The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Hill Titan versus Crane Song Trakker
Old 9th June 2012

🎧 15 years
Dave Hill Titan versus Crane Song Trakker

Has anyone compared these two compressors?

There's about a $1000 difference between them, so that leads me to believe that the Trakker is more capable, but I'd love to know from you pros.

Thanks much.

Stephen
Old 9th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi

We are still waiting to get our Titan (back order). Dave Hill should start shipping now...
Old 9th June 2012

🎧 15 years
Hi Stephen

no they are def in the same ballpark. But Titan was designed with more extreme color options.
The basic compression cirquit is identical.
The price difference is largely due to the sidechain which in the Titan is done with a DSP instead of all discrete class A like on Trakker.
In clean mode, Titan works pretty much like trakker in optical clean.
Some people around here have already compared them, and while some prefer the trakker, some others prefer Titan.

You would have to check it out yourself and see what works for you. But don't fool yourself in thinking that the Titan is a cheaper made trakker ripoff- its not.

Michiel
SMOKED SOUNDS - Recording and mixing of intimate, acoustic music
Joystick Audio
Old 11th June 2012
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I hope we can compare them soon, we did get to spend a couple days with the Titan to make audio and video files on our site's Clipalator if it at least helps on some level.

War
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Has anyone compared ?
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How about now? Any new opinions on how these two compare?
Old 13th March 2013
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have a pair of Titans. I would not call the coloration extreme at all. It is there, but it is more subtle to me.

Nevertheless, it is a great compressor. But I would not buy it if I was looking for a color compressor, or a Chandler/Neve tone. I would recommend it for clean, smooth compression with subtle coloration when wanted.

The Trakker may have more color, I do not know.

My 2 cents.
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
The Trakker may have more color, I do not know.
The Trakker is an amazing compressor all around IME. But FWIW the coloration even at its most extreme is subtle. Looking forward to hearing the Titan eventually.
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
any update on this? The Titan is significantly less than the Tracker (dollar wise), and given they were designed by the same person, and seem to do the same thing, I have to wonder what's up? I'd love to find out the Titan can do everything the tracker can and more, but I doubt it.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you get different features and a different overall sound, which one you and your wallet prefer is up to you (and your wallet..)

i love the trakker, it is a contender for the all time greatest outboard award, i will fight anyone who disagrees.
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Seems to me they are both trying to do the same thing, but with a slightly different UI. The tracker requires you to know what type "legacy" compressor you want - opto, FET, VCA, etc, and the titan requires you to know what knee shape (and color, what ever that is) you want.

Not having played with either, I would naively assume you could get the same sound from both units, though depending on how your brain works or what you wanted to achieve, you might get there much faster with one than the other. For example, dialing up a LA2A sound with the tracker appears straight forward, but I'm not exactly sure how to approach this with the titan, though it may be just as easy.
Old 4th July 2013
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Titan does not remind me of an La2a at any setting. And that is not a bad thing. I had a pair, sold a pair and plan on getting a pair again. You really know how great gear is when you have had a chance to use it and then it is not available.

I have not used a trakker. My guess is that it is more versatile. But it is also more expensive.

If you want a clean but musical tone and actually are interested in compressing, with virtually no audible artifacts, the Titan is fabulous. And of course, if you want to add a lot of tone, color, distortion, etc., the Titan would not be my first choice. I do like having both options.
Old 7th July 2013

🎧 15 years
It should be noted that the Titan is not a stripped down Trakker, it is a new design and is actually a Diode-Bridge compressor when the Color knob is turned to the right.
Old 15th October 2013

🎧 5 years
just wondering if anyone has recently compared the trakker and the titan?
anymore comparisons?
wondering which one to buy?
Old 24th November 2013

🎧 15 years
I am considering on buying a Dave Hill Titan, I understand that you can achieve La2a like sound with the CraneSong Trakker. Can a Titan's owner let me know if the Titan is capable of achieving the la2a like sound? It is dificult to decide between the Trakker and the Titan. Application Voice-Over recording.

Thank you!
Old 24th November 2013 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
No. But very smooth and invisible compression can be obtained. If you want a "footprint" I would not recommend the Titan. Yes it adds a little color and distortion when tweaked, but it is subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxPro ➡️
I am cosidering on buying a Dave Hill Titan, I understand that you can achieve La2a like sound with the CraneSong Trakker. Can a Titan's owner let me know if the Titan is capable of achieving the la2a like sound? It is dificult to decide between the Trakker and the Titan. Application Voice-Over recording.

Thank you!
Old 24th November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
I am cosidering on buying a Dave Hill Titan, I understand that you can achieve La2a like sound with the CraneSong Trakker. Can a Titan's owner let me know if the Titan is capable of achieving the la2a like sound? It is dificult to decide between the Trakker and the Titan. Application Voice-Over recording.

Thank you!
No you can't achieve an LA-2a sound from a Trakker, what you can get is a really nice sound from a Trakker with different tonal variations. The Trakker is wonderful when you really need to hit a compressor hard but don't want to hear it. For voice over the trakker is a killer. All this emulation hoopla you hear about with the Trakker and the Distressor are basically marketing bs, That's not to say you can't get lot's of nice and different sounds from either box. I prefer the Trakker for vocals by a lot over the distressor though.
Old 25th November 2013 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Thank you! Your advise is much appreciated!

I use to own a Distre.. and totally agree with you on the emulation hoopla. When I read the Trakker notes in page 8 of the manual that when the character switch is set to optical vintage, attack set at 4, release set at 5.5, and knee set at 6; the sound is similar to the classic LA-2A…I was very impressed.

Have you have the opportunity of listening to the Titan? Thank you again.
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Meh...I'm way more interested in a pair of Titans than I am in owning an LA2A...they look friggin' great.

🎧 15 years

For the footprint I will leave the signal passing through an 1176. I like the character that it imparts to the signal…but when you apply compression to high pitch reads the compression is aggresive and noticeable….So, I am looking for a more transparent comp.

Have you A/B the Titan versus Trakker? Some experts say that the Titan is a progression of the Trakker….but there are others that say the Trakker is best compressor. Thank you again.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

For the footprint I will leave the signal passing through an 1176. I like the character that it imparts to the signal…but when you apply compression to high pitch reads the compression is aggresive and noticeable….So, I am looking for a more transparent comp.

Have you A/B the Titan versus Trakker? Some experts say that the Titan is a progression of the Trakker….but there are others that say the Trakker is best compressor. Thank you again.
*looks around* are you...talking to me?

No I have not had the pleasure of hearing the Titan yet...and I've only read about the Trakker. (I've never even seen one in person.)

BUT...the Titan has a lot of features I would want (WET/DRY Knob for internal parallel compression, internal side-chain, even if it's digital, knee controls, and other various creative tonal controls.)

I'm more of a tweaker, so I'll spend time finessing something with a very deep set of controls if I think it's worth the time. Plus this is a unit which can go from extremely transparent to some mild amounts of harmonic distortion, meaning a pair might be great for mastering or as the last compressors in line on my 2Bus after my Chandler Germanium Compressors.

An LA2A is nice...but no where near as flexible...and the Trakker sounds cool, but I'll take the cheaper version of that kind of compressor action with internal parallel compression any day. The fact that it's also cheaper is just a bonus.
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
In terms of size and bigness how big does the trakker sound? Is it huge sounding?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE ➡️
In terms of size and bigness how big does the trakker sound? Is it huge sounding?
If you want huge, get a Slate Dragon. That's a big sounding vocal compressor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE ➡️
its more on the clean side in terms of sound, but it definately won´t make your signals "smaller" if that makes any sense.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red ➡️
its more on the clean side in terms of sound, but it definately won´t make your signals "smaller" if that makes any sense.

Ok I get cha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman ➡️
If you want huge, get a Slate Dragon. That's a big sounding vocal compressor.
I seriously doubt it's any bigger sounding than a Trakker, it's a fet compressor, with nice electronics and some extra tone and blend options.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
I seriously doubt it's any bigger sounding than a Trakker, it's a fet compressor, with nice electronics and some extra tone and blend options.
Good to know...and yes you're right...but it's got some cool "EQ" style contour controls which make it really just...huge and musical.

I am really eying up a pair of titans too. Honestly, I feel that this is an era of next generation compressor designs. I feel no need to buy an 1176 with the Dragons around, and no need for Neve 2264/33609's with my Chandler Germanium Compressors. I think the Titans would be an excellent pair of compressors to snag next due to their features and how they can go much cleaner than the other two units.
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best New Compressor

I own a pair of Titans and I have to tell you it sound amazing...well because it doesn't sound like anything at all (Unless you come in at +16db from your daw and crank up the VCA Color Knob). But for the type of music I produced (Mostly EDM & Reggaeton) It's a beast. Best LEDs metering I've used, great for matching your levels (Input/output vs Gain reduction) It's all re-callable. The Dynamic Color button is my favorite, combine with the SHAPE button it works great on Drums and Plucks. To me it's the best Rap Vocal outboard compressor I've used and I own most of the big-boy compressors. (SHMC, Mpressor, Manley Slam & Vari-Mu, UBK Fatso, Fink 1176...) It's Super fast & Clean, and it takes some getting use to it. On my 2Bus I usually use the Mpressor follow by the Titan (Attack 99, Release 00, Th00 and Shape 99) the Mpressor can be very transparent if you come in at 0db or -16dbfs as my Avid 192 is calibrated but with the TITAN you can come in at full scale and doent sound like anything, Simply amazing!. Again this is based on the type of music I produce and my special applications with the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Hill Titan versus Crane Song Trakker-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Trakkers will pass clean signal even when reducing 9+ dBs, it is hard to hear the action if it's set right. That's great for extremely dynamic vocals where you don't have to worry about "thinning out" or attack artefacts.

It can "darken" the signal with 2nd harmonics if you want and it can even darken the reduced parts in VCA mode. That works quite well on buss/master when you want your snares/kicks to sound heavier.

Though there is opto/air mode that opens high freqs a bit, trakkers are mostly on the transparent and slightly darker side when used on mixes. The transparency in gain reduction can sometimes sound like a "hole" in the audio and the darkening features only add to that when it doesn't fit the material. And its really hard to say if it's going to fit before trying it.

I'd say trakkers are very usefull when there is a real problem with dynamics and you know how to approach the problem. They don't work as general "mojo" compression when you throw anything on it expecting some (small) miracle to come back . That's where for ex. manley mu works better though it can be boring or just not right in many cases when trakkers work well. No surprise.
Old 26th November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman ➡️
Good to know...and yes you're right...but it's got some cool "EQ" style contour controls which make it really just...huge and musical.

I am really eying up a pair of titans too. Honestly, I feel that this is an era of next generation compressor designs. I feel no need to buy an 1176 with the Dragons around, and no need for Neve 2264/33609's with my Chandler Germanium Compressors. I think the Titans would be an excellent pair of compressors to snag next due to their features and how they can go much cleaner than the other two units.
Well Dave Hill's answer to the is the amplifier settings on the Trakker, they all have different tonalities. I would agree that you don't need an 1176 if you have a Dragon, and they sure look cool and have lot's of features. If the Titan does what the Trakker does in terms of being so smooth that you can smack the hell out of it and not really hear anything ugly compressor wise, then it's got to be a winner.
📝 Reply