Quantcast
What's on your master bus? (analog only please) - Page 54 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just added the Zulu on the master buss. Magic.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Hmmm, that's interesting. It doesn't sound like I would gain (pardon the pun) much from them. I'd like to try the Wes on drums though.
The POM Fairchild is the main stereo processor in my studio. I still love it. That and his Pye clone are probably the best sounding comps I have.
As a drum compressor I actually think it's pretty novel as you'd be able to make more extreme use of its features.

Thanks. Time to make way for some POM.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Conversion Apollo X4
1. Silver Bullet
2. Audioscape buss comp
3. Fusion
4. MBP

I have to say, ever since I got this HW chain things started to fall into place for me. It's like a missing link to 'that sound'. Especially the SB and the MBP, absolute game changers. But the Fusion has it's role, especially the HF comp, but also de Violet and a tad of width can do wonders.

Would love to get some input on whether the X4's conversion might be holding me back to get an even greater return out of my chain. Would a Burl DA or AD (or does is have to be both???) make yet another significant improvement? Also open to other recommendations.

Cheers! Jens
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk220 ➡️
Conversion Apollo X4
1. Silver Bullet
2. Audioscape buss comp
3. Fusion
4. MBP
Cheers! Jens
Dont you find Fusion absolutely redundant in this chain ? I mean , you have awesome width/depth control in MBP , also enough color in SB and MBP ..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hool15 ➡️
Dont you find Fusion absolutely redundant in this chain ? I mean , you have awesome width/depth control in MBP , also enough color in SB and MBP ..
I also wondering why the bus comp and the MBP
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hool15 ➡️
True, but HF comp with the violet eq adds something extra to the table. Violet is way different than the bax in the SB. Colorwise you’re right, Fusion’s vintage drive is rarely what I end up going for. As I said, a small tad of width on the Fusion still seems to add a little something, even on top of the MBP, but this might be psychological

The thing is I bought the Fusion first.. That said, I’m not parting with it.

Cheers
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
I also wondering why the bus comp and the MBP
I have to admit, I bought the Fusion and the bus comp first, so I started out using it a bit differently from the way I use them now. Wrt the bus comp, it’s now fixed on a glue setting, just doing 1 or 2db of reduction. Mbp is where I dial in the compressor to fit the groove, I also almost always use a tad of limiting on the mbp, it just sounds great imo. When I look at my Fab Pro L GR meter it’s become so nice and steady ever since I got these compressor stages to do their bits. So I guess it’s a matter of control. It also allows me to push thing way louder without things getting nasty. And my ITB mixbus is very minimal now, it used to be stacked! I can even do small overdubs with VSTs running at insanely low buffer rate, even during the very final stages of my mix. Lots of people wouldn’t need this, but to me this is absolutely awesome.

Straying now hahah, cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Agree without transformers on a mix.
BM just very slightly clipped. More often not any action on the meters here. I use it as a final volume booster.
I use my Hedd192 to do the clipping
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk220 ➡️
True, but HF comp with the violet eq adds something extra to the table. Violet is way different than the bax in the SB. Colorwise you’re right, Fusion’s vintage drive is rarely what I end up going for. As I said, a small tad of width on the Fusion still seems to add a little something, even on top of the MBP, but this might be psychological

The thing is I bought the Fusion first.. That said, I’m not parting with it.

Cheers
Your allegiance should be to the sound. Not the gear. It doesn't matter if you bought something first or last. If it doesn't fit... Its GONE.

And that Apollo is sorta holding you back.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez ➡️
Your allegiance should be to the sound. Not the gear. It doesn't matter if you bought something first or last. If it doesn't fit... Its GONE.

And that Apollo is sorta holding you back.
Great point, but to me it’s a little more nuanced. I love the sound of both the Fusion and the G bus, however, I consider the added value in the ‘luxurious’ range. I’m holding on to it because it gets me at the sweetspot faster and I don’t need the cash right now.
Wrt the mbp and SB, I wouldn’t part with it under any circumstances. It gives me like 85% of the magic and I cannot think of any plugin equivalents.

Thanks for the tip, I’m gonna find a way to demo a unit.

Cheers
📝 Reply