Quantcast
Help Needed - 002 w/Rossetta 800 or PT HD? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help Needed - 002 w/Rossetta 800 or PT HD?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Help Needed - 002 w/Rossetta 800 or PT HD?

Hey guys,

Just a quick question - Just looking into doing some vox / guitar / percussion over dub recording for some up coming projects and on one of these the plan is to go to a remote location for a couple of weeks to get space and a vibe etc.

Now given the nature of these projects - the bedtracks will have been done on 2" and PT HD.

Now my question is what difference or loss of quality would there be (if any) if I was to track thru a Rossetta 800 thru lightpipe on a 002 as oppossed to taking an HD rig and using the standard digi interface?

Bear in mind this is for tracking only - the 002 + rossetta is wayyyyy cheaper than forking our for HD and if there is no loss of quality - then why not?

All the front end is High end API - LA2A - MC77 etc

Cheers!

Tha Doc.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Actually, you might prefer the sound of the Rosetta 800 over the Digi 192. I definitely do, and most others seem to agree. In your case, if you're just tracking, the Rosetta/002 combo would be pretty great.
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an 002 and Rosetta 800. Your only limitation is that you cannot track above 48k through lightpipe. Personally, I don't have any problem with that, so it was a no-brainer for me. The Rosetta set-up is very easy and it works great... and considering the 002 is a 2u and the rosetta is 1u... its about as portable as it gets.
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
I have an 002 and Rosetta 800. Your only limitation is that you cannot track above 48k through lightpipe.
From what I understand that's not true. You can track above 48k through the lightpipe, but you only get 4 ins/outs. You definitely don't get a full eight. But, then again, I could be wrong. If you create a 96k file check your inputs...you'll see that you only get optical 1 thru 4.

I use the Rosetta 800 w/ my 002Rack and I'm going through the same dilemma right now. My major issue, though, is voices. With LE you're limited to 32 voices. If I upgrade to HD I'll get 64 at least. In terms of sound quality, though, the 800 is clearly miles above the 002 converters.

I say if you can afford it go HD.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
So let me see if I get this right. You can use a Rosetta 800 as your converter and lightpipe it 48k to your 002 and of course you don't need the apogee firewire card, correct?

I need more advice also..see thread below

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=70777

Not one to hijack zee thread.
Old 16th May 2006

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Roundmenge
Bear in mind this is for tracking only - the 002 + rossetta is wayyyyy cheaper than forking our for HD and if there is no loss of quality - then why not?
In this case, I wouldn't even consider going with HD.. You obvioously won't need the additional processing power. Sound quality is going to be different. Not knowing which Digi interface is being used at the other studio, it's tough to say better or worse. I would say there is the possibility it will sound slightly better/worse. But, not enough of a difference that you would notice a difference in the context of a song.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
countless songs get tracks with the combo you are looking into. I know a few cats still using the 001/Rosetta 800 combo.
also 7.0 has been giving a bit of improvement. and native power is only getting faster with the new dual & quad processors

and don't forgot the Music Production Toolkit (should have been free) with gives you 48 stereo or mono audio tracks(supposedly 96 voices )

if it doesn't work out.....you can still sell the 002, kept the Rosetta 800 and get an HD1 or 2 with and Apogee HD card.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
if it doesn't work out.....you came still sold the 002, kept the Rosetta 800 and get an HD1 or 2 with and Apogee HD card.

came still sold?

Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox
came still sold?

Come on give the man a break he lives in New Orleans and Dallas. He's just getting his dialects cornfused .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mannnnnnnnn i'm typing and watching this dam game...LOLheh fixed

u know what i mean
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
From what I understand that's not true. You can track above 48k through the lightpipe, but you only get 4 ins/outs. You definitely don't get a full eight. But, then again, I could be wrong. If you create a 96k file check your inputs...you'll see that you only get optical 1 thru 4.
No. On the 002 and 002Rack, the ADAT i/o is completely disabled above 48k. It becomes a ten-channel i/o system (eight analog plus two S/PDIF).

What you describe should work, however, on an M-Audio Firewire 1814 running Pro Tools M-Powered.

JSL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Working with PT LE you have the problem of latency while recording. itΒ΄s dependant on the buffer size so you may need a splitter and a auxiliary desk or headphone amp that allows you direct monitoring. Tracking vocals with a BS of 128samples sounds phasey to me when iΒ΄m singing so even with the lowest BS I need direct monitoring. For other instruments you can work with 128.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
Working with PT LE you have the problem of latency while recording. itΒ΄s dependant on the buffer size so you may need a splitter and a auxiliary desk or headphone amp that allows you direct monitoring. Tracking vocals with a BS of 128samples sounds phasey to me when iΒ΄m singing so even with the lowest BS I need direct monitoring. For other instruments you can work with 128.
good point. heh you could also try muting the returned signal.

With a faster computer you can use 64. Although I've never had many artists that couldn't record at the 128 setting.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin
No. On the 002 and 002Rack, the ADAT i/o is completely disabled above 48k. It becomes a ten-channel i/o system (eight analog plus two S/PDIF).

What you describe should work, however, on an M-Audio Firewire 1814 running Pro Tools M-Powered.

JSL
Man, I could have sworn I did it once. Just started a session at 96k and noticed my clock source would only give me internal and S/PDIF.

Like I said, I could be wrong. And was.

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
Man, I could have sworn I did it once. Just started a session at 96k and noticed my clock source would only give me internal and S/PDIF.

Like I said, I could be wrong. And was.

Thanks!
have you upgraded software recently? could it have worked with a previous version? Might have been a "Good" bug.heh
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the help! 64 sample buffer size is no problem here - been using it w/ no prob from a tracking perspective - really the software limitations are not the issue - rather the flat out sonic quality difference - the fact that LE will not go above 48 bit w/- the rosetta is a small concern - and may box me into a corner if the rest of the stuff is tracked at a higher sample rate.

Outside of that I am really trying to get a A/B comparrison of the sonics between using a rosseta 800 w/002 or the 192 HD (lets say both are running 24 bit/44.1) to determine if there is any significant sonic advantage to running the 192.

It seems from all the responses so far that outside of the software / ease of use that HD affords (which is significant - Granted!) that the sound quality and resolution are of a similar standard or at least too close to call (unless yr into yr high sample rates!)

Has anyone out there put this stuff back to back?

Thanks again for the help!

Doc
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin

JSL
I have the same set up, rosetta 800 and 002. I have not tried it yet, but I was told that you can't run the ADAT/lightpipe at the same time as the S/PDIF. One or the other.

I hope I am wrong, I'm new to this and still asking many, many questions.
Please let me know.
Many thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes you can run both adat and spdif simultaneously on the 002. BUT you'll be limited to 48k. You can run spdif at higher sample rates, but not adat.

So the bottom line with PTLE is:

18 channels at 48k (8 optical, 2 spdif, and 8 digi) or 10 channels at 96k (2 spdif and 8 digi).

As far as sound quality between Apogee or HD...no winner IMO, if anything the edge would go to Apogee. IE, your not going to get better sound from the HD - just better convenience.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
kats has it right.

I also used to think you couldn't use S/PDIF and 8-channel optical at the same time, but I was corrected about that. It is true for the HD interfaces, which only support 16 simultaneous inputs, but not for the 002, which supports 18.

nukmusic, I don't think this could have been a "good bug." 96K is not a standard part of the ADAT optical specification, it's an additional spec called S/MUX, which I'm pretty sure is a hardware-based capability. There is no reason to think the 002 hardware could ever handle S/MUX.

As for the latency issue, this forces me to bring up one of my favorite devices, the Metric-Halo ULN-2. Although this is a standalone Firewire interface (and great two-channel pre and very nice AD/DA and monitor controller and headphone amp), it actually makes a terrific companion piece to a Pro Tools LE system. Consider:
  • Provides improved two-channel ADC, DAC and master clock.
  • Adds two terrific preamps to the system.
  • Expands stock analog i/o by two channels, in and out.
  • Provides a better headphone amp.
  • Makes a terrific Core Audio interface, eliminating the need to install horrendous Digidesign Core Audio drivers.
  • ... and add to the list ... provides great zero-latency monitoring for up to two channels of overdubbing.

I'm not saying that a ULN-2 adds as much pure quality to a Pro Tools system as an eight-channel Rosetta. But it adds a hell of a lot of quality and functionality, and I picked one up used for $700. Amazing value. And with a little practice, it should solve your latency problems, too.

JSL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ahhhhh, so much to learn....so much to learn!

Many thanks!!!!!!
πŸ“ Reply