2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Reamp through some lively preamps.....
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8owmore ➡️
Keeping it clean and clear, what is the best compressor, not for adding an effect, but for making a dead, flat mix come alive?
Sorry there is no compressor that does this
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
Sorry there is no compressor that does this

Quoted for truth.

OP, 'dead' and 'flat' mixes aren't that way because of transients, they're that way because the balances are weak and nothing moves.

Almost any compressor and eq can add pump and brightness to a dead, flat mix... but it'll still be a dead, flat mix. The emotional impact won't change, only the sonics will.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
u b k and Empire Prod are obviously correct.

Having said that.... a Neve comp (2254, 33609) working hard on the 2 buss will certainly help. A lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSueMe ➡️
I'll have to check this out. My first question would be, does it have separate threshold controls for downward and upward expansion? Or, is it a single threshold that expands upward progressively and downward progressively at the threshold setting?
Flux Alchemist have separate controls for EVERYTHING. :D Yes, it has separate controls for all four dynamic processors and for every frequency band. It does upward expansion (de-expansion) very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung ➡️
I think the Flux idea is good as well-----though I stared at the demo way too long scratching my head and looking stupid--Angel's share?----presets were great though.
I know, give it time and read the manual from page to page. Experiment. The presets are great but too few.

Angel’s Share produces a slightly less compressed and more open sound by relaxing the compression ratio applied when the dynamic range rises.

Cheers
Fred
Sound On Sound contributor
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
One compressor that come to mind would be the ( and one of my favorites ), the A-Designs NAIL.
Another tool I think would possible good to look at would be the elysia nvelope I have just fallen in love with that beast! As well I find their comp to also be a very very nice comp. but, for waking something up a bit I think the NAIL or the nvelope would both be great choices.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
One compressor that come to mind would be the ( and one of my favorites ), the A-Designs NAIL.
Another tool I think would possible good to look at would be the elysia nvelope I have just fallen in love with that beast! As well I find their comp to also be a very very nice comp. but, for waking something up a bit I think the NAIL or the nvelope would both be great choices.
Is this kind of like a higher end SPL Transient Designer?
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8owmore ➡️
Keeping it clean and clear, what is the best compressor, not for adding an effect, but for making a dead, flat mix come alive?
I want to say thank you to all who have contributed. You have all been a great help and have given me a lot to follow up on.

Again, Thanks.
📝 Reply