Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd like to know too
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own both units.

I must admit though, that I have never A/Bed them directly side by side, just because I seem to use them for different applications. This might answer your question already...

Both EQs sound unmistakably sweet and smooth, yet powerful and pretty effective. The weak point of the TG Channel II (in comparison to the Curve Bender) is that the EQ is pretty limited. It is great for certain things (clearing up the low end during tracking, adding "air" to a snare or a vocal track, providing some mid range energy to any source...), but as much as I like what it can do, there are many cases when its features (eq points, curves...) do not reach far enough to tackle a specific issue during mixdown.

I use the TG Channel a lot for tracking (very often including the EQ), and during mixdown it is one of my go-to boxes for a crunchy, saturated sounding lead vox mult (the EQ can come in handy here as well).

In contrast, the Curve Bender is lacking the preamp, and I use it much less during tracking. It is super versatile, and I love its midrange the most. There is no other EQ in my arsenal which I like better for adding mid range clarity and bite to string instruments of all kinds, such as guitars, piano or even a string section. The Curve Bender really shines in these applications, and I love its versatility just as much as its tonal capabilities.

For some applications both units seem to be interchangeable, for others not so much. But to me, the most important factor here is the layout of the two EQs, not their sonics.

However, if, in your personal case, a Curve Bender would be "too much" of this smooth yet pretty beefy sound is something I can not answer. Little do I know about the field you are working in, your sonic preferences, or other pieces in your setup.

All I can say is that I am glad I have both. However, in my situation, I have many other preferences over a second TG Channel MKII on my list.
Old 5th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate ➑️
I own both units.

I must admit though, that I have never A/Bed them directly side by side, just because I seem to use them for different applications. This might answer your question already...

Both EQs sound unmistakably sweet and smooth, yet powerful and pretty effective. The weak point of the TG Channel II (in comparison to the Curve Bender) is that the EQ is pretty limited. It is great for certain things (clearing up the low end during tracking, adding "air" to a snare or a vocal track, providing some mid range energy to any source...), but as much as I like what it can do, there are many cases when its features (eq points, curves...) do not reach far enough to tackle a specific issue during mixdown.

I use the TG Channel a lot for tracking (very often including the EQ), and during mixdown it is one of my go-to boxes for a crunchy, saturated sounding lead vox mult (the EQ can come in handy here as well).

In contrast, the Curve Bender is lacking the preamp, and I use it much less during tracking. It is super versatile, and I love its midrange the most. There is no other EQ in my arsenal which I like better for adding mid range clarity and bite to string instruments of all kinds, such as guitars, piano or even a string section. The Curve Bender really shines in these applications, and I love its versatility just as much as its tonal capabilities.

For some applications both units seem to be interchangeable, for others not so much. But to me, the most important factor here is the layout of the two EQs, not their sonics.

However, if, in your personal case, a Curve Bender would be "too much" of this smooth yet pretty beefy sound is something I can not answer. Little do I know about the field you are working in, your sonic preferences, or other pieces in your setup.

All I can say is that I am glad I have both. However, in my situation, I have many other preferences over a second TG Channel MKII on my list.
Thanks...
πŸ“ Reply