Quantcast
TLM49 First Impressions - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TLM49 First Impressions
Old 12th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I agree that I hear a certain richness with the mic that is typial Neumann sound which I like. Would you all agree the TLM49 has a better top end over the TLM 103 and TLM 127?
Old 13th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the top end better on the 49 over the 103.
Old 13th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Top end is more "natural"...as in, it doesn't sound "hyped"....don't you hate the buzzwords !

I've used it mostly on tenor voices (which I am also) and get good to great results, depending on whether the singer is good or great (pre is a Pacifica 95% of the time).

BW
Old 15th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I been looking on ebay and here. You can't find this mic used.. It actually must be a pretty good mic.
Old 15th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The more I use it the more I really like this mic. It sounds really good on male vox and acoustic guitars. It takes eq pretty well too...
Old 25th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone try this mic with rappers?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound ➡️
The more I use it the more I really like this mic. It sounds really good on male vox and acoustic guitars. It takes eq pretty well too...
Interesting comment Watersound. Looking at the frequency plot, it looks quite talyored with not as much scope for EQ as other more 'netural' mics. Looking forward to getting mine.Will report me findings here.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i bought one, i bought into all the 'hype' here!!!

anyways, it's nice mic and sounds really good though it seems to accentuate some freq that are irritating in the vocalist i'm recording and it didn't work too well with my LA610 but partnered with my Onyx 800r it was great though the irritating freq were still there, they should be easy enough to tame with the waves C4 (that plug rocks) and sounds very natural and clear; pristine in fact! i love the Onyx though it's very sweet and clear and suits the TLM49 well i think
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got one few days ago, i used it threw an avalon m5 into a 737 with the gain on the 737 turned up a little and added a little on the upper freq on the 737 eq, than went into a dbx160a for peak limiting. I think the mic sounds excellent for a mic in the $1250 price range. I'm very happy with it. I have the mic slightly aimed downed looking at the ground, so my voice is'nt going directly into the capsule.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl ➡️
Interesting comment Watersound. Looking at the frequency plot, it looks quite talyored with not as much scope for EQ as other more 'netural' mics. Looking forward to getting mine.Will report me findings here.
I haven't seen the charts, but for my vocals this mic is very well suited. I wouldn't categorize it as big and warm sounding, it's clearer with more detail so for murky/muddy voices like mine it's perfect. It works well IMO on acoustics too because it's not as prone to being boomy. But as with many mics it has a nice proximity effect if you get up real close. I just did a vocal track with it this week and it took about 3-4 db of 12k very nicely. But that was also after passing it through a fatso.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is what it is, a vocal mic. Not much low end on the mic, which is great for most vocal work, very modern sounding. I paid $1250 new for it so i'm happy.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey would anyone here like to follow up on their ownership experience with the TLM 49?

It's mostly positive here but in other threads it's getting some criticism.

To me it sounds like many people didn't like the M49 reference by Neumann. It seems the brand may be creating false hopes in the minds of their customers kind of the way they referenced the U87 in the marketing of the TLM 103.

So is the TLM 49 a great mic or not? Any thoughts?
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot ➡️
Hey would anyone here like to follow up on their ownership experience with the TLM 49?

I auditioned the TLM 49 years ago, although it was done AT guitar center (I brought in a laptop and my Apogee Duet at the time). At the time, when shot out against the u87 it seemed a little thinner on bottom, and maybe a little “compressed” sounding. Years later, and more gear WISDOM in my toolbelt, I wonder if the 49 isn’t a much better “modern sounding vocal mic” than I perceived at the time. I think a lot of folks on the internet are always looking for the biggest, warmest, airiest sounding mic when solo’d in a shootout. Fact is, mics sound completely different in a mix vs solo, and sometimes us slutz spend more time shooting out gear than actually making music.
Old 4th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot ➡️
I had one and tried it on a session. I immediately took it back. It was strident and hard sounding, not the body and thickness I was looking for. I think it's just an OK mic and works for some voices but a couple male vocalists did not sound good when I used it. That's was my experience. I think the SM7 is a better mic. Note I am not down on Neumann mics as I later purchased the M149 and this is a fantastic mic.

If you had something like a Pultec or LA2A with thick sounding transformers in the chain, the result might be different but straight into a mic preamp then to converters, it was not a good experience.
Old 4th January 2021
Funny to see this thread after so many years
I bought one when it came out. In this time we got a lot of other mics as well (3 x M150, 2 x M149, 4 x U87, 4 x U89, 2 x TLM170, 2 x TLM 107, 2 x TLM 193 and a lot of others from Schoeps and more). After all this years I still like the TLM 49 very much on vocals. It sounds rich, creamy and finished with good resolution. However with the M149 sitting right next to the TLM 49, I don’t use the TLM 49 that often anymore. And the M149 is so much more versatile. I tried to record a violin and a piano with the TLM 49 a long time ago... puh... this didn’t work at all. It sounded harsh and thin. The M149 does these jobs nearly as uncomplicated as a sdc but with something nice extra :-)
However if you use the TLM 49 for what it was designed (vocals) it still sounds great and expensive to me.
Gear Maniac
I had exactly the same experience with tlm 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone ➡️
It was strident and hard sounding, not the body and thickness I was looking for. I think it's just an OK mic and works for some voices but a couple male vocalists did not sound good when I used it. That's was my experience.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have to echo the above. I had almost the exact same experience as @ Oldone .

I bought the TLM 49 after using an M149 in the studio, hoping for a lower cost alternative. Unfortunately, they pretty much sound nothing alike. I sent it back after a month.

TLM 49 sounds great on some vocalists, but absolutely horrid on others (i.e. myself). On my voice, the midrange is really weird and claustrophobic sounding, to the point where it's virtually unusable.

If you can afford it, the M149 is a much better mic all around. I've had mine for three years and while it isn't always the perfect match for a source, I've yet to find a scenario where it sounds bad.
📝 Reply