Quantcast
Apogee Rosetta 200 vs. Dan Lavry Blue : which & why? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Rosetta 200 vs. Dan Lavry Blue : which & why?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Apogee Rosetta 200 vs. Dan Lavry Blue : which & why?

vs.

which & why?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there any prize ?
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hands down no question.... Lavry Blue.... you should be emabarrased to even ask the question tutt
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
ok, lavry blue.. and for what reasons? I have no way to hear the unit before actually spending the cash.. I plan on rendering inside the DAW
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Haven't heard the Rosetta but I have 8 Channels of Lavry AD and they sound incredible. They get all the use unless I need more I/O then I go to my 3 192's...
You should listen for yourself, but I really like the Lavry's and would never sell them.

Rob King
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm very happy with my Apogee Rosetta 200

especially when I need to convert from a 48k 24 bit mix to 16 44.1..... (I go between two ProTools rigs).... the onboard SRC and UV22 dither sounds WAY better than doing the conversion all ITB (either DP or PT)

I've done tests!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What would you be using them for? Are there any features that you need? This is the first thing I would look at because why look at a unit that doesn't have the features you need. If you are working on mostly rock tunes I would go with the Apogee, it really preserves the power of the music. The Lavry is clear and sweat, great at capturing subtle nuances of the music.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I mostly produce House music (deep, soulful, funky), i record a lot of live instrumentation.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go with the Rosetta 200 for the simple fact that it is a fukkload cheaper...put the extra grand or so into a nice mic or pre or comp, etc...

Since when was a record ruined for using an Apogee rather than a Lavry converter?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i just auditioned these two in order to buy one -- given everything i'd read i expected the lavry blue to be the hands-down winner -- and i was ready to buy it -- BUT, it turned out that for the material we mostly work on (alt-rock, not heavy, with some americana roots of violin and acoordion sometimes), the lavry blue seemed to squash some of the energy with a top end that was almost too smooth and rounded -- i didn't hear it as clear and open, as many have described it -- i was so surprised, we even wondered if we had it set up right, and checked and rechecked, brought in another engineer friend, etc. (In addition, the lavry came with no labeling on the back inputs and outputs, etc. and an almost non-existent manual) The Apogee was much truer to the music for us -- i know it's coloring things, possibly more so than the lavry, given what people say -- BUT, we've been doing this long enough to trust what we hear and like, and we liked the Apogee. Thus, you really do need to listen to both and decide for yourself, based on your purposes and style(s) of music -- as always, right?? good luck...

this isn't a claim that the lavry isn't great -- just our experience this time around...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Both are very good converters and I use them depending on material.
For smoother and acoustic tracks Lavry sounds truer, for what I do the most (modern rock and pop production) Apogee still has more attractive subtle flavor.
I think Rosetta 200 could be overall better choice for you ( and not only because of lower price ).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find that Apogees do indeed color the sound in a pleasant way, the way that Neve 1073's and Urei 1176's color sound in a pleasant way. People act as if "transparent" is a good thing. Well, digital video is more "transparent" than film and I prefer film. Give me color any day of the week. And give me an Apogee Rosetta 200!!
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am listening for the emotion and "being there" realism to translate. The Lavry Blue did this for me, better than some others I tried. I was very satisfied with that, did not try Rosetta.

Steve
πŸ“ Reply