Quantcast
Best 2 channel A/D conversion for my set up... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best 2 channel A/D conversion for my set up...
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Best 2 channel A/D conversion for my set up...

I am looking for the best and most appropriate 2 channel A/D conversion to record with the gear that we already have. We are recording drums elsewhere, so this would be for bass, guitar, violin and vocals. Our music is indie rock.

Gear:
AKG C12
Phoenix Audio GTQ-2
Digi 002

We basically have a great mic through a great pre and crap for conversion. The only reason we have the 002 is to run Protools. I only need 2 channels. Should I get the Apogee Rosetta 200 or Lavry Blue or Mytek? I am leaning towards the Apogee Rosetta 200 because I am recording Rock. My budget is $2,000.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Mytek Stereo 192 is fantastic, I personally liked it better than the Lavry or Apogee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeal
I am looking for the best and most appropriate 2 channel A/D conversion to record with the gear that we already have. We are recording drums elsewhere, so this would be for bass, guitar, violin and vocals. Our music is indie rock.

Gear:
AKG C12
Phoenix Audio GTQ-2
Digi 002

We basically have a great mic through a great pre and crap for conversion. The only reason we have the 002 is to run Protools. I only need 2 channels. Should I get the Apogee Rosetta 200 or Lavry Blue or Mytek? I am leaning towards the Apogee Rosetta 200 because I am recording Rock. My budget is $2,000.
Old 8th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks

Wow, really. I will look into it. I don't know much about it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just got my Apogee Rosetta 200. If you're looking for that pop/rock radio friendly "sounds like a record" sound, then check it out.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
I just got my Apogee Rosetta 200. If you're looking for that pop/rock radio friendly "sounds like a record" sound, then check it out.
That's what I'm thinking. Although I am still debating the Lavry Blue 4496 AD/DA, Lavry Blue AD with Msync and the Mytek Stereo 192-AD.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For your application - The Mytek 2 channel AD- without a doubt. It's a lot less money and it is NOT less quality. If you want to save a few bucks and don't need ultra high sample rates, the 96k version version sounds exactly the same. The input trim knob can be engaged and used as an attenuator so you can drive your pre harder for tonal variety. (how I use it with an API pre).

Most of all, it sounds fantastic, and if you slave your 002 clock to the Mytek (or any great converter for that matter) your whole system and recorded tracks will sound better.

If you also want DA for monitoring (as in the Lavry or Rosetta 200 you listed) you should certainly include the UA 2192 on your list of considerations - . However, If you also want outboard DA you will need a volume control of some kind so make room in your budget for an equally good passive Monitor controller - i.e. Coleman or the like. Another option for DA might also be the Benchmark or Mytek half-rack DA units as they sound amazing and have a built in output attenuator knob that works great as a volume control for your Monitors.

cheers,

(i don't work for anyone - i like products that overdeliver)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the Lavry's but honestly - Appogee Rosetta 200. Mytek 24/192, Lavry MAD & even the Lucid 24/96 all sound great! Features are all different on the converters. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Rob
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
I use the Lavry's but honestly - Appogee Rosetta 200. Mytek 24/192, Lavry MAD & even the Lucid 24/96 all sound great! Features are all different on the converters. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Rob
What Rob said, with little preference toward Apogee if you do mainly rock or need more in/out options, as well as, other functions.
I have Lavry, too and like it more on particular softer sounding material.
For end result any of mentioned converters will bring you to principally same good or not good result that DOES NOT DEPEND on choice of brand.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thank You All

I really appreciate all of the comments hear. I think I am going to go with the Rosetta 200 because we will be wanting AD and DA, and we are doing mostly rock music. Thanks for all of your help.
πŸ“ Reply