Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the use of my fatsos sidechain nearly doubled my love

big up greg & EL !
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got a really clean speech recording (by my terms anyway) by using it in stock config using the glue setting. That's really the most natural sounding coming out the other end. I think smooth would probably kill too much attack and you'd end up with some hash in there from the super fast limiting.

I'm sure it would clean up even more with the sidechain used. I don't think its crazy talk at all!

Russell
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty ➑️
I got a really clean speech recording (by my terms anyway) by using it in stock config using the glue setting. That's really the most natural sounding coming out the other end. I think smooth would probably kill too much attack and you'd end up with some hash in there from the super fast limiting.

I'm sure it would clean up even more with the sidechain used. I don't think its crazy talk at all!

Russell
Any warmth used in there? Well, the smooth setting was afaik designed to be pretty much invisible shaving off 5 dB or so. I'm thinking less heavy lifting for the digital limiter at the end.
Old 1st March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Personally I never turn the warmth lower than 2nd position but I could see how others would feel differently. It usually is used in the 2nd or 3rd position for me.

Russell
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just got mine a few days ago. Really loving this box for tracking. The compressors and saturation plus transformer make for an almost instantly mixable production/session. Every track has that sheen and vibe on the way in. I also have the transformer on EVERYTHING. For myself it's really what pushes the design over the edge.

I try and get around 3db from the warmth circuit and 3-5-7db from the compressors. I really start to hear the sparkle and mojo compressing at 5-7db. UBK was right, they are all great, and the sidechain insert volume trick is a must to keep saturation at the top of comfy while compressing. It's also interesting how the warmth circuit server double sonic duties. To my ears it does the tape roll off thing, but it also adds the fluttering sound tape does as well moving so quickly adding some of that tape sparkle sound.

I own a Otari MX5050 1/4" machine as well and will have to do some comparisons but from my first few days i feel like the fatso is more in the relm of console style saturation (SSL 4k) and awesome compressors, and a transformer to make my clean metric halo pres a little fuller and 3D when routed through the send returns.

Best piece of front end gear I have ever bought next to my metric halo ULN-2. They pair wonderfully together. I have also found an awesome use for the Spank+Smooth, it's a great "reverse groover" As it has the ability to take a loop or groove and bring out the other elements that were more hidden (ghost notes, subtle nuances) to make the source swing in another direction, it's actually one of my favorites, as it has tones of vibe.

Gold medal in the Stoner Olymipcs for Kush Audio ;p
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Addict

14 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My ubk fatso is essential for tracking electric keyboards and guitars. I have a rane 15 band eq on the side chain, with bass frequencies turned down, and use the gain control to adjust the compressor threshold. LOVE the sound. Turns brittle synths into 1970's saturated ear candy.
Lee
Old 18th June 2013 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc ➑️
Greg, With the the sidechain trick used to get maximum compression/minimum sat, could the Fatso (UBK) work extra as a clean-ish limiter ("smooth" setting) for speech recordings?

Absolutely, the trick cuts both ways. I usually use it to induce 70s style console clipping, then mild compression (if any) and plenty of Warmth.

But you could easily run that sidechain hot and the Input very low, thus avoiding the distortions altogether. Bypass the Trafo, and use a more conservative comp like Glue or Spank + Glue to reduce compression artifact even more.

It can be run surprisingly clean if that's what you want. I just never think to advise it, because I like my compression dirty!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Greg, will Kush mod a new fatso anymore or is that over?
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 ➑️
I just got mine a few days ago. Really loving this box for tracking. The compressors and saturation plus transformer make for an almost instantly mixable production/session. Every track has that sheen and vibe on the way in. I also have the transformer on EVERYTHING. For myself it's really what pushes the design over the edge.

I try and get around 3db from the warmth circuit and 3-5-7db from the compressors. I really start to hear the sparkle and mojo compressing at 5-7db. UBK was right, they are all great, and the sidechain insert volume trick is a must to keep saturation at the top of comfy while compressing. It's also interesting how the warmth circuit server double sonic duties. To my ears it does the tape roll off thing, but it also adds the fluttering sound tape does as well moving so quickly adding some of that tape sparkle sound.

I own a Otari MX5050 1/4" machine as well and will have to do some comparisons but from my first few days i feel like the fatso is more in the relm of console style saturation (SSL 4k) and awesome compressors, and a transformer to make my clean metric halo pres a little fuller and 3D when routed through the send returns.

Best piece of front end gear I have ever bought next to my metric halo ULN-2. They pair wonderfully together. I have also found an awesome use for the Spank+Smooth, it's a great "reverse groover" As it has the ability to take a loop or groove and bring out the other elements that were more hidden (ghost notes, subtle nuances) to make the source swing in another direction, it's actually one of my favorites, as it has tones of vibe.

Gold medal in the Stoner Olymipcs for Kush Audio ;p
Great post, makes me wanna get to my studio and mess with that thing instead of going to sleep tonight.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
Absolutely, the trick cuts both ways. I usually use it to induce 70s style console clipping, then mild compression (if any) and plenty of Warmth.

But you could easily run that sidechain hot and the Input very low, thus avoiding the distortions altogether. Bypass the Trafo, and use a more conservative comp like Glue or Spank + Glue to reduce compression artifact even more.

It can be run surprisingly clean if that's what you want. I just never think to advise it, because I like my compression dirty!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Thanks Greg! I never thought of the spank + glue as cleaner than smooth. I have to try that one for tracking!
Old 18th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also, if you really want to get every possible ounce of juice out of the unit, do yourself a massive favor and stick a gain control in the sidechain. Turn it all the way down to turn the compressor off, then dial up your input so that you get some healthy saturation and thickening, let the Comfy light blink a lot with an occasional blip of Roast. Then creep the level of the sidechain back up until you get the desired amount of squeeze.

Taking the time to do that will make you about 200% happier with the results, as you'll have maximized the saturation on its own terms rather than simply letting the compression dictate what you get on that front.
This statement is spot on. I also get the warmth at around 3-5db at this point.

Then once i start to turn the TC volume knob to engage the compressor after around 3-7db of compression i notice the warmth reduction goes down to around 2-3db which is right where i like it.

Brilliant Mods UBK. I also love how Mr. Derr added XLR and TRS on the back making it so easy to route other gear.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey Gregg,

I'm considering a UBK Fatso for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is tracking. Would the UBK Fatso get me close (for tracking purposes) to a L2A? TLA-100A? STA-Level? or any other classic tube tracking comp? I realize the UBK Fatso is not a simulator per se, I'm just trying to understand if it can accomplish a similar vibe/sound as some of these classic boxes, or if it is going to leave me longing for the classic tube/opto sound. It sure would be nice to save all that rack space and $$$$.

Cheers!
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm bump'ing this by asking an additional question:

When you get gain reduction without using any preset compression (eg by using a gain knob in the side chain and cranking it), what kind of compression do you get?
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCali ➑️
Hey Gregg,

I'm considering a UBK Fatso for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is tracking. Would the UBK Fatso get me close (for tracking purposes) to a L2A? TLA-100A? STA-Level? or any other classic tube tracking comp? I realize the UBK Fatso is not a simulator per se, I'm just trying to understand if it can accomplish a similar vibe/sound as some of these classic boxes, or if it is going to leave me longing for the classic tube/opto sound. It sure would be nice to save all that rack space and $$$$.

Cheers!
I have a standard Fatso (The UBK only differs in some of the compression settings) and it doesn't sound anything like my TLA 100, RCA BA6A or any of the other big tube sounding compressors you mention. The fatso is great at what it does, a solid-state compressor that adds some thickness, some warmth if you want it to. Its unique in that you can use it to eliminate harshness from a vocal, or an acoustic guitar or anything else that can get a little abrasive in the high-end. It's also very cool compressor, you can slam the crap out of it for some amazing drum sounds or use it more gently on a vocal. I also use it on a drum bus acoustic guitar bus or electric guitar bus as needed.

As soon as I can give mine up for a few weeks, I'm going to get the UBK mod. From what I heard on the demonstration it will make the compressor aspect much more useful as I only use one or two of the settings now.

The fatso would go to the next level of amazing if they just gave you individual controls for attack and decay.
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks Zep! The UBK Fatso is still high on the list, but sounds like it isn't going to replace any tube comps, oh well, so much for saving a few bucks. Still looking for that magic box that reads my mind and transforms any signal in to my ideal vision with no adjustments needed on my end :-)

Sotsric, I've never used a Fatso, so I could be completely wrong, but my understanding is by using the sidechain control you can reduce (or completely eliminate) the compression circuit, but still go through the saturation circuit. I believe the saturation circuit is a bit like a multiband compressor that only compresses the high frequencies, but I really have no idea how it works. Hopefully someone who knows more will jump in soon.
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love this thing. Its doesn't have to be a Graphic Eq in the sidechain either.. I just use an extra channel off the mixer, and the 4 band parametric eq works perfectly.
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
... I believe the saturation circuit is a bit like a multiband compressor that only compresses the high frequencies, but I really have no idea how it works. Hopefully someone who knows more will jump in soon.
Greg has some explanations on YouTube. Just do a search on "UBK Fatso".
Old 16th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Zep! The UBK Fatso is still high on the list, but sounds like it isn't going to replace any tube comps, oh well, so much for saving a few bucks. Still looking for that magic box that reads my mind and transforms any signal in to my ideal vision with no adjustments needed on my end :-)

Sotsric, I've never used a Fatso, so I could be completely wrong, but my understanding is by using the sidechain control you can reduce (or completely eliminate) the compression circuit, but still go through the saturation circuit. I believe the saturation circuit is a bit like a multiband compressor that only compresses the high frequencies, but I really have no idea how it works. Hopefully someone who knows more will jump in soon.
You're right about the sidechain. The saturation, however, works on the whole signal. It's the warmth circuit that compresses the high frequencies. But the question I'm asking here is what kind of compression is happening when no compressor is engaged but there is still gain reduction happening. This is easiest achieved by using the sidechain to increase compression but will also happen if you crank the input hard enough.
Old 27th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I just inserted my Rane ME 30B on a snare going through the right side of my UBK Fatso and it works wonders. I can dial in the right amount of saturation and then bring in the compressor with the level knob on the Rane. The 30 bands of EQ are handy as well. I just found another on e-bay so now I'll have two "remotes" for my Fatso. Thanks for the tips Gregory!
Old 28th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallcircus ➑️
I just inserted my Rane ME 30B on a snare going through the right side of my UBK Fatso and it works wonders. I can dial in the right amount of saturation and then bring in the compressor with the level knob on the Rane. The 30 bands of EQ are handy as well. I just found another on e-bay so now I'll have two "remotes" for my Fatso. Thanks for the tips Gregory!
Any warmth thrown in there as well?
Old 30th January 2014 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But the question I'm asking here is what kind of compression is happening when no compressor is engaged but there is still gain reduction happening.

I wish I knew, but I don't have a clue. Afaict the sheer level of the sidechain is bleeding into the control voltage on the gain reduction circuit, a byproduct of 'abusing' the device.

It sounds to me like a slow attack slow release kinda thing, it's definitely not anything I programmed in. I love it on percussives that really need to be reigned in, it has a wonderful 'stiff' kinda feeling to it if you just tickle that first LED or two.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 30th January 2014 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Any warmth thrown in there as well?

I follow and recommend Dave's advice for anyone tracking with a Fatso (either one): dial up the Warmth limiter until you first see some activity, then cycle around until the threshold is one click before you see any activity. I think it's one of those things where stuff is happening faster than the meter indicates, so it's very subtle but it accumulates nicely when the tracks pile up.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I follow and recommend Dave's advice for anyone tracking with a Fatso (either one): dial up the Warmth limiter until you first see some activity, then cycle around until the threshold is one click before you see any activity. I think it's one of those things where stuff is happening faster than the meter indicates, so it's very subtle but it accumulates nicely when the tracks pile up.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Sounds like good advice. Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BTW Greg,
In the latest Pensado's Place Luca Pretolesi is talking about his UBK Fatso and that he uses clipping on drums and stereo buss. However, he's talking about clipping one or two dB's. How would one know the amount of clipping? Is it just a rough appreciation or a figure of speech perhaps?
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In the latest Pensado's Place Luca Pretolesi is talking about his UBK Fatso and that he uses clipping on drums and stereo buss. However, he's talking about clipping one or two dB's. How would one know the amount of clipping?

Interesting question! I'm not sure how to relate clipping to dB's, but the Comfy and Roast lights are your indicators of two things: signal level, and degree of distortions.

Comfy = 0VU, with 1% harmonic distortion and soft clipping.

Roast = 5% harmonic distortion and hard clipping.

I love getting the drums peaks Roasty, then dialing in the Warmth until that digital 'TZZT' transient is transformed into a soft, fat 'PFFT' sound.

It's very similar to overdriving tape!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool! Thanks for your reply.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Posted twice!
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi GS pals,
I'm really late to the UBK Fatso game.
My engineer and mixing coworker(Sean) bought this unit and has used it a lot more than me...from a parallel buss, to tracking anything you could imagine.

I must say that this unit is powerful, however it took me some time to find a relationship with it.
When I've heard it really "click" on tasks such as tracking Gregg Rolie's Piano, I KNEW it was special.
I'm comfortable with sharing an application that I got into this last month.

I love the UBK Fatso carrying a lot of weight whilst tracking vocals.

My chain has been
1. U-67
2. BAE 1028( eq on, lot of 24k shelving boosted)
3. UBK Fatso-Smooth mode...jock in/outs until all feeling right....go nuts with Warmth function to mellow out the hi end boost from pre
4. Urei 1176
5. BAE 10DC

For the first time in 15 years the 1176 is not going wild during tracking.
As well, I'm finding hacking the UBK Fatso very rewarding being the first piece after the pre, taking up the spot 1176 has dominated my entire life.

All this said.
The UBK Fatso can surprise you in the best way.
I'm impressed and my gang has been buzzing on the results it creates with these other tools wrapped around it.
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchey ➑️
I love this thing. Its doesn't have to be a Graphic Eq in the sidechain either.. I just use an extra channel off the mixer, and the 4 band parametric eq works perfectly.
How do you connect that Alchey? Side chain to input mixer-> aux/bus? out? to sidechain back?
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
just with a single cable 1/4" ballanced to two 1/4" unbal. The send goes to a line in on the mixer, the return is plugged into the direct out for that channel. Voila.
πŸ“ Reply