Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nope.

- c
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The thing is, if you are already using a console with a lot of color and don't have top of the line convertors the 2500 for sure will fool your ears, using a medium based console with a lot of color is not a good match for the 2500.
On the other hand if you using a cleaner, high headroom console and great convertors the 2500 is sweet.

I was not a fan of the 2500 until I got great convertors and a nice console, now when I make adjustments on the 2500 I can actually hear what I am doing, before? no.

I already have great detail, thought about getting a C2, that would be a bad idea because the C2 is somewhat transparent, aggressive but she has great detail.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Am I the only one who doesn't have one tried and true bus comp? Sometimes it's the g comp, sometimes it's the 33609. Other days it's the vari-mu or the 2500. To me it all depends on the source material. No comp is going to work all the time, you need to know every piece inside and out and then choose the best application for each.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner ➡️
Am I the only one who doesn't have one tried and true bus comp? Sometimes it's the g comp, sometimes it's the 33609. Other days it's the vari-mu or the 2500. To me it all depends on the source material. No comp is going to work all the time, you need to know every piece inside and out and then choose the best application for each.
I will agree on that yes indeed, but I cannot afford to have all those on tap.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds like you need something with a bit more snap then - an SSL type , having said that , I borrowed one to try out ( I do mainly metal and hardrock) I thought it sounded brilliant . I set it up and in about 5 min had it sounding perfect ! smooth and it adds a nice smiley warmth to the mix . But seeing as I do harder stuff I think an SSL will work better . I will be borrowing an actual SSL and maybe the API again this week . If I was doing more lighter stuff I would probably get the API . Again you could keep it throw it on the Vocal or synth Bus then use an SSL type as a final mix bus .
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just grabbed the SSL rack bus g comp . def more snappier than the API . What I suggest is try out the waves SSL bus comp . If like that and get familiar with it the real deal will take 1 min to set up and get working . I would say it is that 3-5 % difference . But I must say the waves SSL Bus comp is so close , they did a brilliant job on it . I still may grab the API again and give it a whirl vs the SSL . I really dig the warmth of the API and I think it is a brilliant unit . Having both would be nice . If you are finding the API to compressed then back it off massively . I had it so the needle was barely moving 2-1 ratio , slowest attack and it had the perfect amount of gel for a rock mix .
📝 Reply