The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisionary ➡️
I added two Zod DI’s to the chain last month and I die a little each time I take them off to use them for their “intended purposes”.

Current 2bus chain:
Silver Bullet>Audioscape Buss Comp>Black Box HG-2>Overstayer MAS>Neve MBP>Zod DI’s

Result: Straight butter.
Wow. Dude. Just. Wow. Got any demo tracks of this golden master chain?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso ➡️
Does the Zod act as a limiter at the end of your chain? Can it catch transients?

No. It's all about soundstage and tone. Depth, width and size.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
Wow. Dude. Just. Wow. Got any demo tracks of this golden master chain?
Nothing I could post here at the moment, but maybe someone could send me a track of theirs to run through the chain and I could post it here. I’m pretty busy atm, though.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
No. It's all about soundstage and tone. Depth, width and size.
That’s exactly what my experience has been. I wouldn’t expect a night and day difference, but the extra 5% it adds to an already great mix is really special.

I have used them on everything from funk and R&B, to electronic and metal. I’m actually really surprised how well they did on the latter genres. I’ve adjusted the way I mix to leave a little extra transient information in because some of the units in my chain like to eat them up in a really pleasant way, allowing me to compress less ITB.

Oh, and thank you for spilling the beans on this setup, Dr. Bill!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh, and thank you for spilling the beans on this setup, Dr. Bill!
Shhhhhhhh!!!!!

Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sorry to add to the noise but I’m interested in a pair on the 2 bus...

Are you guys hitting them with line level/impedance? If so are you attenuating before hitting it down from full on Mixbus levels to avoid over saturation?

Big thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Darthlimiter added as a final piece before the Hedd 192.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmundo ➡️
Sorry to add to the noise but I’m interested in a pair on the 2 bus...

Are you guys hitting them with line level/impedance? If so are you attenuating before hitting it down from full on Mixbus levels to avoid over saturation?

Big thanks!
@ dandeurloo @ ZOD spent a long time listening, tweaking and developing pads to pull back line levels (mixes on 2 buss) before hitting the Zod's. You can get them from him at the same time you order the ZOD's. They work / sound great.

And yeah, I hit them at line level. Not attenuating.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
@ dandeurloo @ ZOD spent a long time listening, tweaking and developing pads to pull back line levels (mixes on 2 buss) before hitting the Zod's. You can get them from him at the same time you order the ZOD's. They work / sound great.

Okay thanks man
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey bill! I sold my Zod because I preferred my Reddi (for the type of bass Im recording)and I was wondering if you ever compared the reddi on the mix buss?
Quote:

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion ➡️
Hey bill! I sold my Zod because I preferred my Reddi (for the type of bass Im recording)and I was wondering if you ever compared the reddi on the mix buss?
Nope. Sorry.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds spectacular!
Attached Thumbnails
What's on your master bus? (analog only please)-img_2996.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NEVE 8803 EQ - SSL Bus Compressor (X-rack version) - Bettermaker Darthlimiter
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
At the moment -

Foote P4S ME -> Vertigo VSM-2 -> Insert 1 Vertigo VSC-3 -> Insert 2 Elysia Museq -> Overstayer M-A-S -> TubeTech HLT-2AM -> Rockruepel Limit One

The Foote is just doing a tiny bit of tightening before the mix hits the Vertigo Comp which is doing the heavy lifting on the bus. I'm doing like half a dB or 1db at most at like 1.25:1 in RMS mode on the Foote. The VSM is probably the most amazing thing I've ever heard when it comes to bus saturation. After it passes through the VSC which I adore as a Mix bus comp - the release on it has such a great feel, and the Museq which is my favorite EQ on the planet. The M-A-S is there just to provide the final glue. It's another great unit that just slightly smoothes over stuff perfectly and has this way of making it sound cohesive. The TubeTech is a phenomenal tilt filter with shelves and cut filters so I'm using that to very slightly re-balance if it feels like a mix is a little off with the other mixes on an album. The Limit One is just to catch the strays here and there.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nothing I could post here at the moment, but maybe someone could send me a track of theirs to run through the chain and I could post it here. I’m pretty busy atm, though.
That's awesome of you. I would like to send you two of them if you can carve out time.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Shhhhhhhh!!!!!

I, too, have a pair based on this info. Sound great, but I do have a question:

How did you even come up with the idea of strapping these to the two bus?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I use ALL of the mr focus modules. I have 12 of them. . The ones I use on the mix bus are RGB's with Hitmaker 4000's in them. For just a little SSL EQ/Saturation between the Silver Bullet and ZOD's.
@ drBill I’m just curious if you have the EQ on the Hitmakers engaged on your mixbus. And do you use Mass Drivr in the second slot on them?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pints ➡️
How did you even come up with the idea of strapping these to the two bus?

I like to use gear in the WRONG ways.

Dan suggested it, and I tried it and loved it. Then it was just a matter of getting the right pads designed, which Dan spent a lot of time on.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms ➡️
@ drBill I’m just curious if you have the EQ on the Hitmakers engaged on your mixbus. And do you use Mass Drivr in the second slot on them?
Hitmaker EQ IS engaged, and although I do have MassDrivr's in the second slot of the MrFocus modules, I'm not using them for this particular application. They are disengaged. Also the Focus EQ is not in. Just the hitmakers.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I like to use gear in the WRONG ways.

Dan suggested it, and I tried it and loved it. Then it was just a matter of getting the right pads designed, which Dan spent a lot of time on.
I’m currently using without the pads, following an error in my order resulting in them later than the units (fair play to Dan though, he sent me a Zod bottle opener with the pads!). Whilst I was waiting Dan suggested I use them without, sounded great, so never got round to using them. I may give them another go.
Gear Head

Like to keep it simple..

D/A to DSP > TL Audio C1 comp > A/D converters > ITB mastering

Hardware EQ? Nah. Maybe some day !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the current project I´m using a Smart C1LA -> 33609 -> modified Drawmer 1961 on the mixbus, tracked to a Tascam DA3000.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
MrG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Currently running the following:

HEDD 192 > Insert: Audioscape Bus Comp > UnFairchild > Fearn VT-7 > Fearn VT-5 > Terry Audio CEQ > GOLY Porter Grinder > GOLY Dynamic Shelving EQ > Inserts: Several pairs of huge rare matching transformers > HEDD 192

I’m experimenting with where to best use the Terry CEQ in the chain, and may move it before the UnFairchild or Fearns, or last - thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
MG

Last edited by MrG; 3 weeks ago at 03:54 AM..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG ➡️
HEDD 192 > Audioscape Bus Comp > UnFairchild > Fearn VT-7 > Fearn VT-5 > Terry Audio CEQ > GOLY Porter Grinder > GOLY Dynamic Shelving EQ > Inserts: Several pairs of huge rare matching transformers > HEDD 192

I’m experimenting with where to best use the Terry CEQ in the chain, and may move it before the UnFairchild or Fearns, or last - thoughts welcome!

Very slu... er, spacey!

I've been theorizing the best way to approach preserving and/or embellishing the tube overtones; push eq presence / air into the tubes or boost after tubes. Thinking the last device ought to be my finest tube overtones unit, with the color transformers 2nd to last, generating even more harmonics and overtones for the tubes to sparkle upon. Have you tried the Unfairchild last?
MrG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEspresso ➡️
Very slu... er, spacey!

I've been theorizing the best way to approach preserving and/or embellishing the tube overtones; push eq presence / air into the tubes or boost after tubes. Thinking the last device ought to be my finest tube overtones unit, with the color transformers 2nd to last, generating even more harmonics and overtones for the tubes to sparkle upon. Have you tried the Unfairchild last?
Spacey indeed!

Good call about the UnFairchild last. I am toying with moving both Fearns and UnFairchild last, perhaps the Fearns post UnFairchild to determine the final dynamics. Obviously very minimal GR on the UnFairchild, and sometimes it’s not in at all.

My next move is to hardwire all of these after some switching which I’m excited about.

Fun stuff!
MG
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Spacey indeed!

Good call about the UnFairchild last. I am toying with moving both Fearns and UnFairchild last, perhaps the Fearns post UnFairchild to determine the final dynamics. Obviously very minimal GR on the UnFairchild, and sometimes it’s not in at all.

My next move is to hardwire all of these after some switching which I’m excited about.

Fun stuff!
MG
Do you have a favorite record made through this chain?

- c
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Currently running the following:

HEDD 192 > Insert: Audioscape Bus Comp > UnFairchild > Fearn VT-7 > Fearn VT-5 > Terry Audio CEQ > GOLY Porter Grinder > GOLY Dynamic Shelving EQ > Inserts: Several pairs of huge rare matching transformers > HEDD 192

Cheers,
MG
Thoughts.....that’s a pretty weak chain.

Just kidding! Fook me. That sounds like the stuff of dreams!
MrG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pints ➡️
Thoughts.....that’s a pretty weak chain.

Just kidding! Fook me. That sounds like the stuff of dreams!
Thank you good sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Do you have a favorite record made through this chain?

- c
Hey C - good point as usual! short answer is yes I have a favorite of recent, and I believe the artist is releasing it tomorrow along side a synch - I’ll post a link here on the chopping block tomorrow!

Longer answer is the Terry CEQ is quite new (2 weeks), the Goly’s less so but still very new, so I don’t have a wide range of released material run through this chain to choose from just yet. More than happy to run something through for you if you send it along -mark.galup > reelrecording.com

I just hardwired the CEQ to my HEDD 192, putting it first, and it sounds the best yet. I’m going to try moving the UnFairchild last after the GOLYs on an insert.

Cheers all,
MG
MrG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you good sir!

Hey C - good point as usual! short answer is yes I have a favorite of recent, and I believe the artist is releasing it tomorrow along side a synch - I’ll post a link here on the chopping block tomorrow!

Longer answer is the Terry CEQ is quite new (2 weeks), the Goly’s less so but still very new, so I don’t have a wide range of released material run through this chain to choose from just yet. More than happy to run something through for you if you send it along -mark.galup > reelrecording.com

I just hardwired the CEQ to my HEDD 192, putting it first, and it sounds the best yet. I’m going to try moving the UnFairchild last after the GOLYs on an insert.

Cheers all,
MG
The track I mentioned has been released:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/179298523

https://open.spotify.com/track/470wd...RlyOhg7WiXfCQQ

This was a master only, and I didn't use the CEQ on this one as I didn't have it yet.

Hope this is somewhat enlightening!

Best,
MG

Last edited by MrG; 3 weeks ago at 01:32 AM.. Reason: Added Spotify link
Gear Head

I just want some of those vintage colored knobs.
📝 Reply