The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hool15 ➡️
CARLOFF , i see you have the FEARN VT7 compressor , tell us something about it , compare it to other compressors .. how do you find the sound .. ? it`s pretty rare and expensive and i will probably never be able to listen to it !

Thanks
I have it over a year and have to say it is the most universal and the most favourite one compressor I own now. It always works. The most strange thing it works really for everything instead of I would want all button breathing madness on drums. The colour can be from very clean to Fairchildish. Always sounds bigger, on vocals doesn't sound spitty even with a big compression. My best piece. Much more used than anything I own.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have a couple of EQs:
Lawo w995/1 EQ pair, nice inductor based EQ from 70s
and
Gainlab Audio Empress, pultec style EQ.

I use a racked Studer 900-series limiter for "quick mastering" if needed.
...and sometimes Aphex 104 Exciter / BigBottom

Last edited by J0hanne5; 1 week ago at 12:45 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
That's my concern, I don't need any clean or dirtier I need different which so far is only the recall which I don't really need on my compressors.

I was interested in the 3 different sounds and how useful they were.

I'll borrow a demo and see maybe.....
If you're looking for different, in my humble opinion it's probably not going to be with the Bettermaker stuff. It's very good, but seems to be more about the recall. I have not used the mastering compressor, but I did own the Bettermaker 500 series pultec-clone and I found it to be quite modern/tight.

For different, Avedis has got the rights to Pye and is releasing a compressor in the $3500 range (granted no one has heard it, but if it's legit it will be different). Also, the chandler stuff is also very different, as far as stereo program compression goes. I personally am looking to try a pair of germaniums, but I owned a pair of LTD2 for years and they're a different voice. (if you don't already have a neve-typecomp)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory ➡️
If you're looking for different, in my humble opinion it's probably not going to be with the Bettermaker stuff. It's very good, but seems to be more about the recall. I have not used the mastering compressor, but I did own the Bettermaker 500 series pultec-clone and I found it to be quite modern/tight.

For different, Avedis has got the rights to Pye and is releasing a compressor in the $3500 range (granted no one has heard it, but if it's legit it will be different). Also, the chandler stuff is also very different, as far as stereo program compression goes. I personally am looking to try a pair of germaniums, but I owned a pair of LTD2 for years and they're a different voice. (if you don't already have a neve-typecomp)
Thanks but I’ve had POM’s Pye for a while and it’s exactly like the original. I sold my OG after hearing them side by side. I have lots of Chandler stuff tube, Germanium and Zener. Wouldn’t work without it.
The Olympic 65 pre’s work wonders with Chandler.
I’m also putting a full recall mix rig together so that’s why I was inquiring into the BM comp as I love the Limiter and the EQ. I just wondered whether it had any cool tricks up it’s sleeve.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hanne5 ➡️
I have a couple of EQs:
Lawo 955/1 EQ pair, nice inductor based EQ form 70s
and

I miss my Lawo W995... selling them was just stupid...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi ➡️
Not experiencing this with my WesAdio NGbus. Your millage may of course vary.
I didn’t love this one on the mix bus either. But as you wrote…ymmv.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have a couple of EQs:
Lawo w995/1 EQ pair, nice inductor based EQ from 70s
and

Always been intrigued by the Gainlab stuff, how do you like and use the Empress?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo ➡️
Always been intrigued by the Gainlab stuff, how do you like and use the Empress?
I have used it for a few weeks, that is, for a couple of projects and some tests. I really like it so far! Looks/feels like a a solid high quality piece for me. I cannot say how it compares with a real pultec or any other clone but it sounds great as far as I hear... A lot of frequencies available, steps are small enough for mastering (for me at least), midband gives a lot more than H/L bands only and it overlaps with a highband. "Boost normal /boost shift" and "cut normal / cut shift" switches give even more options. I really like to use the boost shift for a low band. It cuts away some boominess. "Tube boost" works for some material but it's a bit too much for my taste. Maybe better for individual tracks or busses than a stereo track. Price is good for a dual mono made in EU tube EQ.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have used it for a few weeks, that is, for a couple of projects and some tests. I really like it so far! Looks/feels like a a solid high quality piece for me. I cannot say how it compares with a real pultec or any other clone but it sounds great as far as I hear... A lot of frequencies available, steps are small enough for mastering (for me at least), midband gives a lot more than H/L bands only and it overlaps with a highband. "Boost normal /boost shift" and "cut normal / cut shift" switches give even more options. I really like to use the boost shift for a low band. It cuts away some boominess. "Tube boost" works for some material but it's a bit too much for my taste. Maybe better for individual tracks or busses than a stereo track. Price is good for a dual mono made in EU tube EQ.
Thanx a lot!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo ➡️
Thanx a lot!
My pleasure!
A couple of points more

You can boost/cut a lot without making it sound bad. My latest work with Empress was a live show video cut with Zoom Q8 camera/recorder. I used the tube boost option and a lot of boosting at lows and middles to make it sound more "professionally processed audio"

It utilizes soviet tubes (?). No idea how to replace them if ever need to. I hope the company keeps up going in the future.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It utilizes soviet tubes (?). No idea how to replace them if ever need to. I hope the company keeps up going in the future.
If it's like the compressor the tube tubes are easily replaceable but it's a bit shady that no one mentions the tube in the eq anywhere. You'd have to take the lid off and google the tube's serial number to find out, but don't worry Russia has made enough tubes to last forever seeing as they have always used them for their military equipment across the USSR.
I'd be interested though if anyone knows. The IC is curious but still. They do a lot for a little money.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff ➡️
I have it over a year and have to say it is the most universal and the most favourite one compressor I own now. It always works. The most strange thing it works really for everything instead of I would want all button breathing madness on drums. The colour can be from very clean to Fairchildish. Always sounds bigger, on vocals doesn't sound spitty even with a big compression. My best piece. Much more used than anything I own.
Do you think it would pair well with a 2500 for faster material? I’ve been eyeing the vt7 for years.
📝 Reply