Quantcast
protools TDM buildup - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
protools TDM buildup
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
protools TDM buildup

What goes into a Pro Tools TDM system? from what I gather i need 2 cards; 1 core card and 1 accel card.

I also want to get the control|24 and the 96io with two of the input expansions. does anyone know a website that I can get prices and in depth info on the differences between cards and what the capabilities of each are?

i looked at some music websites and couldnt find prices on the input expansions mainly.

thanks.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
http://digidesign.com/products/hd/

This is the best source....!!
I'm not sure that the 96IO can be expanded.
The 192 can be though.

Although it is possible to run PTHD with just a core card, that's only really practical for post (because you'll not get a great deal of processing from just the core card)
An HD2 Accel is a great starting point for music.
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbashbosh
http://digidesign.com/products/hd/

This is the best source....!!
I'm not sure that the 96IO can be expanded.
The 192 can be though.

Although it is possible to run PTHD with just a core card, that's only really practical for post (because you'll not get a great deal of processing from just the core card)
An HD2 Accel is a great starting point for music.
The 96I/Os are deceiving. They have space for expansion but don't offer it. I think you can change out the type of ins and outs. (AES cards, etc.)
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh
The 96I/Os are deceiving. They have space for expansion but don't offer it. I think you can change out the type of ins and outs. (AES cards, etc.)
Sorry, yes that's what I meant..... I believe Digi never bothered releasing the expansions for the 96.

To the original poster I'd suggest that a 192 although a bit more expensive, is a better investment*.... it's a superior piece of kit over the 96, and is expandable.

*no flames re. 'investment' in PT systems..... y'all know what I mean...!
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbashbosh
I believe Digi never bothered releasing the expansions for the 96.
The 96io can be deceiving since Digi used the same chassis for this and the 192. Though it does appear at a glance to be expandable, if you were to open up a 96io you would find no actual expansion slots in there. For this reason, there is no possible way to expand the 96io.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
From what you write, there is alot left open.

Are you going to run XP or OSX?
Are you looking to run mostly TDM plugs? Or are you ok using very few TDM, and utilizing native (RTAS) for the bulk?

With XP, there are great solutions for mega-power machines that one could run a single HD Core, and have tons of native power. With PT HD7, TDM plugs are no longer "mandatory" like they used to be.

If you are looking to do primarily TDM plugs, then I would suggest an HD3 Accel at a minimum. Also, be careful- with XP, the components to build a machine to hold all 3 cards and work really well (stability and power) must be well chosen. The DUC has plenty of info there. For OSX, be careful: some machines do not have the slots to hold 'em all. Also, if you plan to work on multichannel mixes (5.1+), and/or @ 24/96k, and use ADC (delay comp), DSP chips will get eaten very quickly- HD3 Accel a MUST for those situations, unless you only plan on using a dozen or so voices.

Next, I would recommend the 192 over the 96. Simply a better quality unit.

Expansion: no unit has the possibilty of TWO expansion cards, only one. Yes, this does suck for someone wanting to do true 16in and 16out analogue. Instead, one must choose 16in, 8out; or, 8in, 16out analogue. Next option is to either add a second unit, or add 8 channels of digital via another unit.

Lastly, budget is a huge consideration, as well as intended use.
๐Ÿ“ Reply