Apogee DA 16X help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee DA 16X help
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Apogee DA 16X help

when i connect the DA16X w/ X-HD card to a Digi 192, the audio comes back normal (-16dB).

but when i connect the DA16X directly to the Digi core card without the 192 in the chain, it seems the signal level drops alot. haven't measured it but it's a lot less than when connected to the 192.

also, it seems the 16X looses sync periodically. have to go to hardware setup and remind it to stay on internal clock or word clock.

is the thing just quirky or am i doing something wrong? thank you.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hmm, have you tried the 16x first?
Do you have a sync i/o?(this wouldn't have anything to do with level, just clock stuff)
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hi
i can not comment about the drop signal level, but I have the same setup (hd accel, 1 192 and 1 DA16X) and the guys at Apogee recomended to conect the DA16X first to the core card (card #1), the 192 to the 2nd HD card and clock the 192 TO the DAX via the BNC word clock i/o (meaning the 192 will read the clock coming from the Apoge, WC out from the apogee to WC in of the 192 , the apogge is much better than the Digi as it is the Big Ben chip)
Hope this helps
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSargeantD
hmm, have you tried the 16x first?
Do you have a sync i/o?(this wouldn't have anything to do with level, just clock stuff)
tried it on its own - no 192, and that's when the level dropped! sync was apparently fine (on its own or from Isochrone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by borism
hi
i can not comment about the drop signal level, but I have the same setup (hd accel, 1 192 and 1 DA16X) and the guys at Apogee recomended to conect the DA16X first to the core card (card #1), the 192 to the 2nd HD card and clock
this i haven't tried. just tried the 16X on its own, or following the 192 (connected to the 192, not to the 2nd HD card).

Quote:
the 192 TO the DAX via the BNC word clock i/o (meaning the 192 will read the clock coming from the Apoge, WC out from the apogee to WC in of the 192 , the apogge is much better than the Digi as it is the Big Ben chip)
Hope this helps
i did get this part right. have been clocking the 192 to DA16X or Isochrone no problem (except when it cuts out for no apparent reason).

thank you borism and Xsargeant for your replys.
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very strange since the output levels are not controlled via PT so there should be no difference where/how it connects to your Core/Accel card.
Get back when you try the ADX first, then the 192 and let us know how things are
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD
Very strange since the output levels are not controlled via PT so there should be no difference where/how it connects to your Core/Accel card.
Get back when you try the ADX first, then the 192 and let us know how things are
will do sir. thanks again for your reply!
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
ok, installed PT 7.1/dual G5/tiger last night with the main digi guys here in mexico.

as you suggested, i tried 16X first and digi 192s second (each on their own card), and everything worked fine. actually, worked fine either way, apogee or digi 1st. however after restarting (of course right after they'd left), i got error 1122 repeatedly and no way to open PT after that, no matter what order the interfaces were in!

after a million tries, repaired permissions, throwing digi databases away, etc., PT just didn't open. with 6.9 it was quirky but now it's impossible.

in desperation, i disconnected the 16X. everything opened up fine...

will call apogee tomorrow, but maybe someone has been through this... thank you and sorry for the bother.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you check the firmware of your DA16x ? (I have the 2.17 or 2.07 not sure)
I have the 7.1cs5 with Tiger 10.4.6
I have a HD2 accell with 1x 192 and 3 DA 16x.
With a BigBen.
HD core ---- 192 then 1st DA16x
HD accell ---- DA16x 2 ----------- DA16x 3
Running WITHOUT A GLITCH !
Did you reset the DA16x ?
Be carefull the unit IS NOT COMPATIBLE with delay compensation. (I had problems....)
Did you check your IO setup ?

www.myspace.com/theroomstudio
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Had you done the firmware update to both the 16X AND the HDX card ? I lost recognition of one of my Apogees and did the firmware update on the card and unit itself and it was the recognized again - yeah. And we're still on 6.9 (at least for the next 6 weeks).
Like PW8888 said, try to reset the unit and see if that works before going to the firmware update.
Old 1st June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
thanks alot for checking in guys. here's the update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw8888
Did you check the firmware of your DA16x ? (I have the 2.17 or 2.07 not sure)
yes, updated firmware last night - latest version for both XHD card(1.72) and the unit itself (2.07).

Quote:
I have the 7.1cs5 with Tiger 10.4.6
7.1cs7 and tiger 10.4.6 here.

Quote:
I have a HD2 accell with 1x 192 and 3 DA 16x.
With a BigBen.
have HD2 + process card. 2X 192 and 1 X DA16X. only one 192 connected for the sake of simplicity for now, synced to DA16X clock. also have an isochrone but not using that for now. have been able to clock both apogee and 192 to it successfully in past days though.

Quote:
HD core ---- 192 then 1st DA16x HD accell ---- DA16x 2 ----------- DA16x 3
was told by chris lawson at apogee to always put the 16X 1st as it's being used as master clock, and to have each interface on its own digi cable and card, so that's what i'm doing, but have tried 16X 1st and 2nd in line, and also 16X connected to 192 with varying results recently (on PT 6.9).

but tonight, with PT7, 16X on HDcore and 192 on accell card.

Quote:
Running WITHOUT A GLITCH !
easy for you to say!

Quote:
Did you reset the DA16x ?
yes.

Quote:
Be carefull the unit IS NOT COMPATIBLE with delay compensation. (I had problems....)
only using it to go out to a folcrom. so no problem there. for ADC i use the 192s.

Quote:
Did you check your IO setup ?
i check I/O and hardware setups every time i can get PT to open.

it seems the thing gets more 1122 more errors if i restart as opposed to shutting down, turning interfaces off and on, and booting up again. seems to be more cooperative that way, but i still get the f$%!! error. have been able to get it going more tonight by performing this ceremony, but it's far from stable.

will call digi and apogee support tomorrow and see what else they suggest.

i really appreciate your taking the time to post guys. it's soooo frustrating when you end up troubleshooting more time than you spend working on music.

P.S.
every time i get the 1122 error, i repair permissions and throw these preferences to trash:
- DAE Prefs
- DigiSetup.osx
- Pro Tools v7.0 preferences
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Mmmm... running into a few problems myself. Plays back iTunes and files in Peak -- though it's still a little temperamental in both those apps. However in Digital Performer I'm only getting snippets of sound.

Set it up to clock to the DA16x in Audio Midi application, also within DP. Have the DA16x first, AD16x second, external firewire drive third. Also set it up in System Preferences that the DA16x was the default output.

The manual says to toggle between sample rates in Audio Midi if you get glitches. I did that, and that was the way I got sound in iTunes and Peak.

Have you tried that, Raal?

I'll let you know if I figure anything out with my setup that irons out the situation.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
will call digi and apogee support tomorrow and see what else they suggest.
See what chris or max can help you out with first from Apogee as Digi will not help you at all if you tell then you have a 16x
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ooooooooooppppppppssss I remember having a problem the very first time I installed everything.
Seriously something corrupt the SYSTEM ITSELF.
Protools didn't open anymore ! I never knew what it was.
I tried everything....I just had to reinstall MY WHOLE COMPUTER.
Since then running perfectly
Sound stupid but......
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
thanks again guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD
See what chris or max can help you out with first from Apogee as Digi will not help you at all if you tell then you have a 16x
i also got the error with just one digi 192 so i hope they'll be able to help!!! happens less but it happened. today chris (apogee) suspected it could also be a faulty card. he suggested starting with just a core, adding accell and then a process to see which one could be doing this. sounds logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw8888
ooooooooooppppppppssss I remember having a problem the very first time I installed everything. Seriously something corrupt the SYSTEM ITSELF.
Protools didn't open anymore ! I never knew what it was.
I tried everything....I just had to reinstall MY WHOLE COMPUTER.
Since then running perfectly
Sound stupid but......
thanks pw8888. just hung up with pepe from digi. he said they'd bring extra cards and reinstall the whole system from scratch, so let's see what happens.

FWIW chris lawson (apogee) has been extremely helpful and pepe reveles (digi) has floored me with his genuine concern. pepe and aquiles from digi both have very busy schedules, are constantly traveling and are making time to come over again and take care of this. my sincere thanks if you're reading this.

can't speak for others but i'm very thankful to both digi and apogee for their support teams.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
pepe from digi and said they'd bring extra cards and reinstall the whole system from scratch, so let's see what happens.
This sounds the most likely since it's happening with both the 192 and 16x stand-alone
Old 9th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
update:
formatted the disk and reinstalled everything. the system is alot more stable now, though we still got error 1122 to appear (once). very different though. i was able to work last night without a hitch.... beautiful.

thank you guys for all your help.
Old 10th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Good news, man.
πŸ“ Reply