Quantcast
AGGH!!! SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THE NEIGHBORS!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AGGH!!! SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THE NEIGHBORS!!
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
AGGH!!! SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THE NEIGHBORS!!

Okay so... I rent a 30x30 room in this old warehouse turned jam rehersal space here in Cincinnati... the guy that built the rooms did his **** REALLY half assed and I can hear bands practicing next door on 2 of the 4 walls. I have 16' Ceilings and the walls are 30 x 30 long.. most of the time I dont mind to much because i dont do ALOT of live recording.... alot of sampling and synthesizers and guitars direct and such but I'm starting to record sessions for people for demos and whatnot and really would like to quite my room.

Any Idea of what I can do on either side of the drywall or some kind of absorbers or anything? Some way to seal things better? Thanks!!! I could be ****ed in which... my lease is up in about 3 months, could always find another place I guess but I've really fallen in love with my room. PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE HELP!!!!

Mostly bass and drums comes through.. and it's as if it's being played in my damn room! THANKS!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Build a room-in-the-room with floating floor. A little searching around here will give you a hint on how. Absorbers won't do it. Bass travels in the structure!

Be well - Pär
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can share your pain

It's going to take quite a bit to stop the noise. You'll need your own AC vents, and you'll need to build a room within a room. Your best bet might be to build a "booth" big enough to stick a drum kit in (just incase), lift it off the ground with rubber floats, and use 3-4 layers of drywall on each side of the frame. Stagger your studs and keep the outside walls seperate from the inside walls. Stick a door on it, put a window and mic panel on it, and your golden...
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Well I guess the biggest bitch would be on vocals for right now which I could basicly build a super quiet VOX booth on the opposite side of the room from the noise. I'm having other probs there right now besides just the noise so I might move out anyway... I dunno. SO much **** to move out though including a 100 year old piano, wish I owned my own house and could just put all my **** in the basement and actually have something my money is going towards.... I dunno, bad sitch. I feel I'm pretty good at what I do both producing and writing music.... however I have 0 income from everything I do still... and upgrading gear and spending thousands upon thousands just isnt going to happen unless I get something going... then ontop of that thought I have a practice space that...

I was the first one on the floor... and now 7 months later, the whole floor is rented out and everyone has bands. I guess for "practicing" it serves the purpose for people.. but when you are recording and have alot of nice gear around... sucks for it to not be able to both be watched 24/7 under your own eye or even for it to be quiet when you walk inside... it's a BITCH.
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am in the exact situation, in a multi room practise space but with no lease. We just go in after hours when nobody is in there and hope for the best. We make sure the furnace is turned off, phone is unplugged in lobby and we unplug the coke machine as well to avoid the compressor kicking in while tracking something quite. Total guerilla tactics but it has worked so far. It sucks but it is all we have until we start building our own place next summer.
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out this site-

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

They have VERY comprehensive acoustics and studio design stuff on their. You can find some full details on how to best to floating rooms etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get out of there. You'll never have any peace and it's not worth building out. My opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
Get out of there. You'll never have any peace and it's not worth building out. My opinion.
Right.
I have a cabine better build than what is suggested by Randy above and it won´t help you against sub frequencies still.
For isolating against LF you need heavy investment, in the same time you would end up in a booth / too small room ...

Better find a suitable place.

... I am currently searching for a place in a really massively build house, with thick floors etc. too. Learned my lesson on this matter.

Ruphus
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…