Quantcast
Nice Pre for Pearlman TM-1? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nice Pre for Pearlman TM-1?
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice Pre for Pearlman TM-1?

I've taken the plunge and ordered the TM-1 from Dave (can't wait!)...and have now been thinking about mic pre's..

Seems to be a lot of positive opinions about the A-Designs Pacifica with this mic...but there are so many other good pre's out there and I'd really appreciate feedback on them. Of course, before I buy I'll go and listen to some, but it would be great to get some more opinions from people who are using them with the TM-1..

Pre's I've been considering:

Pacifica
GML
Phoenix Audio
Great River
DAV
Mercury M76m

My recording priorities are vocals, acoustic guitar, bass guitar...

Cheers..

Last edited by A440; 11th June 2006 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not forgeting Neve & API of course!
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Pearlman TM-1

Hi.
I have owned one Pearlman regular mic and I have a specially made one with M7 capsule, a VF14 tube and an Oliver Archut made trafo Bv8 I think it's named. (Always in love with the unaffordable U47)

In my opinion the Pearlman mic sounds good with any micpre. It all boils down to what sound you are after. I use mine with a Neve 1272 and a Telefunken V72 and although different, they both sound good.
The first time I heard the TM-1 it jut blew me away. I changed the trafo in it, tightened up the bass a bit.

Lennon.
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Lennon,

I've gone for the standard mic...although it may have VF12 tube as VF14's are getting hard to find...(VF12 is slightly smoother according to Dave)..

What sound am I after? Well, warm, clear and big, airy, with good definition and no harshness...I've been using a TLM 103 up till now and it's been ok but does grate on my ears a little (seems to have some ugly harshness around 3Khz)..

I'm glad you said the TM-1 sounds good with any pre...this means that which ever pre I pick I should be happy!..there's just so many good one's out there..it's caused me to scratch my head quite a bit...

Finding a used 1272 or V72,V76 is bit tricky for me...as I'm no expert in electronic repairs and not sure what to look out for in a s/h unit...also, not easy to check out the Mercury, BAE stuff here in London (no one stocks it)...have heard mixed opinions about the AMS-Neve 1073dpa..some people saying it's not that close to an original..

ah well... I'm sure the right solution will present itself (usually does)
Old 12th June 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
The GML is phenomenal if you have the money. I used it with the TM-1 once to record rock vocals and was very happy. Same with the API 512s. The Neve 1084 seemed to do too much coloring of the sound when combined with the Pearlman than I needed at the time.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I love the Portico. Always sounds nice to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ah...interesting that the GML works well...there's a used unit available locally which would take the sting out the price a bit. I'll check out the portico too (thanks!)...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As I said before, Demeter VTMP-2b. Very creamy. I liked the closeness it bring to the TM-1. I imagine the 1272 would be very nice to since the Pearlman sound very nice with dark pres.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you take the mic with you to www.kmraudio.com (just on the outskirts of london) i think they,ll be happy to let you try it with a few pre,s.
They have neve,api,great river,dav etc in stock so should give you a good idea of what kind of pre will provide the colour you desire from the mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that's a cool idea funkynuts
πŸ“ Reply