Quantcast
Here's a rough sketch of my tonelux console - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Here's a rough sketch of my tonelux console
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a rough sketch of my tonelux console

Here's a rough sketch of my Tonelux console except I think I need another rack just for the stupid ass TB1, so I might add 4 more EQ's and with a bunch of blank panels.

32 MX2 Input Modules
12 EQ4P EQ'sm(4 not pictured)
4 FX2+'s for 4 aux master sends and 8 returns
SM2 Summing Buss Module
CR2 Control Room Monitor Module
TB1 Talkback module (not pictured)
8 TR8+'s 8-Ch Buss Assign Module w/Summing Buss
8 TR8's 8-Ch Buss Assign Module
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Super cool!
Are you gonna do some faders too?
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Haha I want to. I don't think I can afford them yet. Are the faders easy to setup with the DAW? I use nuendo and don't know much about how they work yet.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
I use nuendo and don't know much about how they work yet.
Thats probably a Paul question
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
can you (accurately) call something a 'console' if it sits in a rack? the interior designer in me say no, that's a mixer.

how's that for spotting the important issues?

gregoire
del ubik
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a question--perhaps a stupid one--why all the bus assign modules if no mic pres?

-wolfie
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
sweet!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
and you don't want any "Mallorca_Box"? heh

https://gearspace.com/board/showthre...307#post718307
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound
I have a question--perhaps a stupid one--why all the bus assign modules if no mic pres?

-wolfie
For FX.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have mic pre's already that I can go out of and into the tonelux if I need to say buss top and bottom tom mics each tom on its own buss but with both mics coming out of one output to save tracks in the DAW. Or grouping guitar mics for the same purpose, or making a submix of drums and squashing them. STuff like that.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have mic pre's already that I can go out of and into the tonelux if I need to say buss top and bottom tom mics each tom on its own buss but with both mics coming out of one output to save tracks in the DAW. Or grouping guitar mics for the same purpose, or making a submix of drums and squashing them. STuff like that.
Cool, so are you gonna have your mic pres hooked up to say the first 16 channels w/ bus assign, and then the other 16 for monitoring returs? Sounds like a sweet setup!

Do you know if those bus masters can be routed internally to the mix bus (like for grouping), or do you have to patch them back into an input module?
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd assume you'd have to patch them to an input module. And now I won't be using the 32 for monitoring... althought I guess I could... sounds interesting... anyhow I just plan on feeding the other 16 when mixing so i have a full 32 inputs on mixdown, don't need 32 mic pres, thats just silly.
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sweet idea.

Personally I'd want an eq for every input i had coming into it but thats just because i want one to have the layout of a console

I'm still curious to hear a shootout between these new pres and some thing like some vintage neves, some apis, and ssl or avalon. I got to come by the demo that ryan did during the RHCP mixing and hear the eqs. They sound great, just like the album sounds great and i know he was doing a lot of eqing through his 8 rack eqs. Not sure if he said he tracked the drums through the tonelux pres or not.

I can't wait to have the cash to build my own tonelux setup. A great front end into protools with atleast 8 pres to start, and then a summing buss for the mixdown.
Not sure what it'l cost me to get that whole project started but i know it'l sound amazing in the end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I have other outboard EQ so just 8 of theirs is all I need since all my other outboard gear will be hooked up to the patchbay and all in the Sterling Modular Plan B, so it will still look like an interesting frankinstein console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
can you (accurately) call something a 'console' if it sits in a rack? the interior designer in me say no, that's a mixer.
so build a desk for it with rack rails.

big whoop.

🎧 15 years
And what is the price tag for this setup?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cables, sterling modular plan b, and the rest comes to a little under $50K.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow. still cheaper then going any other "console" route and you don't have to worry as much about the upkeep, repairs, and heavy use of air conditioning that you would with an ssl,amek, or neve i imagine.

the eqs are the most expensivve thing on there right? a grand a pop i think...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
exactly, plus I can add motorized faders, VU meters, and more channels and auxs in the future as I can afford it/need it. Seems like the best thing around when it comes to being able to add things later vs. sound quality.
Lives for gear

Quote:
exactly, plus I can add motorized faders, VU meters, and more channels and auxs in the future as I can afford it/need it. Seems like the best thing around when it comes to being able to add things later vs. sound quality.

Yep but I am not independently wealthy so I am starting with just a VRack, one FX2, one CR2 and one SM2.... Wish I were rich.

LOL

Anyway the great point about this is I can build more later. From what I hear there might be some announcements soon about more companies jumping on board the VRack platform as well to offer more products. That has me VERY interested.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Wish I were rich.

LOL
me two!
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i want to know where the distressor mini racks are? i haven't heard any talk about them since the last demo i was at...hopefully its still in the works. I know dakings on board for eqs and some other module. how badass would that be to have the tonelux preamp and eq with a row of mini destressor modules as your compressor channels inbetween!?!
πŸ“ Reply