Quantcast
Vintage High End Mic Stands - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintage High End Mic Stands
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vintage High End Mic Stands

What are these mic stands and where can I find them? I would assume these are vintage Atlas stands. But I can't seem to find them anywhere online. Ebay. Nothing. Maybe they're old light booms? Would love to get a few for my studio.. Seems a lot of the old Hollywood studios have these. I have an old Hollywood studio
Old 10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes it does look like the Starbird but these are no longer in production.
The closest stand to this still in production 'that i know of' would be the Latch Lake MicKing.
Old 10th September 2012

🎧 15 years
The single stand on the far left is an Atlas BS36W.
Old 10th September 2012
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
The original: http://www.mole.com/pdf/stands_booms/stands_booms.pdf
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To me, most look like very vintage RCA boom stands, I don't have their model numbers in front of me. I have one here in which the boom is not extended. They're very robust and have lockable wheels.

Dennis
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought two very heavy 'vintage' boom stands from a theater that was closing down. Just asked if they would sell them and they were happy to get a decent price with no further hassle.
Or just ask a 'closing' radiostation with a live room.
Old 10th September 2012
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
RCA re-branded Mole, Starbird and Atlas booms.

I've been told Mole invented the boom for lamps but always offered a microphone connector in addition to the lamp brackets. It looks from their web site like they are still very much in business renting and selling booms. They were never cheap and the freight would be a killer.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️

I've been told Mole invented the boom for lamps but always offered a microphone connector in addition to the lamp brackets. It looks from their web site like they are still very much in business renting and selling booms. They were never cheap and the freight would be a killer.
Wow Bob. What a find! Thanks for that. Luckily my studio is just a mile or so from there headquarters. Maybe they would be into tossing some of their beat up rental boom stands. I'm going to try at least. Looks like the only place that does those stands anymore. Good call!
Cheers
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Bob,

Thanks for the link
Old 7th May 2013
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➡️
The single stand on the far left is an Atlas BS36W.
I like those.
always looking for a bargain on a good one when i find one: )
Old 21st March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I own one of the lighting versions. There is a small 2-blade AC connector on the end of the boom with the AC cord running through the boom and out the back end of it; we always kept an 6" fresnel unit on it, mostly for use as a hair light when doing portraits. We used it in our photo studio for many decades and when we closed the business recently I brought it home. It will be repurposed as a light stand for a large table in our attic once the gut/reno is completed up there.
Old 21st March 2015
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Every single thing we do in recording and broadcast originated in motion picture sound which descended from live theatrical sound. It's staggering how little real innovation there has been since the 1920s!
Old 21st March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Every single thing we do in recording and broadcast originated in motion picture sound which descended from live theatrical sound. It's staggering how little real innovation there has been since the 1920s!
So true! No longer alas... Western Electric, Bell Labs, RCA all gone.

Hope you are well sir!

best-
Jonathan
Old 21st March 2015
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
And Bell Labs invented magnetic recording with AC bias, stereo, the transistor, digital audio, DSP, Unix/Linux/ApplesystemX and lossy encoding of audio.
Old 22nd March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
And Bell Labs invented magnetic recording with AC bias, stereo, the transistor, digital audio, DSP, Unix/Linux/ApplesystemX and lossy encoding of audio.
Well I guess we could hold the lossy encoding against them. Well the vocoder balances that out, and the electret mic falls in the middle, lol.

Quite a few other things in tube land as well, and many other key idea's and components. It was really quite sad to see them go away, we broke up the phone system, and broke them as well.

The names Bardeen, Nyquist, Chu, Davisson, Anderson, Hartley, Laughlin, Ritchie and Thompson are absolute legends to mention just a few.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 22nd March 2015
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I recently learned the ribbon mike was invented in France for dialogue recording. WE can take credit for carbon and dynamic mikes. I don't know about condensers, RCA was selling them in the '20s before they moved to ribbons but they may have also been a Bell Labs product.
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
FYI Mole can retrofit the Comet lighting booms with a casting/swivel assembly for mics. When I was in LA last year they actually custom cast a yoke and machined a swivel so I could hang my RCA ribbons from the lighting boom version I have. Took them a week from the time I dropped in until I picked it up.
📝 Reply