Quantcast
One more API500 thread, please help me choose! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One more API500 thread, please help me choose!
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
One more API500 thread, please help me choose!

Hi sluts! Great forum...the times are getting dangerous for me after finding gearslutz, I'm already quite a slut with these things :-).

I've been reading a million posts about thse API 500 series preamps and lunchboxes and am now sure I have to get some for myself. I do mostly hard rock and metal but also record acoustic instruments like Tabla, Sitar, acoustic guitar etc. I'm mostly after a big and punchy sound for my records (yes, I know the preamps are just a part of it but let's now concentrate on that part).

Can somebody recommend a "dreamrack" for me? A 11-slot rack full of preamps that would suit my needs. All the pres don't have to be "the same colour".

From reading the posts I have found that API 512Cs have fast transients and they are somehow "aggressive"...Are these the best choise for slammin' metal drums? On drums I'm looking for a big "american" sound like Nickelback has on their albums. What's the best choise for modern high gain guitars, Rectifiers, Peavey 5150 etc? Vocals? Everything else ? Any help is really appreciated here.

I already own:
- Neve Portico 5012
- SPL Gainstation 1
- Audient ASP8000

I also sometimes have access to Trident S80 console. Anyone know how does it compare to APIs, BAEs, OSAs etc ?

Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed a million times, I've really used the search option a lot with this !

-- Mikko
Old 16th May 2006

🎧 15 years
I'm a 512 fan... They are classics on drums, and will give you a great forward sounding character. They also work well on guitars. I also like the A Designs P1 if you are looking for a brighter sounding preamp. The BAE stuff is cool, too.

Maybe 4 x API 512's, 4 x A Designs P1's, and 1 x EM-Red, 1 x EM-Blue, and 1 x EM-Silver.

or maybe 6 x 512's, 2 x P1's, and 1 x EM-Red, 1 x EM-Blue, and 1 x EM-Silver.

That's 11!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane
Can somebody recommend a "dreamrack" for me? A 11-slot rack full of preamps that would suit my needs. All the pres don't have to be "the same colour".
well, here's my rack, and thus my "dream rack" recommendation to you:

left to right...
OSA MP1-L3, OSA MP1-L, 2x OSA MP1-C, 2x A-Designs P1, A-Designs EM-Red, A-Designs EM-Silver, Purple Biz, Shadow Hills Mono Gama, API 512C

and there's not a source i can't get a great sound from with that variation

--for big bottom, MP1-L3/EM-Silver
--for smooth top, round sound, MP1-L, P1's, Biz, Gama (though all are different, different depth, different mid ranges, etc.)
--for mids that cut through, EM-Red, 512C, MP1-C's (high end on all of these pre's is different as well)

add to that the tonal variations that can be had from using different gain settings (or dual mode on the Biz... wow!) and its a shop full of colors to paint with.

About the only pre outside of this rack that gets used because none of these modules can replicate it is the Phoenix DRS, though the P1s come close in some ways.
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have a hodge podge of Purple, OSA, A Designs and API. My "dream" rack of pres would be 9 bizzes and 2 P-1's.

But that's just me.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
biz biz biz biz biz- sold most of my bae w/ the original api opamps cause the biz SHMOKE em, imho. 512 is great too, but the biz just rocks it. on guitars in is unstopable- on both agnostic and eclectric git. enjoy- pram
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get yourself a 6-space API lunch-rack with a pair of the Purple Biz pres, four 512C (for your slammin' drums), and then get a Chandler Germanium, a Great River MP-2NV, and something tooob, like a TAB V78, or maybe, hmm, a nice Fearn or Pendum or Thermionic thingy.

Damn, that's the dream rack I wish I HAD!

Still dreamin...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramrod
biz biz biz biz biz- sold most of my bae w/ the original api opamps cause the biz SHMOKE em, imho. 512 is great too, but the biz just rocks it. on guitars in is unstopable- on both agnostic and eclectric git. enjoy- pram
I gotta get me some o' them agnostic guitars myself, mine just keep preachin BS.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All good recommendations...check out the A-designs stuff, the P1 is Punch City!! OSA's are good too...same with Shadow Hills mono Gama....I want a Purple

sdf
πŸ“ Reply