Quantcast
BAE 1073MP VS Shadow Hills Equinox - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BAE 1073MP VS Shadow Hills Equinox
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
BAE 1073MP VS Shadow Hills Equinox

So I love both pre's. I've used the GR pre's quite a bit, and I've always wanted a 1073 in the studio for vox, OH, AC instruments etc. Just as I thought I was going to bite the bullet, I thought about the SHI Equinox.

Now, I currently work mostly in the box on a PTHD rig with 192's. I currently have some decent manly compression and EQ, an SSL channel strip and some other middle-of-the-road pre's, but my summing is digital, and my monitoring section goes through a..... *shamefully admits* Control 24

So anyways, I love SHI Pre's, even on the aforementioned instruments that I like the on the 1073, PLUS kick, snare, bass and vox sound superb on the Shadow Hills. (I LOVE the Iron/steel/nickel settings!) I like the idea of having analog summing, and moving my monitoring section off of the control 24. I do probably 60-70% mixing vs tracking.

Can the price difference between the two be justified in this case? BAE 1073MP is $2200 and the Equinox is more like $4600 once you purchase the power supply. I couldn't find anyone selling the two together.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Which route would you go?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
A 1073MP for 2200 ? I don't think that is correct, I bought one super mint for 700, anyways I don't get into some of the Shadow Hills gear, it just cannot get that sassy sound like the 1073MP.
Besides the Equinox is a ugly piece of gear.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ugly? i lol'd
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
A 1073MP fot 2200 ? I don't think that is correct, I bought one super mint for 700, anyways I don't get into some of the Shadow Hills gear, it just cannot get that sassy sound like the 1073MP.
Besides the Equinox is a ugly piece of gear.
I was actually looking at the dual channel...

Brent Averill 1073MP Dual-Channel Mic Pre with PSU | VintageKing.com

You're right, the Shadow Hills doesn't have as much character, but it does have different characters, and I think overall more versatile... and what about the summing capabilities?

I happen to like the look of the SH gear. It's so nice, inside AND out :P (Usually I'm tellin this to an ugly person)
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
My bad, it's morning here and need coffee, I guess I forgot about the dual pre BAE makes as well.

I have had no issue with stacking tracks at all, sorry if I hurt your feelings on the SH looks (it's from a Alien space ship) I feel the same way about the distressor, looks like a box with white wheels.

I own Harrison consoles, I love them but they are ugly (i think it's the dark brown). API and Neve are the winners in looks.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I agree with Allabouttone, SH gear is pretty ugly in my opinion, but it seems that the equinox would solve a lot of problems, never heard it but it's probably a really great sounding piece of gear.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Haven't heard the Shadow Hills, but have heard the 1073. Still, it already sounds as though you are in love with the SH. For me, you HAVE heard both, like one more than the other and therefore cost shouldn't be involved in your decision, as long as you can afford the SH, without selling your soul.

For me, the worst thing is buying something based on cost, sitting there a couple of years later, still thinking about the OTHER piece of gear that you really wanted to buy instead but dumped it, based on it's cost. Buy the one you really like and forever be happy.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What about a single channel of BAE but with a full EQ, like the 1023 and another summing box like the Folcrom, plain and simple but effective? For the price of the SH (4-5k) you could get a Studer 169 or a 962, which is great for summing and monitoring, plus you get some EQ's and auxes as well, etc..oh and you'll get some great cleanish but not boring preamps too heh
I'm not fond with the SH stuff...I guess it's me..

If you need 2 channels the 1073MP is a great piece, and the filters sound great..

Cheu
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➑️
What about a single channel of BAE but with a full EQ, like the 1023 and another summing box like the Folcrom, plain and simple but effective? For the price of the SH (4-5k) you could get a Studer 169 or a 962, which is great for summing and monitoring, plus you get some EQ's and auxes as well, etc..oh and you'll get some great cleanish but not boring preamps too heh
I'm not fond with the SH stuff...I guess it's me..

If you need 2 channels the 1073MP is a great piece, and the filters sound great..

Cheu
Solid advice Cheu. I think I'll stay away from the SH and stick with the 1073MP.

Before then -- I think I'll get the API 3125 and Vintech 473. Any comment on those two pieces? In a few months I should be able to pick up a 1073MP and two 1176's
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No problem mate!
If you need the Api flavour in your palette the 3124 is a good buy..if you'll get the BAE I don't know if I'd get the Vintech's..I'd probably get another pair of BAE with that money..
You need 8 channels total?how many?

The Api are really great on drums and some sources, they have a distinctive sound..
Another option might be the ATI 8mx2 (now JDK).. these preamps are cleaner than the Api (are the paragon console pre's) but are ballsy, very versatile, they do sound great!

So you might want to get:

4 BAE channels + 4 Api channels

Or

2 BAE channels + 8 ATI channels

plus the compressors.. 1176 are great and worth to buy IMO (be sure to check out the new BAE 10DC compressor/limiter though, intro prices are very attractive and won't last forever)

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'll eventually have at least 24 channels. I think I'd still get the 3124, Vintech 473's (even if they aren't exact sounding clones... they sound great!), and probably 1x BAE 1073MP down the road along with the 1176's and some EQ, and master bus comp. The only reason I'd consider the BAE is because sometimes I really do want an accurate sounding neve 1073 pre, and the BAE can give that to me. I'd really like it for my vocal chain, acoustic/stringed instruments. However it handles just about anything you throw at it. The only other question is what other pre's I'll get in Phase 2. The Shadow Hills pre's will also most likely be in the next phase of purchasing. I really miss those pre's and love their ability to be transparent, or have 2 other types of color/character. They gear is built like tanks too!
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you need 24 channels I'd go this way:

1 x Api 3124 (4 channels)
1 x BAE dual MPF (2 channels)
1 x Aurora Audio GTP8 (8 channels)
1 x ATI 8mx2 (now it's called JDK 8mx2, always manufactured by Api) (8 channels)
For the last 2 channels you might want to get 2 x MA5 plus 2 other modules that you want (pre,eq or compressor) and get the lunchbox for free. heh

If you need so many channels it might be a good thing (also cheaper) to get a small 16 channel mixer of some sorts (like the studer's mentioned above).

Btw whatever you choose, the ATI (paragon preamps) are rather on the clean side (compared to api or neve) but really ballsy, I would't mind recording an entire album just with them, they're really versatile and do sound great (and they not really expensive given the fact that you get 8 channels in 1RU plus mixing and monitoring capabilities).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For some reason the Equinox has fallen out of groovy fashion lately but I still love and stand by it.
To my ears, it provides palpable width w/o too much color as well as flexibility albeit nothing is perfectly flexible. I happen to like the look a lot as well.
The monitoring section is solid too as for that concern.

I might delve into a SFC soon and could then see parting w it. But till that happens and in working within the efficiency of daw recall, it's a solid keeper.
Just a counter point fwiw.
πŸ“ Reply