Quantcast
favorite uses for drawmer 1960 ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
favorite uses for drawmer 1960 ?
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
favorite uses for drawmer 1960 ?

i am doing a live 4 piece this week and am borrowing a 1960 for extra pres - where does it shine and not work.... thinking bass or overheads maybe....

(BTW it's a vintage motown sound we're going for...)
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc
i am doing a live 4 piece this week and am borrowing a 1960 for extra pres - where does it shine and not work.... thinking bass or overheads maybe....

The 1960 is pretty all around great.
I just did a session with a Fender P-Bass, and auditioned the direct input of both my beloved Pacifica, and the instrument input on the 1960..all band members and myself prefered the 1960. Assign to it's channel 1 compressor, and I am sure that you will love the sound for Bass.
It sounds pretty good with some headroom for overheads, but I would keep any stereo compression very low on this unit, less than 2 or 3 db.
I would try and use channel 1 for bass, and the other channel 2 for vocals....for both vocals and bass, you can get hit the compression pretty hard (up to 10 db) and it sounds great.
Good luck Brotha!
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've used the 1960 pres for kik, snare, oh's, vox and bass with acceptable results. The comp sits on a stereo buss now. What other pres do you have available for the session? Your reply will help with answers. Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's great for keeping a pizza warm. Oh yes, and it's a great paperweight heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
I like it working on the BGV stereo pair buss, haven't tried it for keeping pizzas warm. Do you set your 1960 on the pizza or the pizza on top?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It's awesome for that super compressed Stratocaster clean guitar sound.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
You know the more I think about this bs post is the reason I don't post often. The brother asked a straight forward question about an upcoming session and the gear he has to work with.

What did you contibute kestral? That he should lose the 2 extra pres he needs for the gig? Or, he shouldn't ask it here about the 4 figure piece of kit? What would you do...walk from the session because your pizza dfegad is already warm? fuuck
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchmo
You know the more I think about this bs post is the reason I don't post often. The brother asked a straight forward question about an upcoming session and the gear he has to work with.

What did you contibute kestral? That he should lose the 2 extra pres he needs for the gig? Or, he shouldn't ask it here about the 4 figure piece of kit? What would you do...walk from the session because your pizza dfegad is already warm? fuuck
Beautiful.
list price of $3000...yeah, a pizza warmer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What did you contibute kestral?
entertainment for me.

bwaha!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
entertainment for me.

bwaha!
Didn't know this post was about you. What about the poster's question? Are you saying fuk off?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc

Another thought on this...
The 1960 will "shine" the best, if you think of it as a mic pre/ compressor , and not just a mic pre.
I have owned mine for about 10 years, and I think it sounds "warm and fat" when you can push the compressor after the mic pre. I think you will like it for your motown sound gig.
Have fun!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
Another thought on this...
The 1960 will "shine" the best, if you think of it as a mic pre/ compressor , and not just a mic pre.
I have owned mine for about 10 years, and I think it sounds "warm and fat" when you can push the compressor after the mic pre. I think you will like it for your motown sound gig.
Have fun!
I think it sounds best as a comp. the pres can get you through if that is all you have.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think it sounds best as a comp. the pres can get you through if that is all you have.
I know that seems to be the general opinion I have read by others on this board.....
I have honestly wondered if they changed the specs somewhere along the way from the unit I bought 10 or 11 years ago....
I like the pre's, especially when used with the compressor.
Just my 2..
Lives for gear

since the pres are not on the bright side it (the 1960) works great with super bright chinese mics
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C.
since the pres are not on the bright side it works great with super bright chinese mics
Exactly! I just made a preamp comparison for aggressive female vocals this afternoon. Tried my APIs, ADTs and the Drawmer. The Drawmer was the only one that could tame the mid bite. That's nice! So if you have something to be softened, try the 1960. If you want clarity (which is what I normally want) try something else!
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
member no 666

🎧 15 years
FWIW I have found the 1960 to have no discernable redeeming qualities [which became the impetus for the creation of the 1969].
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
FWIW I have found the 1960 to have no discernable redeeming qualities [which became the impetus for the creation of the 1969].
That's true for the compressor IMO. As I said the pres can be really useful to tame harsh sources. Try it!

AND the best thing about the 1960 is the instrument preamp. Still my "goto device" for direct bass recordings.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We have sold many 1960's and continue to: Rob Fraboni is a good example on his Keith Richards stuff. Brookes and Dunn, lead vocal channel live for years and years....many many folks. These people still find the 1960 compressor is unique. The 1960 DI and main tube output section are the same on both the 1960/1969. The 1969 is FET compressor with some detector tweaks while the 1960 is a tube VCA compressor.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Original poster posted in the wrong forum. This is the "High End" section, not "Low End Theory".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know many dislike this unit around here,
I got mine few monthes ago and agreed fast that the pres are not so good and actually a bit dull and flat sounding.
but the compressor is very special, i just finished mixing an album with classical rock/r'n'b vibes for a major label the 1960 was used on every track mainly as mix buss compressor (never grab more than 2-3db! and on 2 songs i did roll of the basses under 80hz on the s/c to make compression more transparent) kicking a way my ssl compressor (which was used on only 1 song).
I used it also on voc and bass with much success.
it seemes very very slow at first but when you get the idea of how it react it is very useful.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They make a great doorstop!dfegad
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde
Rob Fraboni is a good example on his Keith Richards stuff.
The only Keith Richards' stuff I'm aware of Mr. Fraboni doing was "Wingless Angels" and some overdubs on Hubert Sumlin and Blondie Chaplin's records... but we're not joined at the hip, there could have been something else... maybe the stuff that Ben Elliot did at Showplace had some Fraboni involvement of which I'm unaware...

The real interesting thing is that the session where I formed my intense disdain for the 1960 was a "Sir Mack Rice" record on which I was the engineer for a portion [and Mr. Fraboni produced].

The 1969 is far [and I do mean far!!] from any kind of genius set of mic pre's... but they are certainly far more competent in my opinion than the pre's in the 1960... but that would be my opinion [which I reckon is why the 1969 has the words "Mercenary Edition"... because it was indeed up to my standards of quality].

As for the 1960 being a "tube VCA"... I need you esplain dat one.

All gain reduction devices in compressors use some form of "voltage controlled amplifier" [VCA]. An optical compressor uses the optical cell to control the operating voltage of the gain reduction amplifier... a "delta/variable MU" style gain reduction section uses a [gasp] change in voltage to the gain tube to create gain reduction... which coincidentally makes a FET based compressor, you guessed it, an amplifier which is voltage controlled.

So... as the compressor section of the 1960 really sounds like complete ass... and while it makes zero difference at the end of the day WHICH of the myriad of potential gain reduction cell designs is employed in the compressor... I guess I'm kinda curious which principle I should instruct any future collaborators to avoid like it caused an inflamed prostate.
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher

The real interesting thing is that the session where I formed my intense disdain for the 1960 was a "Sir Mack Rice" record on which I was the engineer for a portion [and Mr. Fraboni produced].
Where was the 1960 employeed? Tracking or on mixdown? Across the mix, on a stereo buss...Please let us know. Many Thanks , Steve
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…