Quantcast
Api 550b Punchy Snare and Kicks - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Api 550b Punchy Snare and Kicks
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Api 550b Punchy Snare and Kicks

Just bought a new 550b and loving it!! I want to make my kick and snare drums punchy. Fellows what are some great settings using the Api 550b.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm going to buy some API EQ's soon, too. How did you decide between the 550b and the 550a? A lot of people seem to prefer the 550a, but I've read that the 550b has more modern "authority" I think it was... which is I think what I'm looking for to pump up my drums, too. Have you tried the 550a as well?
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
No I haven't heard the 550a. My purchase was based on economics. I feel just to have any api eq was worth the buy just read the forum about people who have the 550b most are just as happy.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevusmusic
Just bought a new 550b and loving it!! I want to make my kick and snare drums punchy. Fellows what are some great settings using the Api 550b.
Really depends on the source. For most kicks, I usually leave the lowest band flat at 100 or 50 and suck out all the mids on the next 2 bands. I play around with the top around 6k for the attack. Usually have a killer kick sound in just a minute or two. But, I find the most impact is made by driving my BAE 312 hard prior to the 550b. Always use your ears though! heh
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+2 or 4dB @ 3K on the high mid knob is pretty much unrivalled for me in terms of making a dull snare drum smack like there's no tomorrow (with compression of course). If APIs somewhow had 1 dB increments instead of 2-3 dB incremements, I'd be in EQ heaven. I know that there are mastering units out there with these steps but when was the last time you saw a pair of them, and in groups of more than 2?

FWIW, I like the high end on the 550A a bit better. The EQ just seems a little sweeter to me, even at maximum boost/attenuation. But the 550b's extra band makes it pretty friggin awesome. Great that you can take out 12 dB on a mid frequency and not have the "hole ripped in your sound" thing happening. Definitely not my favorite on vocals, but rockin on drums, guitars. Not my first choice when it comes to adding thickness to the sound (You need some big ole transformer units) but great for keeping things aggressive, yet controlled. The 6 dB insertion loss can take some getting used to, but can actually be kinda cool if you like to push your preamps a little bit. Also gives you a little more headroom in terms of boosting stuff. It's hard to clip these guys. Solid unitsm especially for $1k per channel.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
How do you eq the 808 drum?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevusmusic
How do you eq the 808 drum?
What kind of music are you mixing? Sometimes for rock I'll lay an 808 under the original kick for more low end without any EQ.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Rap and R&B
πŸ“ Reply