How much is your studio's monthly power bill - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much is your studio's monthly power bill
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How much is your studio's monthly power bill

I've read a lot of posts where high end studios leave their power on for extended periods of time. All that gear must create a big power bill. How much is your monthly bill for electricity?
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It varies, but the $6K figure is ballpark.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
WOW that's intense.

Right now we pay more like $350-500, but i'm expecting that to go up quite a bit when we move and have central air.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Um 6K? that's gotta be 6 rooms and 4 80 channel consoles or a 60K sq ft building. Generally an SSL studio would be 4-800 a month depending on the size. That's accurate.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thats a lot!
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm tired of the building owners trying to "scare" everyone. I own the nicest SSL in Chicago. My bills are BIG but not some ******** amount that makes it "easier" for talentless morons who spend 2 mil and have no Idea what they're doing that build a studio make money. In reality my bills are at least 15,000 a month that includes paying the help, paying the bills and paying myself. 6k a month is some "complex" so let's get back to reality 600 is about average. Don't be scared! Buy an SSL or Neve and do BETTER !!!!
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
$6k...I don't think I earn that in a month

Heres around $200
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Utility bill varies seasonally from $700 to $1100 per month, including cable and internet. 4000 sq. ft. 2-room facility with 16 ft ceilings and an SSL.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My power is included in the rent. So I just leave everything on, burning, always. This includes lights. Lots of lights, and projectors. You gotta think... light is a constant power draw, as compared to audio.

I'm kidding, sorta.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Mine typically nets out to about zero. I pay the power company about $750/month for electrons they deliver, and I sell about the same amount back from a solar grid. Why don't the electrons flow directly from the solar array to my studio? Because we don't have a smart grid in the US yet, and because regulations (written by industry) tilt against it. But we basically net to zero, and it's part of our carbon-neutral commitment.

We have an 64 channel API Vision, a 96 channel 96K Harrison Trion, and two 3-bay credenzas full of gear. We also have 10KW lighting we can use for video. We turn things off when we know we'll be away for at least 12 hours--API in particular told us that the console was designed to be power cycled, so no worries turning it on and off. Our double-wythe concrete walls have 5" of rigid foam insulation between them, which means that we can keep the place a constant 72 degrees day and night, even when the daytime temps rise above 110 degrees.

Here's our solar output report, which should be updated monthly.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Between Β£50-Β£125 a month depending on how busy I am. I have a 4kW solar system but it hasn't been in that long so I don't know if it will zero me out over a 12 month period yet, it should do easily though if the expectations are met.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
It is relatively easy to find out how much your gear will 'consume'.
The manual for SSL4K for example has typical consumption figures, but you can get 'plug in' power meters that you simply plug each of your bits of gear into (one at a time or individually) and you record the figure. Most studio gear (apart from power amps) use practically constant power so that is easy to work out. Aircon and lighting is more tricky but you can estimate this by subtracting your *****' costs from the total.
Your electric company will have a 'cost per KWH' figure mentioned. Now ten minutes with a calculator and you know the answer!
Incidentally i am interested in Ted's installation using solar. Do you notice any interference with your setup? I have a 4K system on the workshop roof and when testing some gear I can see 'artifacts' as the convertor is switching at 9KHz but the more interesting is the noises the (gears) transformers make. The biggest problem however is the 35KHz from flourescent strip lighting.
Matt S
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Power bill is about €200/month.
Old 20th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless ➑️
Mine typically nets out to about zero. I pay the power company about $750/month for electrons they deliver, and I sell about the same amount back from a solar grid. Why don't the electrons flow directly from the solar array to my studio? Because we don't have a smart grid in the US yet, and because regulations (written by industry) tilt against it. But we basically net to zero, and it's part of our carbon-neutral commitment.

We have an 64 channel API Vision, a 96 channel 96K Harrison Trion, and two 3-bay credenzas full of gear. We also have 10KW lighting we can use for video. We turn things off when we know we'll be away for at least 12 hours--API in particular told us that the console was designed to be power cycled, so no worries turning it on and off. Our double-wythe concrete walls have 5" of rigid foam insulation between them, which means that we can keep the place a constant 72 degrees day and night, even when the daytime temps rise above 110 degrees.

That is AWSOME
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know what country you live in that you pay $6k a month- or if you're just playing big-time- but we pay under $300 a month and have a full array of analog gear & several tape machines as you can see in the link below (we have an AWS- not a huge 4k or other LFC). We typically turn most everything off when possible to conserve for the planet- but even on 24/7 lock-outs where everything is on 24 hours, we hit about $300 total (gear, console, lights, refrigerators, everything).

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7925865-post274.html
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonslave ➑️
I'm tired of the building owners trying to "scare" everyone. I own the nicest SSL in Chicago. My bills are BIG but not some ******** amount that makes it "easier" for talentless morons who spend 2 mil and have no Idea what they're doing that build a studio make money. In reality my bills are at least 15,000 a month that includes paying the help, paying the bills and paying myself. 6k a month is some "complex" so let's get back to reality 600 is about average. Don't be scared! Buy an SSL or Neve and do BETTER !!!!
Lay off the coffee, and the ignorant accusations.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm not sure in which strange group a high electricity bill would earn "cred" but certainly not in mine. I'm actually surprised to hear there's such a difference. My electricity bill at home is rarely under $300 and we're not building spacecrafts, just staying cool. Maybe ComEd is screwing its customers in this city.

With our square footage, the age of the building (and fact that it leaks air like a sieve), the amount of gear (none of which gets turned off with the exception of tube gear), and the 90-degree weather, the number is what it is. I see now that it's far on the high side. The studio owner (who I am not) has reported "serious" electricity bills. He certainly wasn't proud. Who would be? If that number is out of whack, maybe he was including other utilities. Based on the reports of others, it's worth a look.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
3 rooms. One decent mix/track room and two smaller production rooms

$400 or so a month in the winter, $800-$1200/mo in the summer.

If you get to a certain threshold in NYC coned bumps your classification and the pain begins. It's nice and cool for the session in here today but I can feel the cash leaving the bank account
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mine typically nets out to about zero. I pay the power company about $750/month for electrons they deliver, and I sell about the same amount back from a solar grid. Why don't the electrons flow directly from the solar array to my studio? Because we don't have a smart grid in the US yet, and because regulations (written by industry) tilt against it. But we basically net to zero, and it's part of our carbon-neutral commitment....
Cool video, thanks for the link. Question for ya, from an investment perspective...the exact dollar figures aren't important, but I'm curious as to what your projected time horizon is in amortizing the cost of installing that solar array in terms of energy expenditures saved. From your comments in the clip, it seems like you see it as both good business and good stewardship; the latter is easy to understand, I'm just interested to know your vision of making the solar project pay for itself over the long haul.

I think it's a great idea, and intuitively it seems to me that small-scale solar arrays like this have real potential in areas where it can be a competitively productive use of land. But a big question for would-be investors in the necessary real estate and technology, I think, is "how long does it take to make it worth it?"

Personally, I'd like to see a lot of these on NYC rooftops instead of the silver-painted tar shingles or whatever it is they put up there now.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We're lucky that all utilities are included in our $2000/month rent for 2,800 s.f. Our two API 1608s and all our racked gear generate a lot of heat.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
I'm not sure in which strange group a high electricity bill would earn "cred" but certainly not in mine. I'm actually surprised to hear there's such a difference. My electricity bill at home is rarely under $300 and we're not building spacecrafts, just staying cool. Maybe ComEd is screwing its customers in this city.

With our square footage, the age of the building (and fact that it leaks air like a sieve), the amount of gear (none of which gets turned off with the exception of tube gear), and the 90-degree weather, the number is what it is. I see now that it's far on the high side. The studio owner (who I am not) has reported "serious" electricity bills. He certainly wasn't proud. Who would be? If that number is out of whack, maybe he was including other utilities. Based on the reports of others, it's worth a look.
Lol! It's hard to tell who you are because you're hiding behind a gearslutz moniker. I'm not making accusations, but when you throw out a rediculous number like that and have absolutely no reference point of who you are, or at least what continent you're on, it makes me think, here's a poster writing crazy numbers, yet he does not want anyone to know who he is. That's what those boxes are for in the "about" page, fill them in and be a PART of the community and give everyone a "why and where" to your answers. Unless you're the president of the uSa you're not too good to post some credentials.....I hate coffee by the way. Notice my credentials in my sig.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a 96-channel Neve VSP with 3 power supplies, as well as separate PSU's for the meters and flying faders, tons of outboard, a couple of giant PT HD rigs with expansion chassis, 5 discrete AC units on the roof with fans always on. 6500 sq ft of floor space, and the live room has over 40,000 cubic feet to keep at 72 degrees during a hot L.A. summer.

Entire utility bill, including waste, water, fire sprinklers, and electrons is btw $1,500-1,800/mo. Glendale DWP.

I just got a notice that they are jacking up my fireline bill, from $50/month to $370/month! Gotta love that!

GC
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
$6K = a far fetched fantasy
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Germany - 250,00$ per month.

Desk, Outboard, 2" Machine, Amps, DAW, Monitors.....

R.
Old 20th June 2012

🎧 15 years
One man shop here. Medium sized board, lots of outboard and a warm locale so air conditioning runs often.
Back when I left the board on 24/7 the electrical bills averaged $200-$300/month.
Now that I only turn the gear on when I use it the bill has dropped into the $75 - $150 range depending on how busy I am. When I'm working alone I keep all lights off or down low in the areas I'm not using.
With a shrinking business due to many projects now only using the studio for a portion (seems everybody has PT at home) I gotta save every dollar I can.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2 rooms here and ours is about $200 a month.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

BRAVO!

How long do your projections tell you that it will take to recoup the installation and maintenance costs of that array?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins ➑️
BRAVO!

How long do your projections tell you that it will take to recoup the installation and maintenance costs of that array?
Thanks (and to the others giving their applause). The answer to the recoup question is this: federal and state tax credits for renewable energy passed in 2010 and extended out to 2012 for projects that broke ground in 2011 are very generous. Between the tax credits and the monthly payments, the project ends up returning approx 5% on my up-front investment after 5 years. It did take a lot of cash up front, there was risk, and the ultimate payback does take time, but financially it feels a lot like a nice, stable 5% bond, about 4.95% better than interest in my savings account.

And it's good stewardship.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Awesome
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Winter is about $450, Summer is about $750.. Console is on 24/7 and its 64ch.. I turn off the plasmas, GML computer, and fader power every night. I'm currently looking into solar, but not sure yet because I might be moving to a larger space..
πŸ“ Reply