but the designer himself mentions in his product video that this is a sweetening eq. I would look into something with an adjustable Q slope that can get very tight. Mine is the IC EQP2, nothing I can't do with them. I also have a pair of StepEQ's that are fantastic for mixing but I never have the erg to reach for them during tracking. As for the e27's, I have fallen into the hype and own 20 e27's.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixing Suite ➡️
As for the e27's, I have fallen into the hype and own 20 e27's.

You idoot.

Idoot- you fell 3.35 times more for the hype than I did-I only got 6 e27's, you idoot!!!

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Praise the lord!

Thank you for actually offering advice and experience. Too many times on this board I see cheap shallow one liners to legitimate questions that suggest to me maturity issues with some folk here or they just can't stop posting photos of how great their lunchbox is yadda yadda (who cares about some picture of a lunchbox I mean really do we even give a ****?). Its good to know the 1073 EQ works well with the Wunder CM 7 and the other EQ's i.e. harrison, purple audio that you mentioned also suggested to me that those were not the route to go. I am pretty set on the Neve 1073 EQ but you know I might not like it suppose it depends on my tastes and talents and training and yes I know only a good engineer can make it sound good well I'm trying to be good at this it will be about 5 years till I get my 4 year music production degree.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
forget the 500 series. save your pennies and get a manley massive passive. it is absolutely perfect for everything you said you wanted it for, and then some.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As for the e27's, I have fallen into the hype and own 20 e27's.
Nothing wrong with liking the e27- its a great eq. The hype question is did you pay $34,000 for the 20 you have?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the jlmaudio peq500. I have no experience with the e27 but when I was reading up before purchase people were saying they are on par. Very similar beasts.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Nice

Quote:
$1700 for one channel of 500 eq... it better wash the friggin' dishes too.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Funny I was thinking the same thing.
I too would recommend the Clariphonic, which can do much more than sweeten while tracking.

I like eqs with broad low q swaths for tracking.
I like the Purple Lil peqr for this too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb ➡️
Nothing wrong with liking the e27- its a great eq. The hype question is did you pay $34,000 for the 20 you have?
Hey Emwolb, no I did not. IMHO everything we buy is over priced, so we've all paid too much at some point. If dropping $1700 on an e27 makes one happy, I say go for it. What did the 1084's run you? We all know those aren't cheap and have gone up in price over the years. Were you happy after the purchase? I bet you were. To each their own.

Peace
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam ➡️
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the jlmaudio peq500. I have no experience with the e27 but when I was reading up before purchase people were saying they are on par. Very similar beasts.
Actually, I have recommended the JLM PEQ500 in one of the OP's other numerous posts re finding an EQ to fill his needs.....

I’m also pretty sure he’s referring to me, in respect “posting a picture of my LB.” Despite what he thinks my motivation was to post it, he’s missed the point: I simply posted a picture to show him what PEQ500’s look like as they’re not very common around here, yet for those of us that know and use them, very highly regarded. I also paid several hundred dollars less than the cost of a used E27 for a pair. I sure didn’t post them to ‘show them off’ is he has so aggressively stated
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
With the 550a, u should of been able to sweeten the vocal etc nicely. Try a Daking eq, very powerful and u don't need to add a ton.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Emwolb, no I did not. IMHO everything we buy is over priced, so we've all paid too much at some point. If dropping $1700 on an e27 makes one happy, I say go for it. What did the 1084's run you? We all know those aren't cheap and have gone up in price over the years. Were you happy after the purchase? I bet you were. To each their own.

Peace
1084s are expensive yes. But I actually have 31102s, not 1084s (what I own). I just call them 1084s because people know 1084s better and 31102s with a line mod are literally exactly the same. People tend to not know 31102s- which is exactly why I bought them and not 1084s. Much cheaper for the same exact thing- MINUS the hype. But thats not worth explaining time and time again as I have had to in the past.

I would NOT pay 8 to 9 grand for a pair of 1084s. Thats just stupid. BTW we just bought another pair of 31102s for 6K. Thats less than a new Neve 1073.

The point is the E27 has gone hype/mythical. Its not worth 1700. Vintage 1084s are also not worth 9000.

The OP is a perfect example of buying hype. Hes never used the E27 yet he is positive they are his holy grail- thats ridiculous.

Did you buy 20 without ever using one? Would you, if you were to have to do it again, pay 1700 per module? We both know your answer is absolutely not.

The last time I was at BAE getting BAE 1073s repaired, I was checking out the E27- before it was discontinued. Its a great EQ. Its built like a tank. It has a great feature set. And...

Its also absolutely NOT worth 1700 bucks... Hype. GS Hype.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb ➡️
1084s are expensive yes. But I actually have 31102s, not 1084s (what I own). I just call them 1084s because people know 1084s better and 31102s with a line mod are literally exactly the same. People tend to not know 31102s- which is exactly why I bought them and not 1084s. Much cheaper for the same exact thing- MINUS the hype. But thats not worth explaining time and time again as I have had to in the past.

I would NOT pay 8 to 9 grand for a pair of 1084s. Thats just stupid. BTW we just bought another pair of 31102s for 6K. Thats less than a new Neve 1073.

The point is the E27 has gone hype/mythical. Its not worth 1700. Vintage 1084s are also not worth 9000.

The OP is a perfect example of buying hype. Hes never used the E27 yet he is positive they are his holy grail- thats ridiculous.

Did you buy 20 without ever using one? Would you, if you were to have to do it again, pay 1700 per module? We both know your answer is absolutely not.

The last time I was at BAE getting BAE 1073s repaired, I was checking out the E27- before it was discontinued. Its a great EQ. Its built like a tank. It has a great feature set. And...

Its also absolutely NOT worth 1700 bucks... Hype. GS Hype.
I bought my first e27 without ever hearing one, and the rest followed after A/B'ing with other brands that I borrowed. I most likely wouldn't have it in me to buy 20 units for $34,000, that would be a tough pill to swallow. IMO the e27 is rising in value for a number of reasons. Craftsmanship, components, sound, customer service, hype, and the final key ingredient Scarcity. All the hype in the world wont drive the price up until you add Scarcity. Hype moves units, Scarcity ups the price. Same goes with rare art.

Peace
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I bought my first e27 without ever hearing one, and the rest followed after A/B'ing with other brands that I borrowed.
Peace

Yeah - mirrors my experience. I did not go for an e27 when they were new- I could not accept that it had a design error IMO, given one could not cut mud in drums- say 360 hz odd, and boost low end at say 110 hz odd at the same time when tracking/mixing.

Anyway- finally bought one second hand- and despite the "design flaw" in bands it just had that something in terms of the mids/high end and transient preservation that made me buy further units- despite having lots of other eqs to compare it to.

In terms of not being worth $1,700, well that it all subjective. For instance, if you wanted that diamond prism glow sound you get tracking a grand piano/saxaphone with an e27, it may well be worth it to that person.

But you could search around for something else for less money, for instance the mini massive without transformers to my ear can get an in the ball park glow on the mids- but then it only has 2 bands....and you would have to work to get the simiar vibe- not inherent to that eq..

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
$E-27$, Yea I did it!

I paid the "high price" for the E-27. To me its not a high price at all. I outbid a guy by $25 so that means someone else was willing to pay the same. I did not set the price, the market did. My point is.... If there is something you really want go for it, because settling for something that might sound like it, does not end up with the results you are really after. Now that I spent a few days with the E-27 I can see why everyone loves it. It is an amazing EQ. It has sparkle, sizzle, butter, and sheen. I know theres a lot more it can do that I have not even heard yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble finding eq for tracking-rack-e27.jpg   Trouble finding eq for tracking-eq-3.jpg  

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Greg, A Designs has nothing to do with the E27.. It was made by Avedis Audio.

And... unfortunately... there are no plans to re-issue it.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot ➡️
I paid the "high price" for the E-27. To me its not a high price at all. I outbid a guy by $25 so that means someone else was willing to pay the same. I did not set the price, the market did. My point is.... If there is something you really want go for it, because settling for something that might sound like it, does not end up with the results you are really after. Now that I spent a few days with the E-27 I can see why everyone loves it. It is an amazing EQ. It has sparkle, sizzle, butter, and sheen. I know theres a lot more it can do that I have not even heard yet. I own other "high end" sought after EQ's that I love aswell. I can tell you theres a reason why eveyone is goo goo crazy over the E-27 "THE SOUND!". I can also tell you if another one pops up on ebay it will go for around the same price or more because the only thing better than a Avedis E-27 is a pair of Avedis E-27's. BOOM SMACK!

Well said. Welcome to the club, my brotha.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot ➡️
I paid the "high price" for the E-27. To me its not a high price at all. I outbid a guy by $25 so that means someone else was willing to pay the same. I did not set the price, the market did. My point is.... If there is something you really want go for it, because settling for something that might sound like it, does not end up with the results you are really after. Now that I spent a few days with the E-27 I can see why everyone loves it. It is an amazing EQ. It has sparkle, sizzle, butter, and sheen. I know theres a lot more it can do that I have not even heard yet. I own other "high end" sought after EQ's that I love aswell. I can tell you theres a reason why eveyone is goo goo crazy over the E-27 "THE SOUND!". I can also tell you if another one pops up on ebay it will go for around the same price or more because the only thing better than a Avedis E-27 is a pair of Avedis E-27's. BOOM SMACK!
Roh roh..now you gone dunnit. The OP gets a little pissy when peeps post pics of their rigs lol
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
E-27

Quote:
Well said. Welcome to the club, my brotha.
Thanks!!! Just tracked vocals with it. AMAZING. Also reamped guitar and bass through it, There is something about the low end, its hard to describe. It just ends up perfect in the mix. Its every bit as good as my vintage 550's and I love my 550's.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➡️
Roh roh..now you gone dunnit. The OP gets a little pissy when peeps post pics of their rigs lol

Hahaha!
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble finding eq for tracking-127-studio-e-27.jpg  
📝 Reply