Quantcast
NHTPro Speakers anyone? M-20's? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NHTPro Speakers anyone? M-20's?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NHTPro Speakers anyone? M-20's?

I just got NHTPro M-20 with the B-20 stereo subwoofer kit on the way to try out. I'm going to shoot them out with the S3A's and the sell the speakers that lose, or maybe keep them both if they both have a place in my room. The S3A's are super detailed in the midrange but don't exactly have the high or low end response that I want. The NHTPro's definitely will have the extended low end with the sub as I would expect. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these speakers and would like to share their findings. Thanks
Old 18th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I should have a pair here by Monday. I just ordered them last Friday and we are tracking some vox and guitars next week so I can report back. The monitors I have now are passive Yorkville YSM-1's so I have nothing really high quality to compare the M-20 with, nor the S-3. I was going to get the B-20 sub but couldn't afford it at the moment so I'll probably be hassling you for your impression on it. I am sort of in the same boat as you. Waiting.......
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
I just got NHTPro M-20 with the B-20 stereo subwoofer kit on the way to try out. I'm going to shoot them out with the S3A's and the sell the speakers that lose, or maybe keep them both if they both have a place in my room. The S3A's are super detailed in the midrange but don't exactly have the high or low end response that I want. The NHTPro's definitely will have the extended low end with the sub as I would expect. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these speakers and would like to share their findings. Thanks
I've been using the A20's for several years now, and I basically don't leave home without them. I love these speakers. The M-20 is a redesigned cabinet from what I have, but the amps are still the same. I'm not sure how different the M-20's are, but i can't imagine them being too far off from what i've got.

Take the time and experiment with the boundary and position switches. I'd also humbly suggest that you spend some time with just the M-20's , and then add the subwoofer once you've gotten a bit used to the M-20's by themselves.

Funny, I found the S3's quite soft in the midrange. I felt like I had to crank things up to hear the detail.

Speakers. Just goes to show you...

Good luck with the NHT's...

John
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I use the M-00s and a S-00. I love them. Very detailed. Good mids, lows and well defined, non screetchy highs. Translate very well for me.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alright, I got the M20's with the B-20 sub kit. Unfortunately the sub amp was busted (left output doesn't work). But NHT was very kind and are mailing me a new one monday. Even just with one sub working, they sound fuking unbelievable. I use Adam S3A's and these things are still amazing. I'm not sure if I should keep the adams or just keep both. Next on the list is to hook up the subs to the Adam's.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: NHT Pro monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
I've been using A-20's for over two years now...absolutely love them! I bought them to replace my Genelecs that I repeatively mix vocals too high on, kept both for about a month, then sold the Genelecs. I have updated the original single 2-ch power amp to the two separate ones that the B20's now use, didn't notice any change in overall sound. NHT Pro tells me that apart from change in cabinet shape the B-20's share the same drivers as the A20's.
Great customer sevrvice from NHT Pro BTW.
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think you mean M-20's as the B-20 is the stereo subwoofer kit. But yeah, the M-20's have the same woofer and tweeter as the A-20's.
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have a A20's /B20's Setup. I absolutely love the combination. I actually would like if the B20's were louder.... could be my room. but as far as system detail, i have never heard better. ok I have heard soffit mounts that have better imaging....but hey... there is a little difference in price.

Since I am mostly ITB, I took my desk away and now sit on a low couch in front of my speakers. I have my B-20s, then on top of them is about a foot tall box full of magazines, and then the A-20s. The subs integrate perfectly... It sounds huge.... and PUNCHY.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
I should have a pair here by Monday. I just ordered them last Friday and we are tracking some vox and guitars next week so I can report back. The monitors I have now are passive Yorkville YSM-1's so I have nothing really high quality to compare the M-20 with, nor the S-3. I was going to get the B-20 sub but couldn't afford it at the moment so I'll probably be hassling you for your impression on it. I am sort of in the same boat as you. Waiting.......
Just got mine at lunchtime today, which is strange since UPS actually came by when I was at home. That is a good sign so far. First impression is build quality is first rate and the power amps are heavy which is a good sign. I won't be able to try them out untill tomorrow so I'll report back once I run something through them.
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here is an update for any one interested. I gave them a whirl last night and put up some past material I have been working on and the M-20 speakers are revealing some nuances thet I did not notice before while using the Yorkville YSM-1 monitors and a brief stint with a KRK V-8.

I could hear the bass players fingers sliding accross the strings quite clearly in some soloed bass parts and before I could barely make them out. These are definitely not as cloudy as the Yorkvilles and as tubby as the V-8's.

The M-20 has a nice low end to it, pretty decent for a 6" driver. I assume once the speakers break in and I get used to them I will grow even more fond of them. The kind of remind me of my B&W CDM-1 home speakers a bit.

This is all I have for now so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but if any of you have the chance to check these out, definitely give them a listen. NHT was a pleasure to deal with as well.
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The B-20 stereo sub kit is amazing. I never knew there was that much low end material I had not heard previously. My S3A's are getting dusty in the corner of my room... Once the Tonelux arrives I'll hook them back up and see if they still serve a purpose.
πŸ“ Reply