Quantcast
Manley Ref C - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley Ref C
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Manley Ref C

I´m looking for a great preamp for our Ref C, for vocals :-)
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
many threads on this already (search) but bae/neve/clone seems to be best for these types of brighter mics.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Budget? On the low end of the budget spectrum, a Warm Audio WA12 with FMR PBC-6a would work perfectly fine, but if you want really nice/high end, Mercury m72s with an 1176 or distressor or Chandler TG Channel into a same would be pretty insane. If you want more mojo than what a distressor may have to offer, Airfield Liminator, Tubetech CL1b or ADL1000 would put the icing on the cake.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
Budget? On the low end of the budget spectrum, a Warm Audio WA12 with FMR PBC-6a would work perfectly fine, but if you want really nice/high end, Mercury m72s with an 1176 or distressor or Chandler TG Channel into a same would be pretty insane. If you want more mojo than what a distressor may have to offer, Airfield Liminator, Tubetech CL1b or ADL1000 would put the icing on the cake.
I´ve just need some updated suggestion about a great micpre, price dosent matter :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand ➡️
I´ve just need some updated suggestion about a great micpre, price dosent matter :-)
If you want mojo to offset that brightness of that mic, Chandler TG Channel. The Pacifica would also be great.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use my Manley Ref C with an Aurora Audio preamp... Works fine.
Also sometimes with a Thermionic Culture Earlybird... Also does the job well
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Definitely a Neve-style pre. Anything else will be too bright and edgey.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➡️
Definitely a Neve-style pre. Anything else will be too bright and edgey.
Anything else? Really?
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks

For suggestions, appreciate it :-)
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A-Designs pacifica +1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle ➡️
Anything else? Really?
It's acceptable with a TG2. I've tried it with 3 types of pre. I found it edgey and overly bright with both API and clean-style pres (I tried with Grace & Millenia Media). Good luck!
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
INward Connections Magnum
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use mine with a Buzzaudio MA2.2. It is a fantastic preamp. I have tried it with a 1073, VoxBox, CIB and Amek 9098 and preferred the MA2.2.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The output impedance of the REF C

When i look at some micpre they´re not able to fit the output impedance from the Ref C for instance Great River cant handle the 200ohm from the Ref C? I´d try the Great River and found a small distortion, maybe i need combine a resistor for at least 100ohm?

Great River front panel switches: polarity; phantom power; input impedance (1200 / 300 ohm); output loading (600 ohm resistor across output transformer)

Manley Cardioid Reference Microphone

All-Tube triode design 12AT7 (2011 build. Previous versions used 12AX7 and 6072.)
-10 dB switchable pad
Frequency response: 10Hz-30KHz
Sensitivity: 17mV/Pa
Noise typically -120dB EIN
Max SPL: 150dB
Actual output impedance 200 Ohms
Weight: 2.25 lbs (mic)
Weight: 2.5 lbs (PSU)
Size: 4.5" x 9.7" x 4.5" (mic)
Size: 5" x 8.2" x 3.4" (PSU)
Shipping weight: 15 lbs
Selected matched pairs available
Outboard Power Supply is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
Operating Mains Voltage changeable with power transformer re-wiring via internal jumpers and fuse value change.
Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
Mains Fuse: 250mA @ 100~120V; 125mA @ 220~240V operation
Power Consumption: 70mA @ 120V = 8.4 Watts
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use a BAE 1073MPF, works great.
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Manley REF C and micpre´s

I need another great micpre for my REF C, i´ve run it with a GR with good results, but its bright in its character som i think i would like to try some Neve stuff, is the BAE the way to go?
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use mine with an A-Design P1 into a Fatso. The P1 consistently beats out my Chandler TG-2 and my original API 312. Very silky sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Ref C is peaked in the highs and not just a little.
Relatively speaking or even regardless, differences in mic pres will be subtle at best.
You could try a "dark" pre like an UA 610 or maybe a Chandler Germanium, but those are also less "clean" and if a noticeable change occurs, it's probably not for the better. That is, the modern, high definition sound (which was sort of the point of the mike to begin with, I guess) could get compromised.
Another -and likely better- thing you could try is different impedances. The APA Juggernaut is killer for this. Selectable trannies, in and out, too. It's probably the best "tone shaping" pre without EQ section. Still, nothing near multiple dB changes, if at all.
And of course you could simply use an equalizer to cure things.

Me, I'd start with a different microphone if things were too bright.
Just about any other (quality mike).
But that wasn't your question.

Henk

🎧 10 years
If you don't like what it's doing with the GR, it ain't the pre.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I disagree with both of the previous posts. In addition, what the Ref C really needs is a thick/creamy hardware comp on the way in. But the Pre does matter. I briefly had a Great River followed by Germaniums. Neither sounded as good as the P1. The Chandler TG-2 is the closest I have found (and is a much better all around pre) but the P1 is always better with the Ref C.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The P1 being the 500 series version of the Pacifica that many say is just 'not quite' the Pacifica?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use mine with a BAE 1073, Chandler TG2, and Dave Hill Europa.

All with good and differerent results.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks all, appreciate it :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
The P1 being the 500 series version of the Pacifica that many say is just 'not quite' the Pacifica?
I tried a Pacifica. Didn't like it one bit. It was noticeably harsher on vocals (and everything else). I'm not sure why they advertise them as being the same pre, but they are not even close. The P1 is closer to a TG-2 than a Pacifica, but the Pacifica was worse than any of my nice pre's. They guy who let me borrow it sold it not long after we did the shootout.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I need another great micpre for my REF C, i´ve run it with a GR with good results, but its bright in its character som i think i would like to try some Neve stuff, is the BAE the way to go?
You started the same thread a few weeks ago in this same section: Manley Ref C

Quote:
I´m looking for a great preamp for our Ref C, for vocals :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➡️
You started the same thread a few weeks ago in this same section: Manley Ref C
Ahh yeah you´re right forgot that, sorry
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Try a Manley tube pre, awesome. Heavenly.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr ➡️
I tried a Pacifica. Didn't like it one bit. It was noticeably harsher on vocals (and everything else). I'm not sure why they advertise them as being the same pre, but they are not even close. The P1 is closer to a TG-2 than a Pacifica, but the Pacifica was worse than any of my nice pre's. They guy who let me borrow it sold it not long after we did the shootout.
That's weird. I've sung through a Peluso 47, u87 and my Tfunk AR51 into the Pacifica, all with great results. I heard it as slightly 'bigger' sounding than the P1, but I only borrowed a friends P1 once and sang into it with my AR51 for only one song. That song actually came out great, but at the end of the day, it didn't seem to be better than my Burl B1, which I already own and figured I'd just buy another for a stereo pair. You've definitely piqued my interest though. I may borrow it again just to do a thorough shootout with it on my voice.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks like the two threads were combined, with the newer one starting at post #16.

Henk
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I still think a Bae 1073 or Neve type pre sounds best with it.

Sent from my Desire HD
📝 Reply