Quantcast
benefits & difference between mastering to tape or recording each track to tape.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
benefits & difference between mastering to tape or recording each track to tape..
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
benefits & difference between mastering to tape or recording each track to tape..

how much of a difference is mixing in daw and just mastering the stereo mix onto to tape for tape flavour than going from recording each track individually onto tape then tracking it into your daw for mixdown.

also how much of a difference is mixing in daw and just mastering the stereo mix onto to tape for tape flavour than just mixing it all into your daw without going to tape at all. i was considering getting a little 2-4 track and maybe mix into it or individually record my sample or audio onto the reel to reel and dump it back to the daw for arrangement. longer process though but wondering whether there are large benefits getting a 2-4 track reel to reel, even an 8 track maybe.
Old 31st July 2008
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I had to rebirth this thread.

Is there a huge difference?
Old 13th October 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
yea i wanna know too
Old 7th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
this is a groovy question...
Old 7th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Some nice benefits in tracking drums or anything percussive to tape.. simply helping absorb transients and can raise underlying musical harmonics relative to peak level. Can the difference be huge? Sometimes is the only simple answer. And often tracking to tape is enough. Tracking and mixing to tape for a given project can be too much (saturation, noise, even overdriven electronics due to inexperience), unless you know how to get the best out the variables involved.

Much of the desired tape sound comes from the particular machine.. transformers (eg, Ampex AG440), or lack of (MCI), or tubes (see below), or the many other variables of tape formulation, bias, speed and level.

I (and most mastering engineers) would much rather master from a mix done well to tape, than transfer a mix to tape for that sound in mastering.

If in doubt, send to mastering both digital and tape prints of the mixes.

Of course tape in these cases = a well maintained and aligned 1/4" or 1/2" at 15 or 30 ips, with documented repro EQ & alignment tones and any tape NR used. See a recent thread on this in the mastering forum.

Incidentally, I just received up a copy of an album I worked on in 2004, ordered from the US as it wasn't available here.. tracked to 2" 24 track here in Melbourne, mixed to Studer C-37 (from memory) valve 1/4" & mastered analogue. Sounds huge, yet clean & "open".
๐Ÿ“ Reply