The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
The "other direction" is only for left-handed drummers!
yessss !!!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

This is a work in progress. We recently moved to a new space with a project-studio. Experimenting with Glyn-Johns and spaced stereo-pair oh and close miking simultaneously. Few more pics:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...np?usp=sharing

Approx 60 m² (645 ft²) room
bd Solomon Subkick - SSL xr621
bd AKG D12 VR - SSL xr621+ xr618 comp
sn Beyerdynamic 201 top, Sennheiser 609 reso - SSL xr627
toms Audio-Technica ATM230 - TL Audio M3 tubetracker
tamborito Earthworks SR25 (below) - TL Audio M3 tubetracker
ohs Earthworks SR25 - SSL xr627
glyn johns pair Beyerdynamic M160 - Heritage 73jr or tubetracker
close room Soundelux 195 (great on bd too) - SSL xr627
...and other room mics to taste

Also Porter-Davies tactile seat to get the "live feel" for tracking. I usually run kick&snare and bass di through it (one of the monitor-mixes through Rme Totalmix). Guitarists have also used the seat when overdubbing etc.

The c-stand works nicely for far reaching overheads. I clamped a Klotz xlr stagebox on it for easy access. Also utilized a couple of Sonor drumstands for bd/tt and snare top/bottom miking (one stand two mics).

my stuff: www.tatuparssinen.com

Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tparssin ➡️
This is a work in progress. We recently moved to a new space with a project-studio. Experimenting with Glyn-Johns and spaced stereo-pair oh and close miking simultaneously. Few more pics:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...np?usp=sharing

This purple glitter kit is sweet!

Last edited by damien; 5 days ago at 12:53 AM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sweet room! 👌😎 What are the details on gong at the back, or is it a gong? Almost looks like it has your avatar initials on it but not quite!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien ➡️
This purple glitter kit is sweet!
Thx, that's a early 2000 Sonor Delite bright violet sparkle paint. Same shells as current Prolite or SQ2 vintage maple shells. I shortened the bd from 17,5" deep to approx 13" deep with a local professional drum builder and had the batter side bearing edge made round baseballbat style. The leftover part of the shell I set up as an additional bd-woofer/gong drum seen in the background. Also 12" tom shortened to 7,5" deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLRice ➡️
Sweet room! ������������ What are the details on gong at the back, or is it a gong? Almost looks like it has your avatar initials on it but not quite!
That's a Hammerax 24" gong I bought from Memphis Drum Shop. It's pretty thin so can be played kinda like a crash cymbal.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's a Hammerax 24" gong I bought from Memphis Drum Shop. It's pretty thin so can be played kinda like a crash cymbal.
Ahh, very cool, thanks! I don't think I've seen those before.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Punk/Surf Rock Band Drum Tracking

Here are a few photos and some audio samples from a Punk/Surf Rock band who tracked basics here a couple weeks back.

Tried to keep it pretty simple and use mostly console pres for the drums.

Kick In - B52 > KT-EQP1 > ua 710-d
Kick Out - Solomon Mics LoFreq > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Snare Top - 57 > dbx760
Snare Bottom - EV D056 > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Tom 1 - Naiant X-D > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Tom-Flr - Naiant X-D > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Hats - iSK Pearl > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Overheads - Stellar CM6 > Dakings
Shoulder Mic - Red Gauge 12 (omni) > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
FOK - Cascade Vinjet > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Room - NT2 > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-01-curbsurfer_drumkit_full-kit.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-02-curbsurfer_drumkit-01.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-04-curbsurfer_drumkit_snr-drum-miking-04.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-05-curbsurfer_drumkit_full-kit-09.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-06-curbsurfer_drumkit_over-shoulder-mic-05-.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-07-kick-drum.jpg  
Attached Files

01_Just Drums_Faders Up_NO FX.mp3 (7.35 MB, 17 views)

02_Heartbeats_Mix.mp3 (7.86 MB, 16 views)

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Overhead placement!

Just realized I didn't take any pics at an angle to show the overheads placement. Anyway, here is a photo from a session I did last month showing exactly how I place my overheads using Glyn Johns. I usually place the center mic over the cymbals, peaking down at the snare. The side mic is just over the floor tom and aimed at the snare shell. Sometimes I'll raise the side mic a few inches and aim at the center of the snare. I'm usually anywhere between 35" inches to 40" inches in my space. Can't really go any higher than that without it capturing too much of the room. I can go higher if I put the drums in the ISO booth of course. I might get a drum umbrella at some point. We'll see...

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-zzz-overheads-gj.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Here are a few photos and some audio samples from a Punk/Surf Rock band who tracked basics here a couple weeks back.
Cool!

Explain me - what's the air filter doing in front of the BD?
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith ➡️
Cool!

"Air Filter"? Do you mean the round white/black thingy with the letters "SM" on it?

If that's what you're speaking of, that is a "Solomon Mic" AKA Solomon DesiGN LoFreq sub-mic.

It's made from a speaker. See Link below.

https://www.solomonmics.com/vnkmn5p8...w3smmlq9l9vbd1
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . .

Hilarious!!
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool!

It’s filtering 150-500Hz of course.

🙃
Old 59 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shure Beta 91A question

Quote:
Here are a couple of clips of the drums as tracked and then with my mix processing.
Hey bleen thx for sharing these clips. They sound fantastic! I especially loved the tone and texture of the kick drum.

I had been contemplating getting a Beta 91a for a couple years and just never did but your clips pushed me over the edge.

I had a question though. How much of that texture and tone would you accredit to the bd and tuning itself vs what the mic is picking up and its placement?

I can hear the essence of the tone in the raw clips so I’m guessing it’s either one or both the bd tuning/muffling/tone or the mic accentuating what we’re hearing?
Old 32 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
I had a question though. How much of that texture and tone would you accredit to the bd and tuning itself vs what the mic is picking up and its placement?

I can hear the essence of the tone in the raw clips so I’m guessing it’s either one or both the bd tuning/muffling/tone or the mic accentuating what we’re hearing?
That bass drum was more than half-full with packing blankets/pillows, so there wasn't a tone of actual "tone" from the drum itself, but I feel like that's what the 91 was also capturing - a very short, punchy kick sound. I don't use the mid-scoop filter on the mic, so it's flat and I do whatever carving I need to. I did use a little EQ on the way in on the 1081 (ducking out quite a bit of 390, boosting 56 with the LF shelf a couple DB).
Old 21 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That bass drum was more than half-full with packing blankets/pillows, so there wasn't a tone of actual "tone" from the drum itself, but I feel like that's what the 91 was also capturing - a very short, punchy kick sound. I don't use the mid-scoop filter on the mic, so it's flat and I do whatever carving I need to. I did use a little EQ on the way in on the 1081 (ducking out quite a bit of 390, boosting 56 with the LF shelf a couple DB).

Right. That bd reminded me of the sound of bass drums in the 70’s (which I happen to love), which is why I was curious. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes info! Can’t wait to experiment with the Beta 91a when it arrives. I’ve been told it’s way more flexible with regards to placement than the beta 52 I’ve been using the past few years.
📝 Reply