Quantcast
Is Avalon products sub par? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Avalon products sub par?
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Wev'e got some at the studio I teach from. Two 737's. Really like them. Good and clean for a tube amp. Sometimes it gets picked over the Manley Voxbox, and the Neve's. Just depends.

Matt Meli
https://trcoa.com/
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have to give some love to the VT-737sp here. I've owned one for about 10 years and I use it for vox, bass guitar, acoustic guitar and drum overheads. It has great clarity and a cleanness that I really like, whether recording the whole band or doing solo projects. I love the vintage look, too. I paid around US $1900 for it new. Worth every penny.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I always thought they looked better than they sounded.
Old 20th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very solid and functional, but pretty vanilla.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AD2022 (M5) is one of the best sounding high end pres around.
The AD series is completely different than the 7xx series.
Old 13th October 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles ➡️
The 2077 is a bit boring though it has it's uses the very low bass is very focused and 17K and above shelf with PD has a nice sound at times. You can hear that on quite few records once you know it so good people are out there using it.
Neil, I've been trying to hear what the 2077 actually sounds like since forever - not convinced that if I ordered it from any of the dealers I would even get a demo period option to return it if it turned out I didn't like it; would you mind listing a track or some that uses it?
Old 14th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanluc00007 ➡️
Neil, I've been trying to hear what the 2077 actually sounds like since forever - not convinced that if I ordered it from any of the dealers I would even get a demo period option to return it if it turned out I didn't like it; would you mind listing a track or some that uses it?
PM me a link to one of your tracks to download and I'll add that 17.7K Pd shelf to it and use the other 3 bands

If you then get it you get it? You get me tho? ;-) You'll either go "Ahhh yeah I've heard that before" or you wont.

In all honesty I would take a GML8200 and a Massive Passive in combo about the same price over a 2077 and I mostly do .......+ a Sontec :-)

I do use it from time to time though. 2077 very clean very technical very well made a bit ...boring TBH

Cheers
Old 9th May 2021
Here for the gear
The thing about Avalon is it’s beautiful. And when you got your hands on it nothing feels or looks cheap. So ya it was very popular.

In my opinion Avalon doesn’t come out with new products so they aren’t the latest and greatest. They are just building there stuff. Very consistently and solid I must add.
A lot of us have used it then moved on to the next piece of gear that gets us excited.

It’s very exciting ordering a new piece of gear.

To say Avalon sucks I‘ve have had my 737 for 13 years, still working great!
I’ve read about gear on gearslutz that everyone wants having problems within the first couple years.
Just like everything if you can find it for a good price grab it. I’m hoping someone reads these threads and wants to sell me theirs for cheap.

Best part is they are very solidly built So don’t buy one new. You can find one in great shape used.
Warren Huart Said he recorded the vocals on the fray album with the 737.

Sweetwater $3145. Glad I got one when I did.
Old 9th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a pair of 737's. They were great at controlling shrill things like horns, screaming vocals, or a snare drum. That's it's best quality. The highs on the EQ are nice, but the lows are not as nice as they should be and the compressor is meh for controls.

But just running the signal through the unit does some containment where the signal needs less compression down the line.
📝 Reply