The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 23rd June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen ➡️
For my use it’s perfect . 2 inserts with MS and wet dry pot . The 2nd and 3rd overdrive that can just bring the edge out on any given frequency with a filter . It’s my favorite overdrive unit. It takes a while to get used to. Often you put too much and you get a crunchy mix . You have to listen at low volumes to get it right. I always back it off a bit . But it can add great overtones to stuff that is a bit soft instead of eq or compression . The zener on the S in the high end really widens your mix and the fet on the M in lo mid band gives a nice round edge . It just an amazing tool.
Hi sorry - what unit are you referring to for driving? Curious now.
Old 23rd June 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Hi sorry - what unit are you referring to for driving? Curious now.
Most certainly the Vertigo VSM-2
Old 5th July 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Question to everyone talking converters (the one thing EVERYONE has on their 2bus lol)
There seems to be a lot of distaste on this thread for the Lynx Aurora (n) series. I've been coveting one for some time as my first real converters (not this consumer crap where I can't actually bypass the preamps). Is the Aurora (n) really not up to par? From the comments/praises expressed here for some of the other converters, it seems like people are preferring other converters not for their transparency but for their saturation... which seems like something I wouldn't want out of my converters??? Very curious what all the pros here think.
Old 5th July 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
just to clarify, its not that I don't like saturation when it's needed. But i get plenty. God knows, everything I track goes through at least a transformer, and my mix is entirely analog gear full of tubes and trannys. I feel transparency should be the golden standard for conversion and that's what I'm trying to work towards in that respect.
Old 5th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaamah ➡️
Question to everyone talking converters (the one thing EVERYONE has on their 2bus lol)
There seems to be a lot of distaste on this thread for the Lynx Aurora (n) series. I've been coveting one for some time as my first real converters (not this consumer crap where I can't actually bypass the preamps). Is the Aurora (n) really not up to par? From the comments/praises expressed here for some of the other converters, it seems like people are preferring other converters not for their transparency but for their saturation... which seems like something I wouldn't want out of my converters??? Very curious what all the pros here think.
you can do some free loopbacks on access analog and get a feel for them yourself. i did. they seemed to prioritize high mids more than my duet 2.

my ultimate conclusion was that it didn't matter. and conversion is the one area where cheaper stuff is actually just fine.

i think the reality boils down to each converter being imperfect in a different way. if you're fighting against your converters because their flavor of imperfect often goes against what you're trying to do, then you could look for one that does the opposite. but shopping for 'better' and 'more perfect' in this area i would question. get clear about what's wrong with yours before you make a big move, lest it turn out to be an expensive lateral one. can't bypass the preamps? what does that sound like? lo-fi? really? how so?

for instance, wanting extra color is a fine reason to get different converters. then again, you can get color other places, too.

did you check out eric valentine's converter shootout between digi002's and burls?
Old 6th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the comments/praises expressed here for some of the other converters, it seems like people are preferring other converters not for their transparency but for their saturation... which seems like something I wouldn't want out of my converters??? Very curious what all the pros here think.
There are a lot of converters out there which are designed to color the sound in some way, such as the Burl units, and that's fine if you like that coloration. I don't want converters to color the sound in part because the converters are -always- in the signal path and if you want that coloration on one recording you might not want it on another.

Converters today are so much better than they were in the eighties and nineties, it is not funny. I recently compared the converters in one of the Tascam field recorders with the first generation Prism from the early nineties and there was a clear and obvious difference which I personally think was in favor of the Tascam. Even cheap converters are no longer bad.

That's not to say that you shouldn't buy a Prism, a Weiss, or a Lavry if you have the budget for it, but in terms of being able to deliver a better final result you'll probably get a lot more for your money by putting it into monitoring and room treatment than into converters.
--scott
Old 7th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
just to clarify, its not that I don't like saturation when it's needed. But i get plenty. God knows, everything I track goes through at least a transformer, and my mix is entirely analog gear full of tubes and trannys. I feel transparency should be the golden standard for conversion and that's what I'm trying to work towards in that respect.
I feel like converters can be like any other piece of signal processing, one option is cool but several may be necessary. My main interface atm is an Apollo x16. No slouch by any means but Apollo anything def gets mixed reactions. I wanted something on the cleaner/transparent side and recently picked up a NOS Lavry AD10. It’s def a nice contrast to the x16, really like it so far. I’d like to grab a dangerous or burl in the future for some experimentation but am in no huge hurry.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The converter conversation has been done to death but I always like a few high end choices for mixdown and mastering depending on the track. I’m fairly happy with Prism, Dangerous and a Grimm clock. The biggest difference in my chain recently has been adding Bettermaker units and removing the Anamod ATS. I track and mix with enough saturation, I want the 2 buss to be deep and dependable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
The converter conversation has been done to death but I always like a few high end choices for mixdown and mastering depending on the track. I’m fairly happy with Prism, Dangerous and a Grimm clock. The biggest difference in my chain recently has been adding Bettermaker units and removing the Anamod ATS. I track and mix with enough saturation, I want the 2 buss to be deep and dependable.
I got all 3 BMs... My mixbus ain't mad lol

Between that and a Sigma... Recalling analog mixes is life. I don't understand why manufacturers don't exploit that. This is litterally what the market wants.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez ➡️
I got all 3 BMs... My mixbus ain't mad lol

Between that and a Sigma... Recalling analog mixes is life. I don't understand why manufacturers don't exploit that. This is litterally what the market wants.
Yes that’s where this thread should head….
Old 8th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by benda ➡️
The Aurora (n) is amazing. Very clear and detailed, not colored. Personally I found it to be a decent upgrade from the Apollo and it has a great word clock.
Old 8th August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar2001 ➡️
The Aurora (n) is amazing. Very clear and detailed, not colored. Personally I found it to be a decent upgrade from the Apollo and it has a great word clock.
The (n) series is good. I really disliked the series before this one though.
Old 8th August 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't have an Aurora(n) but a close friend who's ears I trust above all absolutely loves his, and he's a picky SOB.

I have a few Mytek 8x192 interfaces but seeing as Mytek has abandoned professional converters to chase the extremely lucrative hipster audiophile market, I'm thinking of switching over. I love the sound of my Myteks and if they go down, I'll most likely replace them with Aurora(n)s.
Old 9th August 2022
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
With the addition of a RND 5254 compressor, my master bus is now: Benchmark Dac3>Dramastic Obsidian>RND 5254>Tube Tech HLTA>A/D converter (Apogee Symphony MkII)
Old 9th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar2001 ➡️
I agree. I just got one. The 32 runs hotter than a mother.
Old 9th August 2022 | Show parent
afv
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Preferred the Antelope over the Aurora.
Not sure it was n series or different.
Ended up assembling converters similar to the Antelope.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead ➡️
after trying and buying a buncha shit... my FINAL one for mix buss or mastering is...

Dangerous 2Bus LT
SSL G compressor
API 5500
Clariphonic
Tonelux Equalux (usually its on a stem)

Happy camper over here
It makes a lot of sense to use the clariphonic after the API 5500. I see your logic here...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
2BUS
(Neve 542's / Dione Compressor / Vandergraph Compressor / Drawmer 1974)

Mastering Chain
(API 5500 / Neve MBP / Maag EQ4M)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am still on NEVE AMS 8803 Eq -> SSL BUS Comp (Xrack)
Then for mastering I just use the Softube Weiss Maximizer. Simple as that.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do you tend to prefer EQ before or after compression on the mixbus? I do any subtractive EQing on ProQ3 before hitting my DA, so I was thinking it would make sense to go ProQ3>DA>Compression>Additive EQ>AD>Limiter for example...though I'm curious about additive EQ before compression, and when that might be your choice vs after comp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS ➡️
Do you tend to prefer EQ before or after compression on the mixbus? I do any subtractive EQing on ProQ3 before hitting my DA, so I was thinking it would make sense to go ProQ3>DA>Compression>Additive EQ>AD>Limiter for example...though I'm curious about additive EQ before compression, and when that might be your choice vs after comp.
The compressors sound and features need to be taken into account. These effect where they'd go in the chain.
Lives for gear

The order tends to be: API 5500 > Dangerous Comp > Porter Grinder > Neve MBP > Lynx Hilo.

I do sometimes lead off with a set of matched RND 542's. Or I will run that on a parallel mix bus, or a set of Neve 2264's if I'm looking for some extra transformer color etc..
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)-img_3897.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS ➡️
I EQ after Compression, but I'm not a pro.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagebear6 ➡️
I EQ after Compression, but I'm not a pro.
What’s a pro?

I don’t have any set rules, but I will say, a pultec or shelf eq after the main 2-bus compressor is nice to lift the extremes that lose energy by compressing and saturating.

If I need to cut anything, typically it’s before the 2-bus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
What’s a pro?

I don’t have any set rules, but I will say, a pultec or shelf eq after the main 2-bus compressor is nice to lift the extremes that lose energy by compressing and saturating.

If I need to cut anything, typically it’s before the 2-bus.
A pro makes their living from this, otherwise you’re a hobbyist.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
A pro makes their living from this, otherwise you’re a hobbyist.
According to the Olympic committee, you only have to be paid once for it to be a pro.
--scott
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
In that case, I’m a pro!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've put together my favorite bus processing for the remainder of my time recording music, and I am loving it.

Currently set up as:

Henley Michelangelo EQ -> Henley Pollock Compressor (these two together, holy sh!t the beautiful things you can do to the high end) -> Highland Dynamics BG1 -> Thermionic Culture Pullet -> 2/RCA BA-31a for make up gain

but lot's of potential combos and flexibility.

Tracking a new project now, can't wait to start mixing it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pints ➡️
In that case, I’m a pro!
Are you happy now.
Iam only happy when it rains. :D
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At the moment FATSO MKII / DANGEROUS Compressor, AVALON AD2055