Quantcast
Gefell Mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell Mics
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gefell Mics

havnt seem much of these around. anyone have any experience with them?
for those dont know here is a link of thier history

http://www.gefell-mics.com/gefell_history_1.htm

is neuman mics better now?

price is really high for any of these gefell.

also, what mic's is this guy talking about?

http://www.pcmus.com/chinesemic.htm
Old 31st May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lot's of Gefell threads on this board. Try the search function.

Gefell makes very good microphones and is widely held as a superior company to Neumann in it's current state(owned by Sennheiser). Gefell's are probably as good as anything out there, generally speaking...

Mike
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers
havnt seem much of these around. anyone have any experience with them?
for those dont know here is a link of thier history
Huh? Did you try searching this Forum?

If you did you would quickly see that Gefell mics are owned, used and recommended by many many people on this Forum, most of whom are well aware of the company history!

Sorry, but your question just seems so odd - like asking if anyone has ever heard of BMW or Mercedes on a car Forum!
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a couple of M300 and for shyt's and giggles, I used them as overhead mics. I have to say I was amazed at the detail of the cymbals, and the neutrality of the overall kit. Another thing I noticed was the detail of the decay of the cymbals. Also, none of that weird honky midrange stuff that always seems to pop up using the usual suspects. This could be my new fav. for overheads? ALso really nice on acoustics.
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh my bad i spelled it wrong before in the search field. but what are teh cheap chinese imitation that guy was talking about that i posted before.? is it the baby boottle ? i dont think those are chinese.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gefell is the best mic company on the planet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wouldn't buy one without trying it first, but yeah... they're great mics.

though, much like Neumann I hear that they are about to have a price increase... don't know how true that is though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 5 Gefell mics. I want more.
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got about 9 and I'm sure I'll get more, and I want another UM92 at some point to make a pair. I like the old wierd dynamics like the DM622 which almost sound like a condenser and are pretty cool on guitar cabs and can be had on the cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I bought the 930 as a compliment to my TL-II - I was blown away - the sound was completely unveiled and big and tight. If I could go back in time I might not have bought a collection of Neumanns.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117

though, much like Neumann I hear that they are about to have a price increase... don't know how true that is though.
Not "about" but already have. Regular price increases are common with German companies. Gefells are still way worth it though, without question.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Gefell is the best mic company on the planet.

They are very very good - but the best?? Hmmm tough call - especially when Brauner really has to be in the running as well as Soundelux.

Paul
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn
They are very very good - but the best?? Hmmm tough call - especially when Brauner really has to be in the running as well as Soundelux.

Paul
. After touring their factory and seeing everything(that I could see, some of it is Secret and very well guarded) hand assembled and also witnessing them turn down various spare part shipments because the quality was not good enough, and having them fret over the very smallest of details, I am convinced..yes. Not to mention their legacy and preservation of the old ways of microphone making..

A good break from assembly lines and outsourcing(AKG!), and marketing gimmicks..Just good products that speak well for themselves.
Old 1st June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117

Even with the price increase there still about 10% cheaper than the similar mics in the Neumann range.

We have a mix of 13 in the cupboard. LOVE EM!!
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm a huge fan of the M930. Can't wait to try one of the new UM930. Has anyone seen/heard one? Essentially a multi-pattern M930.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachmen...9&d=1143548794

Regards,
-kk
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice. A 5 pattern mic, and I dig the UM900 style mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevk
I'm a huge fan of the M930. Can't wait to try one of the new UM930. Has anyone seen/heard one? Essentially a multi-pattern M930.

Regards,
-kk
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevk

Regards,
-kk

Yes I have seen one (two actually if you count the M930 Twin, an interesting concept with 2 polar patterns of your choice working at the same time, i.e. you get 2 signals).
Much bigger than the 930 and much more expensive (about 3 times as much).
I haven't heard one. I asked the Gefell rep if it sounded any good heh
He smiled and said that honestly he didn't know as he had not haerd it yet!
If i remember correctly he said it was scheduled for shipping in the autumn.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i worked with the umt 70s and the um 900 and i liked them very much. The 70 is very accurate and i hear no noise, even on a preamp with the gain really high, but need a good clean preamp wit a decent amount of gain to shine really.

the 900 is more warm, but still very acurat and need less gain.

for me they are the clean telefunken style mic, and soundelux and brauner are the more coloured warm telefunken style. (never tested the peluso and pearlman yet so i can't compare). i'm not a big fan of most neumann's so ...

i would use them as room mic or for acoustic instruments or tube distortioned guitars. Also on voices with enough high, not on dark instruments or dark voices. therefore your better of with a good soundelux of brauner with enough high's. Also if you're after a warm coloured mic, the gefell's i worked with are also not so good.
Old 2nd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

93 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Have 3 Geffel mics.
love the the most .
the UM 92.1s or UM75 are verrrrryyy warm with a warm preamp.
whatever warm means.

rich thick harmonics is more descriptive for the the UM 92.1s or UM75
some of the very best mics being made today.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have the UMT-800. Anyone get to compare it to some of the above mentioned models or other Gefells? Was wondering, if to complement it with another multipurpose mic, should I consider another Gefell, or do I pretty much have the Gefell LD sound covered with the UMT-800?

Thanks.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo
Yes I have seen one (two actually if you count the M930 Twin, an interesting concept with 2 polar patterns of your choice working at the same time, i.e. you get 2 signals).
Much bigger than the 930 and much more expensive (about 3 times as much).
I haven't heard one. I asked the Gefell rep if it sounded any good heh
He smiled and said that honestly he didn't know as he had not haerd it yet!
If i remember correctly he said it was scheduled for shipping in the autumn.
Cool! Thanks, Riccardo. 3X the price... yikes. Which internal organ can I sell this time....

Regards,
-kk
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang
I have the UMT-800. Anyone get to compare it to some of the above mentioned models or other Gefells? Was wondering, if to complement it with another multipurpose mic, should I consider another Gefell, or do I pretty much have the Gefell LD sound covered with the UMT-800?

Thanks.
IMO they all have something a little different to offer. I find the 70.1s a little harder than the umt-800. The 930's seem to be a little.......er.......warmer if i dare use that word. I really like the 940's (i think thats the number) as room mics while recording drums. sound HUGE, & the tube mics are completely different beasts all together. I guess all you can say is that they are great mics, but you would have to listen yourself to find another that you like.

My fav out of the ones I have heard would have to be the 990.

Cheers

Jason
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang

Thanks.
The UMT800 is a sleeper in the Gefell line. I have one and will grab another once one shows up. Do you want to sell yours (ha ha)?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the umt800 is a LOT more of a clean/uncolored mic compared to some of the other gefell line. It is fabulous, as they all are..but if you are looking for that typical Gefell sound....for the LDCs, the 930 covers it well...SDCs, M300s, tube..um92.1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I may very likely be that the UMT800 is the most uncolored implementation of the M7 capsule ever. Even so, the M7 naturally "rounds off" transients a bit and "blends" things together somewhat (when compared to most other LD capsules), all very musically and tastefully. There's still some color though. The UMT800 unmistakingly has a Nuemannesque sound (or should I say Gefellesque?).
πŸ“ Reply