The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I use digital cable for analog cable?
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Maniac
or wait am I losing my mind here ? am I supposed to get say a mogami AES cable and use this for my mic's ? four mic's would plug in to the female end no problem but the four male xlr's I would have to get adapters for.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I use digital cable for analog cable?-screen-shot-2021-04-11-3.23.13-pm.png  
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcappetta ➡️
Wow that’s awesome !!
so I can buy a digital db25 to XLR cable for my mic inputs ?
any recommendations for this ?
there are so many options but I can't find a mogami one ? but I found this one from pro audio la
but wait does this mean I have to also replace all of my cables ? I have 6 Mic's on the drums so I would have to buy 6 digital cables for that, then more coming out of my XLR patch bay going into all my mic pre's ? etc etc ?

Yup I have bought many snakes from pro audio la. Best quality I’ve found especially if you go with premium options
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
or wait am I losing my mind here ? am I supposed to get say a mogami AES cable and use this for my mic's ? four mic's would plug in to the female end no problem but the four male xlr's I would have to get adapters for.
You can specify whatever connectors you want. And just spec digital 110 ohm cable
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
So in order for this to work properly,
Wouldn’t all of my mic cables have to be digital ?
and all the cables connected to each piece of outboard gear, compressors, mic preamps etc etc ?
I now have aes cables going from my symphony mk2 out to my Genelec’s I have digital cable for my analog sends, so for me to hear a difference and take advantage of the 110 ohm’s and the better sound, wouldn’t all my mic cables have to be digital going into another digital db25 to XLR into the symphony?
or would digital cable only need to be on the input and output stage of my studio ?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So in order for this to work properly,
Wouldn’t all of my mic cables have to be digital ?
and all the cables connected to each piece of outboard gear, compressors, mic preamps etc etc ?
I now have aes cables going from my symphony mk2 out to my Genelec’s I have digital cable for my analog sends, so for me to hear a difference and take advantage of the 110 ohm’s and the better sound, wouldn’t all my mic cables have to be digital going into another digital db25 to XLR into the symphony?
or would digital cable only need to be on the input and output stage of my studio ?
Nope you can mix and match if you want. The only difference between the analog and digital cables is impedance. 75 ohm vs 110 ohm
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin ➡️
Nope you can mix and match if you want. The only difference between the analog and digital cables is impedance. 75 ohm vs 110 ohm
ok but if I mix and match what is the purpose in using digital 110 ohm cables ?
I am reading that people are saying the the 110 ohm cables sound more open and less congested so how can I get the same results mixing analog and digital, just trying to understand this before I spend more money :-)
📝 Reply