The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee DA16 vs DA16x
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Apogee DA16 vs DA16x

Anyone ever compare an old purple Apogee DA16 to a new silver and purple DA16x? if you ask someone at apogee, they say that the new one is (of course) the greatest thing in the world... If the old DA16 is at least better than a PT192, I suppose I'd be happy. Today I'll be comparing the purple DA16 to the 192, so I'll hear that A/B for myself, but I'm also interested to hear about other slutz opinions and experiences with this box.

I have an opportunity to pick up a DA16 for a good price, but debate the idea of the value of saving a few $$ over potentially better sound...

Thanks!

Ryan Hewitt
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DA16x is better converters and has the Big Ben clock on board. Worth the extra duckets.
Old 29th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hey Ryan

Okay so first there is a ton of hot air in my post below, a whole lot of nothing but here goes.

I was on the exact same hunt you are about a year ago. I asked all around and basically I was told by people that have used both that the X series stuff was head and shoulders above the older AD-16 and DA-16 units.

Again that is all speculation, I never tried the two units out side by side.

I will say that if you hang around these boards for a while you start to get a vibe for the gear that is kind of a big blow up then done vs. the stuff with staying power. Some hardware (and dare I say software) just seems to appeal to a large group of people and you can kind of sense that it is a popular "reader's choice" because it hangs around.

I think the AD and DA-16X is like that, just seems to make most people happy. I don't remember the older "Purple" units being as well received, maybe the opposite actually.

Okay speculation over.

I have one each, AD-16X and a DA-16X….. I love them love love love. I don't want to rebuy anything any time soon. Converters go out of style in a flash so my decided factor was that I just wanted something that I knew had some legs and sounded good. So far I really happy with the Apogee's.

My vote is step up to the plate and get the newer ones. It will make you smile…. at least I hope it would… Also clock your other digital stuff to it, it has the 777 "Big Ben" clock in it as well.
Old 30th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have not compared but I tried the old DA16 and did not like it at all. Unnaturally hyped highs and unfocused lows.
Founder

Hi Ryan

Thing is Apogee are ALWAYS improving their stuff.. "Newer" round at chez Apogee usually ALWAYS means - "improved"...

I found that if you keep in close contact with them they will send you new chips, tweaks, down-loadable updates etc etc..

I would wager you would be missing out on something by not having that "X" factor! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks fellas... I decided not to buy it since it doesn't sound *great* and I can't actually even use all the outputs as my system stands now...

Ryan Hewitt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DA16X definitely makes me smile all the time... other than a pair of Adams, the best purchase I've ever made for the studio...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiff
How do you link it to your computer ? lynx aes16, firewire etc...

I'm trying to work out what is the best 'sounding' solution.

Any tips would be most helpful.
I have it connected to my mac using the firewire expansion card.
πŸ“ Reply