The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Alpha-Link MX
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
SSL Alpha-Link MX

Solid State Logic | Music | Alpha-Link MX

After searching high and low, I can't believe there isn't a thread about these converters yet - usually there are several threads pertaining to a single piece of gear.

Anyways, I was keen to discover SSL's newest addition to their AD/DA lineup, the Alpha-Link MX series which was released in June of this year. I'm in the market for new converters and I had set my hopes on the Lynx Aurora 8 after hearing nothing but good things about them. I had always liked the Alpha-Link AX, but at this point, I certainly don't need 24i/o. The MX is specifically targeted towards the project studio, offering two different 1u configurations of 16 in, 4 out; and 4 in, 16 out.

What interests me so much about this offering is the price. I can buy one of these bad boys new for $1800CAD with a MADI Extreme 64 card. I was quoted $2000CAD for a used Lynx Aurora 8 w/ AES16PCIe card. This works out to be $85 cheaper per channel of i/o for the SSL at these price points.

The reason why I'm comparing these two companies converters is that in my research, I've found that most people agree that both of their converters are of comparable quality. Can I get a further confirmation of this?

The one thing I can't get a straight answer from the information on SSL's website is if the Alpha-Link MX uses the same exact components as the Alpha-Link AX. Judging by their prices per channel, it seems as if the MX is the same as the AX, just smaller. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm really excited about these converters, as they seem to fit the bill nicely for me, and I would certainly rather a MADI system over AES.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No, the newer MX is more accurate than its older AX/SX bigger brothers
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Excellent. I would've been pleased if they were the same.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No OSX drivers Boo! SSL why? just tell me why?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG ➑️
No OSX drivers Boo! SSL why? just tell me why?
....huh?

This is a converter, not a sound card/audio interface. This works just fine in OSX with an SSL or RME Madi card
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➑️
....huh?

This is a converter, not a sound card/audio interface. This works just fine in OSX with an SSL or RME Madi card
Correct thanks for the INFO.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Using one as a temporary solution for summing while I wait for Black Lion to fix my SX. I run the outs into a speck x-sum.

It could be a psychological thing, but I somehow prefer the BLA modded Alpha Link SX when listening back to the summed signal. It could be because there are more channels being fed to the x-sum (24 outs vs 16 on the mx) hence more separation.

Will decide later if I will keep it and daisy chain it to the SX and then get a 2nd x-sum... or change to another system entirely. ( The D.O.Tec Andiamo XT was a consideration .. ).
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Alright, I'm going to pull the trigger on a 16-4 tomorrow! Any last thoughts?

I can see myself in the future buying a large-format console, and I can buy three of the 4-16s and have 28 in for tracking (enough for a live band) and 52 outs (enough for a large mix).
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I grabbed the 4-16. They're great converters. Rock solid in terms of set up and operation. It's like they're not even there. I'm used to working on a Duet 2 and less recently an AD16X and to me the sound is on par. The lack of ADAT/spdif/AES has been a little grating and the drivers don't seem to want to work as an aggregate audio device on my system. I would love to find out I'm doing something wrong here but PT9 crashes no matter what I do. This has me looking at the Symphony I/O but if there was an 8x8 MX with digital I/O I'd snatch it (and a second 4-16) up and call it a day.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Many GS threads concerning the new SSL device. The board started buzzing about June. Might try Googling or using the GS search function. The thread with the most activity seems to be this one:

Official launch of new SSL converters
πŸ“ Reply