Quantcast
API 3124 or GERMANIUMS please help - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 3124 or GERMANIUMS please help
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL
I have to purchase a couple more pre's and just wanted to hit up the fellow slutz and ask them their opinion between the API 3124 or the Germaniums. I can buy two germaniums then save up and buy an LTD-1 or just save money and buy a API 3124.

I will be doing rock music and would also love to hear what you guys use these pre's on with great results.

THANKS

What do you need pres for?

Drums? Gtrs? Vocal?

API is a punchy drum pre and great on bass. The Germs are much better on guitars and vocals.

(and yes I also do some recording and own them both, along with Daking, TG2, GTQ2, Shadow Hills, Martech)

I would also look to the Mono Gamma, or a Gama 8. It's got 3 sounds in each slot and their API sound is at least as cool if not cooler. The Nickel sound is great for vocals, the discrete is a transformerless option for anything.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by partnering
i notice in reading alot of pre questions lately the ppl will answer mostly with so and so pre for drums or guitar or bass. but i never hear them much mention vocals. And in reading more i really gather that it seems vocals tend to get either the "n" word treatment or more of the cleaner pres or the "euphoric" tube pres for vocals.

and in most of the api comparison threads, even ones with audio samples, almost like 99% rather something else beside the api for vocals. and this seems to be repeatedly mentioned.
so basically i'm basically asking for vocals in real world api or germ?
I use API's on vocals all the time...
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i notice in reading alot of pre questions lately the ppl will answer mostly with so and so pre for drums or guitar or bass. but i never hear them much mention vocals. And in reading more i really gather that it seems vocals tend to get either the "n" word treatment or more of the cleaner pres or the "euphoric" tube pres for vocals.

and in most of the api comparison threads, even ones with audio samples, almost like 99% rather something else beside the api for vocals. and this seems to be repeatedly mentioned.
I wouldn't say there's one best preamp for vocals. It's really highly dependent on what mic you're using, what the vocals sound like and where they need to fit in (the music).

I usually try everything and the results are not always the same. That said I end up a lot of times with the DRS-2 or the API. Haven't had the time to use the Germ on vocals so far, but the API won't be a bad choice for rock. I have a feeling that the Germ will sound more "vintage" on vocals than the API, if that's a good or a bad thing, it's up to you.

Take the audio samples with a grain of salt because it's mostly just the voice alone. That doesn't tell you how well it will sit/cut through in the mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great thought, Jose, had to nick it for my sig. Sums up a huge number of threads on GS. heh

Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet
Great thought, Jose, had to nick it for my sig. Sums up a huge number of threads on GS. heh

hahaa yeah you are right. countless times i have argued just for the fun of it, knowing they are right, and i´m right hahaha
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
hahaa yeah you are right. countless times i have argued just for the fun of it, knowing they are right, and i´m right hahaha
I dont get anyone who would cause an argument for "the fun of it"... there are plenty of naturally occuring disagreements, honest ones, between sincere individuals ... that need our attention already.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I just had a vocal recording with a female rock singer. I tried different mics and ended up with the Brauner Phantom. After having recorded the first phrases, I discovered a certain nasty distorion in the mids. First I checked if something was overdriven or if it was the Distressor, but everyhting seemed to be cool. It was a very subtle kind of aggressive ringing. Then I hooked up my Drawmer 1960 (which I had not used for ages) and everyhting was better, the subtle distortion was gone.

I have had this problems a few times even more subtle. No I know that the API pres (3124+) are not what I want for "beautiful sounding" rockvocals. There's one exception and that is screaming metal vocals. Here the APIs are cool for me!

Just my 2€
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think API's work great on all sorts of vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Germanium is really incredible on vocals! I'm regularly blown away by it......... I have both API and the Germ BTW...
📝 Reply