Tracking through a UBK Fatso - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking through a UBK Fatso
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
hi guys,
somebody mention my name here ,
Yes I looooove the ubk fatso touching "roast" (thats the clipping that I mention on Dave show) on my drums and warmth on yellow, most of the time I push 10/12K with an eq In right before fatso to let the warmth do his magic.

ciao

Luca

Studio DMI | Welcome

@lucapretolesi
Old 29th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaPretolesi ➡️
hi guys,
somebody mention my name here ,
Yes I looooove the ubk fatso touching "roast" (thats the clipping that I mention on Dave show) on my drums and warmth on yellow, most of the time I push 10/12K with an eq In right before fatso to let the warmth do his magic.

ciao

Luca

Studio DMI | Welcome

@lucapretolesi
Thanks for chiming in Luca! You inspired me to go hard with roast and warmth on some hip hop drums. Really did the trick.
Edit: btw, any favorite use for the compressor presets?
Thanks again
Cris
Old 2nd November 2014 | Show parent
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc ➡️
Thanks for chiming in Luca! You inspired me to go hard with roast and warmth on some hip hop drums. Really did the trick.
Edit: btw, any favorite use for the compressor presets?
Thanks again
Cris
hi thanks!
sometimes I used on "smooth" for background vocal groups, really good to keep all under control and and sit better. love this unit

luca
Old 18th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
I won't bore you with my own take on the awesomeness of this box, but I'll just say that when Justin refers to super crush mode he means Glue+Spank, the last preset, the one where all 3 LED's light up. It's like a slow attack / medium release / high ratio limiter.

Also, if you really want to get every possible ounce of juice out of the unit, do yourself a massive favor and stick a gain control in the sidechain. Turn it all the way down to turn the compressor off, then dial up your input so that you get some healthy saturation and thickening, let the Comfy light blink a lot with an occasional blip of Roast. Then creep the level of the sidechain back up until you get the desired amount of squeeze.

Taking the time to do that will make you about 200% happier with the results, as you'll have maximized the saturation on its own terms rather than simply letting the compression dictate what you get on that front.

If you've got a cheap graphic eq laying around, even better. Stick that in the sidechain and pull out 6dB of everything below 300, and put a 3dB bump at 2.5k if doing vocals, or 6k if doing acoustic guitar, or 10k if doing drums. It'll change your life.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Can someone please walk me through the theory behind this or dynamic equalization in general?

In my mind CUTTING below 300 hz would make those frequencies less likely to trigger a compressor and would therefore allow them to sneak by and therefore increase their volume- and BOOSTING at lets say 6k would make it more likely that the compressor would clamp down and therefore decrease their volume:

Am I totally mixed up here??????
Old 18th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherspud ➡️
Can someone please walk me through the theory behind this or dynamic equalization in general?

In my mind CUTTING below 300 hz would make those frequencies less likely to trigger a compressor and would therefore allow them to sneak by and therefore increase their volume- and BOOSTING at lets say 6k would make it more likely that the compressor would clamp down and therefore decrease their volume:

Am I totally mixed up here??????
No, you're absolutely right.
Old 20th September 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
so maybe it was just the recommendations that surprised me- I wouldn't think to ADD 300 hz to an acoustic guitar!
Old 20th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherspud ➡️
so maybe it was just the recommendations that surprised me- I wouldn't think to ADD 300 hz to an acoustic guitar!
When you cut out the low frequencies out of the sidechain of a compressor you'll get a more even, less pumpy compression. IME you can compress a lot more without trashing the signal this way.
Old 20th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc ➡️
When you cut out the low frequencies out of the sidechain of a compressor you'll get a more even, less pumpy compression. IME you can compress a lot more without trashing the signal this way.

THANK YOU FOR THIS REMINDER!

I was forgetting that the compression is still only one peace in the chain!
📝 Reply