Quantcast
Rupert Neve Designs Portico compressors, 5403, 543 and buss unit, sonic differences? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rupert Neve Designs Portico compressors, 5403, 543 and buss unit, sonic differences?
Old 11th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Rupert Neve Designs Portico compressors, 5403, 543 and buss unit, sonic differences?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sonic differences between the RND 5043, 543 and the Portico Master Buss Processor? I'm talking about differences in character, color, fidelity, general behavior, etc? I'm aware that these units are not identical in terms of features. The block diagrams for these units look pretty different also. So how do they compare sonically?

I know there are a lot of threads out there regarding these RND Portico compressors, I reviewed everything, can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2014
  #2
141550
Guest
Bump
Old 5th December 2014
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Hello,
want to know it too.
Two 543 vs 5043.
Why are two 543´s more expensive even
if they have no own power-supply?
5043: max +25 db
543: max +23 db
Old 5th December 2014
  #4
Gear Addict
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Sup guys...I own a Master Bus Processor and a 543 and guess what.......

There is no sonic difference...its practically the same exact compressor just in different form factor and features. When I say that, I don't mean that in any negative way. They're excellent transparent compressors.
Old 5th December 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I own a 5043. It sounds really nice. I like it in Feedback mode. Feed Forward is more transparent, Feedback has a bit low end thickening and rolls off some high-end and is a tad "slower"

It's a nice sounding box. I've also enjoy just turning up Output transformers. I have used it on the last three albums I mixed on the stereo bus.
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg ➡️
There is no sonic difference...
Thanks for the info,
if you use the specifically designed limiter section of your Master Buss Processor and compare it with the 543 brickwalllimter (40:1) can it keep up on 2-buss work? Not as much loudness possible? Inferior sound? Or if you would have four 543s you could use two for comping and two for limiting?
or was
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg ➡️
There is no sonic difference...
the answer?
Would I need four 543 for the same workflow?
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Nut
 
Trademark Studio's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller ➡️
I own a 5043. It sounds really nice. I like it in Feedback mode. Feed Forward is more transparent, Feedback has a bit low end thickening and rolls off some high-end and is a tad "slower"

It's a nice sounding box. I've also enjoy just turning up Output transformers. I have used it on the last three albums I mixed on the stereo bus.
I'm thinking of buying a 5043 or Brute. I know they are different...currently I use a WA76, and Obsidian(master buss)....

do you think you can link me to something you mixed with 5043 on vox?

I'm wondering if buying a used 5043 ($900) would be more valuable than a single channel used Brute ($600).

Any thoughts?

Best,
Jason
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Addict
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzo ➡️
Thanks for the info,
if you use the specifically designed limiter section of your Master Buss Processor and compare it with the 543 brickwalllimter (40:1) can it keep up on 2-buss work? Not as much loudness possible? Inferior sound? Or if you would have four 543s you could use two for comping and two for limiting?
or was

the answer?
Would I need four 543 for the same workflow?

I would say no on 2-bus duty only because its fixed and you can't adjust it at all so you lost that flexibility. I see more use out of it tracking something though. I wouldn't get 4 just to only use 2 on Comp and 2 only on Limiting. For that 4k, you might as well get a MBP and you can use it both tracking (Dual Mono) and then on 2 Bus.
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg ➡️
... you might as well get a MBP and you can use it both tracking (Dual Mono) and then on 2 Bus.
How to get it loud on the 2-buss if you compress the source yet don´t use the limiter of the MBP subsequently?
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark Studio ➡️
I'm thinking of buying a 5043 or Brute. I know they are different...currently I use a WA76, and Obsidian(master buss)....

do you think you can link me to something you mixed with 5043 on vox?

I'm wondering if buying a used 5043 ($900) would be more valuable than a single channel used Brute ($600).

Any thoughts?

Best,
Jason
I am cutting vocals with it right now. What's your email. I'll send you something in a day or two.
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzo ➡️
How to get it loud on the 2-buss if you compress the source yet don´t use the limiter of the MBP subsequently?
Right so I do it one of two ways because the MBP doesn't have a gain output after the Limiter section

1. (analogue) There is a make-up gain between the Comp and Limiter. So workflow wise, I'll use the make-up gain after comp to get it as loud as I want and then set the limiter after it to just take a "little off the top". Which is majority of the time how I use it

2. (digital) On occasions I'll compress, no make-up gain, and set limiter then run that back into PT's through an Aux track with a digital limiter that I use strictly for the make-up gain, set at 0 threshold, and the output at -.03, and that get printed to an audio track.

I hope than was clear and answered your question.
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Addict
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller ➡️
I am cutting vocals with it right now. What's your email. I'll send you something in a day or two.
check pm.
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Nut
 
Trademark Studio's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller ➡️
I am cutting vocals with it right now. What's your email. I'll send you something in a day or two.
Thanks! [email protected]

Really appreciate it.

Best,
Jason
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 62 views: 16640
Avatar for SoniA
SoniA 16th May 2008
replies: 1271 views: 307833
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 27th November 2017
replies: 59 views: 14710
Avatar for HansMues
HansMues 30th June 2017
replies: 5371 views: 557413
Avatar for Saturatio
Saturatio 2 days ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump