Quantcast
API 525 or dbx 160x - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 525 or dbx 160x
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
API 525 or dbx 160x

I'm looking for a good first compressor for vocals and drums. Which one do you guys suggest.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
525: great on vocals, not on drums.

Also good on acoustic guitars sometimes.

It's got a fixed attack time (API calls it 'program dependent' so I guess that means it responds to something, but they're not saying what) and four options for release time. But it's the overall character that make it not something I'd use on drums.
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 525 only has two ratios (2:1, 20:1), so it's either just tickling the signal or limiting it. Not very flexible for drums.

160X can be cool for drums (I love dbx stuff on drums, have 160, 165, 160x and 118), not a great vocal comp IMHO.

What's your budget? Maybe we can suggest some comps that would work well in both applications.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
why not a distressor??
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS
why not a distressor??
True. I'll second that. Plus, you'll be able to use it for a lot of other stuff that the 525 or 160 might not work on.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
My budget is about $1000. I thought there would be some good choices at that price. If I save a little more the distressor sounds great.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You should be able to find a used Distressor for around your budget. It's probably the most flexible comp of the fifteen I own.
Deleted 6f6e2d3
525 not good on drums? Nonsense.

2:1 with 100ms release can sound great on a room.

In parallel this setting at 20:1 sounds cool too.
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan
525 not good on drums? Nonsense.

2:1 with 100ms release can sound great on a room.

In parallel this setting at 20:1 sounds cool too.
I'd say this can be true, but not in all cases. I'd definitely not put it in the chain while tracking, though. If the drummer starts digging in, it'll easily go overboard.

I think the main thing is that if he's gonna get one or two channels of compression, maybe the 525 isn't the place to start. They're great, and I'm definitely a fan, though.

For drums I wanna be able to use a compressor without a parallel track if necessary, and I want to be able to put a really slow attack on it if necessary.

As 500-series mania digs in, I see more and more people asking about the 525 since it's the only widely available compressor that'll fit. And they just look so damn appealing, too.

Then again, I'm not a Distressor fan, but that didn't seem to keep it from becoming maybe the best selling modern compressor.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm producing Hip Hop & R&B. Not live druming. Does that help you guys ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would try to get a DBX 165 or A. Great on vocs, bass, acoustics, kik and snare. Very verstatile in auto mode and completely different in manual. You could find one for under $600.
Old 29th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
How do you use the inputs and outputs on the DBX 165. Old school in and outs!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just buy some screw terminal connectors from Radio Shack and make your own pigtails. The old UREI stuff uses the same screw terminals instead of XLRs or 1/4". Like kellyd, I also have a 165A and it can be good on vox, bass, kick and other applications.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
buy a short mic cord...cut in half...2 for stereo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Barrier strips are no big deal. Connect the hot (pin 2) to +, cold (pin 3) to - and sheild to ground. If you are unsure which pins are which they are labeled on the xlr or if you use TRS it's tip = (+) ring = 9-) and sleeve = ground. The barrier strips are labeled so it's pretty easy.
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
fellows I'm a visual guy. Please post a photo of these connections. I'm a musician not a tech guy thanks!
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevusmusic
fellows I'm a visual guy. Please post a photo of these connections. I'm a musician not a tech guy thanks!
Get a trs chord.
There will be a white, red, and bare wire.
The white is possitive, the red is negative, the bare wire is the ground.
I didn't know what I was doing and figured out how to wire an entire 900 rack, and a dbx 160 vu.
πŸ“ Reply