Quantcast
ALL Genelecs awesome? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ALL Genelecs awesome?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ALL Genelecs awesome?

I just want some nearfields for mixing with my mbox2. I was considering m-audio's bx8a but sometimes I have seen genelecs sell for 300-700 USD on various sites. Would any model genelec kick Yahama or M-audio's nearfield's butt around the block?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Genelec 8000 series monitors are great. They are a far cry better then the M-Audio's and the newer Yamaha's. Honestly, they are not even in the same league.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777
Would any model genelec kick Yahama or M-audio's nearfield's butt around the block?
yes.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WHAT about the 2029B's? Are these lower end series better still better than the bx8a's ??? What is a fair price to buy these?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
where is a cheaper price or tip to buy new genelecs ( EBAY is more expensive than most online stores)???
Is there really much difference between the 8020a, 8030a (or the 8030a an the 8040a?
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is there really much difference between the 8020a, 8030a (or the 8030a an the 8040a?
They actually sound remarkably consistent from one to the other in that series...you get more low end as you go up in size as you'd expect and more power as well, quality-wise I'd say they're all on par with each other.

-Duardo
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you can muster the cash for the 8040's it's definitely worth it.

As well as the bass extension, I notice it in the definition of the mids. Especially mixing vox - you can really slot them into the pocket with ease on the 8040's. The 8030's would be great as well though.

Top monitors should be your number 1 priority. They change everything.

I don't know about prices for you living in Taiwan, but try www.thomann.de and call them. They have great international service (I live in Australia), and they will spend time arranging cheaper shipping for you if you ask them to. Remember, their prices include taxes which you won't pay, though you'll have to calculate your import taxes as well. Definitely buy from Europe as opposed to the U.S. Genelecs are expensive in the States!

Rez
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My understanding about any Genelec monitors is, that they sound very...hmm...let's say they have a very characteristic sound (though as have all monitors) and it really takes some time to get used to them and not fxxk up your mixes. They make everything sound great and big and then you get out of the studio and the song doesn't sound like it did in studio anymore... But they are quite popular...
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What do people think of the event asp8's, I'm considering either these or genelec 8030 or 40's, how would you guys compare these?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee
My understanding about any Genelec monitors is, that they sound very...hmm...let's say they have a very characteristic sound (though as have all monitors) and it really takes some time to get used to them and not fxxk up your mixes. They make everything sound great and big and then you get out of the studio and the song doesn't sound like it did in studio anymore... But they are quite popular...
You're statement is mostly correct. Genelecs, with the exception of the 8000 series, do have a characteristic sound that is consistant throughout the range. I for one, am not a fan of the older 1000 series. To me, everything that was wrong with Genelecs, was fixed with the 8000 series. In other words, the 8000 series don't really sound like the rest of Genelecs monitors.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
What do people think of the event asp8's, I'm considering either these or genelec 8030 or 40's, how would you guys compare these?

Event ASP8's are quite highly appreciated in that price range...go read Paul Whites review on sound on sound http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...cles/event.htm ...He raves about the ASP8's.
Old 3rd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so if money were no object, and you set on buying Genelecs, which would you consider: the 8030a, 8040a or the 8050a?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
so if money were no object, and you set on buying Genelecs, which would you consider: the 8030a, 8040a or the 8050a?
The 8200 DSP Series!!!

Just kiddin, although worth a look. I would still go for the standard analogue 8000 series though.

If ure set on the new Genelecs, and money is no issue...you really need to consider your room size and buy accordingly.

No use having a pair of 8050's in a small box room stuck against some corners...room room room.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Giving that I recently was asked to upgrade not one but *three* set of 8030s to 8040s, don't settle for less than the 8040s, and go larger if you have a larger room. I bought Dynaudio BM5s myself to replace my Genelec 1029s... I'm disenchanted with the Gennies these days. I found the 1029s accurate above 200Hz...and thats not enough IMHO.

Jim
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow, anyone else here vote for dynaudio over the very popular Gen's? Dynaudio's are cheaper too!
Old 4th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Genelec

Go to the Genelec Demo at AES and you'll hear why ...
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where this Genelec bashing originating from ??
They are speakers, just like others.
No way one can walk into an unknown room with never before used speakers and mix up a storm..
I've used 1031's for six years. Hated them first..and only after getting used to them my mixes took on the quality that I was so accustomed to previously. Had Tannoys and Meyer HD1's before.
Now I have the 1030's. Again..couldn't get the feel for them for a while in a new room.
IMO, there is a "learning curve" for all speakers.. And I mean all quality speakers. Wouldn't call the Genelecs crap..by any means.

>just a personal view<
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
dynaudio all the way...gens are popular..and they hurt my ears.. maybe just me. DYNAS ARE great..or im mute.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
wow, anyone else here vote for dynaudio over the very popular Gen's? Dynaudio's are cheaper too!
As many votes as I can contribute. Dynaudios all the way. I used to work at a studio where they had Genelec 1030A's, hated those things. They made everything sounds so shrill and glossy, yuk. I know they have many models but the day I heard the Dyn BM6A's I became an instant fan. That is only my opinion and it's all rather subjective, but I think you cannot go wrong with Dynaudio BM5A, BM6A, BM15A, depending on the size of your room.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All those comparing the older Genelec's to the newer Dynaudio's need to know it's not a fair comparison. The newer 8000 Genelec's are well more advanced and better sounding the older 1000 series.

The 1029a is good monitor but I found it overpriced for what you got.

I have the 8050A's. These things are ****ing killer. You have George Massenburg himself using these. Can there be any better endorsement? I belive, also, BOB KATZ has excellent things to say regarding the 8000 series as well.

The 8000 series have a much smoother top end over the 1000 series.

I adore my 8050a's.
Paul Blenn.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We've got 1031s on the desk (along with the usual NS10s) and M3As as the main monitors. I love the dynaudios, but they always sound as if I'm wearing a dozen woolley hats, after the Genelecs. I don't really know the smaller ones though.

I always thought that the little 1029s were a little poor and that the 1030s were superb; my favourite model by far.

I don't mean to throw a spannner in your works (or go off topic), but I'm swapping to geithains; they've blown me head off...
Old 8th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I finally heard a pair of GENELECS in action and Believe or not, here in TAIWAN where I am currently working. The Gen's were the 1030 ( box style) and I was impressed! Now that I have a reference, how do the 80x0 compare ?????
Again, do the 8020, 8030, 8040, and 8050 all compare in the same quality or differening in bass and output?? Does anyone know?

thanks
Old 8th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Again, do the 8020, 8030, 8040, and 8050 all compare in the same quality or differening in bass and output?? Does anyone know?

thanks
The whole series sounds remarkably similar to each other. You just get louder and lower as you move up. Do they all sound identical from say 65 hz and up... no, but there is a VERY close similarity.
Old 9th June 2006 | Show parent
should change the topic to "are any genelecs usable?"

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have never been a big fan of Genelecs but have used 1029 and 1030 happily enough- the 1031 I couldn't get on with much and the big ones were- well - big monitors! The 8000 series is TOTALLY different- having used several sets of these now as a second set I can put my hand on my heart and say they are awfull. I would not even wish these things in my sitting room let alone my mix room- totally coloured and untrue.

Just my 2pence.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I went with Genelec mostly because the company that designed my studio recomended them. They are probably the flatest and uncolored monitor I have ever used. After spending thousands of dollors on my room and the design these are the only speakers I can trust. Plus on top of it Genelec USA has given me the best service possible I had to replace a driver after 5 years of hard daily use and got the replacement so fast I could not believe it. Top notch monitors and service, thanks Daniel Curran (Genelec USA Service).
Old 19th June 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I went with Genelec mostly because the company that designed my studio recomended them. They are probably the flatest and uncolored monitor I have ever used.
well... all I can say is that I've heard the Bx8a, and they are definitly more flat and uncolored than any genelec monitors I've ever seen. also, their price is awesome, but any professional grade monitors are good when you know them. so, for me, genelec is as good as the bx8a. (I'm buying the bx8a)

cheers
Old 20th September 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Before I get into this, I listened to some nearfields tonight and while the 50 watt was not that loud, I realized that I am going to have my future nearfields on my new bi-leveled desk and the speakers won't probably be much more than 1 meter (most likely less) from my usual sitting distance. So I wondering, you who also have nearfields, do you also have them close as I will? If so, should I only get a 50 watt pair, or should I get the 100 watters ( my room is large 22 X14feet, with some soundproofing panel on the walls). I know most people on advocated the 100 watters, but are these people really listening to the 100 watters from 1 meter away??!! Or when you 100 watt -owners are REALLY ready to check out the final mix -then simply backing up and listening? I was suprised how big the 100 watters are! I know a little about speakers in general and I am guess that you would need to at least turn up a 100 watt nearfield to really have it start performing well.

Anyway, I just heard the yahama hs50m and MUCH bigger hs80m. I have
to say that they were not are dazzling as the Genelec 8030 or 8040 ,but they definitely sounded nice for price. In fact, I am having a hard time believing that the M-Audio Bx8a's would sound any better - oh, btw would anyone actually have compare these two?
Initially I was set on Genelecs, then recently Dynaudio, but after hearing supposed El-cheapos and I wasn't THAT disappointed! Am I nutz?

I guess the biggest problem I am facing, is having to choose the 50watt or the 100's. Then prbably, the prices will weigh-in making it easier or arder to decide. Adam's will remain a dream... So what wattage do you guys recommend? Is it common to have huge 100 watters close as 1 meter away, only turning them midway occasionally.... or more common with the 1/3 of the size, 50 watters? Last, will the phantom imaging vector of the 100 watters, lie much further beyond that of the 50watters?

Thanks to those, who can or might shed some light on this for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 ➑️
I finally heard a pair of GENELECS in action and Believe or not, here in TAIWAN where I am currently working. The Gen's were the 1030 ( box style) and I was impressed! Now that I have a reference, how do the 80x0 compare ?????

thanks
Loooooooove my 1030's! I mean, come on, they DO have a treble tilt switch on the back so if some of you guys find then "top-heavy" or something, just adjust there.

The thing my 1030's give me is a very accurate picture with a little shmaltz for the client IF and WHEN needed. Otherwise they can be flattened and neutral.

The 1030's seem to have better lows (due to the vented ports I guess) over the 8020 and probably because of size too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➑️
I went with Genelec mostly because the company that designed my studio recomended them. They are probably the flatest and uncolored monitor I have ever used. After spending thousands of dollors on my room and the design these are the only speakers I can trust. Plus on top of it Genelec USA has given me the best service possible I had to replace a driver after 5 years of hard daily use and got the replacement so fast I could not believe it. Top notch monitors and service, thanks Daniel Curran (Genelec USA Service).
Word.
πŸ“ Reply