Quantcast
If mixing with a 16X2 summing mixer, can you use outboard on tracks within stems? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If mixing with a 16X2 summing mixer, can you use outboard on tracks within stems?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If mixing with a 16X2 summing mixer, can you use outboard on tracks within stems?

Kind of a weird question, not sure if its been covered before. Right now I have an apogee ad16X and da16x. I'm about to put in my order for a tonelux rig, and I'm stuck trying to decide to spend the extra amounts of dough on getting another ad16x and da16x so I have 32 ins and outs to accomadate a 32 channel tonelux rig. If I only have 16 outs and the 16 channel summing mixer, how can I use say an outboard eq on a track that is being submixed in the computer and sent out through a stem to feed one of the channels of the tonelux. Does that make sense? Help me out here. The thought of having everything on it's own channel in the tonelux with minimal submixes sounds easier to manage since with the use of outboard gear since there are inserts on every channel.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If your box (not your chicks box, your box) is going to have inserts, you'll have to use them, otherwise a freeze function in your DAW would allow you to use the gear before you went out to sum mixer.
📝 Reply