Hitting the lynx aurora best possible - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hitting the lynx aurora best possible
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS ➡️
Yes. Thank you. I'm sitting here, thinking to myself "None of my clients are going to be impressed by the converter sweet spot or how long it takes to find it before every tracking session."
"Would you mind doing one more, I just about have the converter dialed in."

-R
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➡️
I just talked to lynx. The original is -16 and the vt can go up to -24.

Hard to find info so its good to get it out there.
Well, that certainly explains where I keep my faders, but I was inclined to believe the technical literature until I got around to measuring myself once again. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmisner ➡️
Always listen to the way it sounds.

You of all people should know that theory and practice are different.
Yep. That is why I almost always record with conservative levels.
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just remember the story of Godilocks and the Three Bears.

The bowl of porridge (audio signal) that's too hot isn't good. The bowl of porridge that's too cold (too low/noisey) isn't good. But the last bowl is just right (the sweet spot, often buried in the tech specs part of the manual).

When in doubt go off the industry standard nominal levels. anywhere from -22 dBFS to -16 dBFS. Don't peak over -10 dBFS. -6 dBFS if you have REALLY GOOD expensive converters.
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➡️
Yep. That is why I almost always record with conservative levels.
Hmm... Funny because that's why I always do not record at conservative levels, I find the sweet spots to be in the 85% - 95% hotness area. But that that does not invalidate your point, your point is great.
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
Just remember the story of Godilocks and the Three Bears.

The bowl of porridge (audio signal) that's too hot isn't good. The bowl of porridge that's too cold (too low/noisey) isn't good. But the last bowl is just right (the sweet spot, often buried in the tech specs part of the manual).

When in doubt go off the industry standard nominal levels. anywhere from -22 dBFS to -16 dBFS. Don't peak over -10 dBFS. -6 dBFS if you have REALLY GOOD expensive converters.
I record with a PrismSound Orpheus interface and that sounds great almost to peaks at -0 dBFS, however, in practice I do find it to sound slightly better when the peaks land somewhere at around -8 -> -4 dBFS.
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
depending on your level of hearing damage, the louder the better, eh?

no really -18 are the sweetspot of most converter chips.

i use the Redcloud 8810U8ERS to get superhot pres down to conservative levels when hitting the 16vt. its not about level in digital, its all about capturing the color before you hit the converter.
Old 16th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe ➡️
I record with a PrismSound Orpheus interface and that sounds great almost to peaks at -0 dBFS, however, in practice I do find it to sound slightly better when the peaks land somewhere at around -8 -> -4 dBFS.
Cool stuff. -18 dBFS average with -10 dBFS peaking is a general guideline for most interfaces. This is because some begin saturating/distortion past -10 dBFS. And then others have soft clipping/limiting built-in that clamps down on the signal. The better ones, like your Prism, sound good through and through.

Ever since I started recording quieter, about 3 years ago, it's like I got new converters hahaha.
Old 16th October 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I admit I was previously under the impression that it was important to get as close to 0dBfs as possible without clipping. But the noise floor of the Auroras should be low enough to permit one to adhere to the prevailing advice above without creating a noisy take.
Old 16th October 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam ➡️
I admit I was previously under the impression that it was important to get as close to 0dBfs as possible without clipping. But the noise floor of the Auroras should be low enough to permit one to adhere to the prevailing advice above without creating a noisy take.
It's not the noise floor of the aurora, it's the quantization noise of 24bit recording that means it's not necessary to record as hot as possible.
📝 Reply