The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 10th August 2022
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had a fun 3-day session with some good friends and the very great local session drummer Ji Tanzer this weekend. He brought in his lovely burgundy sparkle 22/13/16 round badge Gretsch. I was running the C12 clones in XY as the overheads until we got to a track where I wanted more cymbals and a tighter sound, so I muted the C12’s and threw up the Schoeps close to the cymbals.

Kick - MD421 - Vintech x73i
Subkick - CraneSong Flamingo
SnTop - Unidyne III - Vintech x73i
SnShell - Royer R121 - Neve 33115
Hats - KM84- Neve 33115
Crotch - Coles - SSL
Toms - Josephson e22S - SSL
Overheads - C12 clones - Langevin AM16 - VariMu
Cymbals- Schoeps CMC64 - SSL
Room - SM69fet - SSL
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-36a5cdf1-1a45-4485-96de-747e11c3e196.jpeg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-610819d0-f58b-48ec-854c-726dabf6fbd1.jpeg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f5020347-45c3-4597-8cbf-c99c9a3cc1bd.jpeg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-d5858717-f844-4dca-bf97-595cedd8512b.jpeg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-bf9816d3-6d23-4948-9726-ff787ca5ea3b.jpeg  

Old 10th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
I had a fun 3-day session with some good friends and the very great local session drummer Ji Tanzer this weekend. He brought in his lovely burgundy sparkle 22/13/16 round badge Gretsch. I was running the C12 clones in XY as the overheads until we got to a track where I wanted more cymbals and a tighter sound, so I muted the C12’s and threw up the Schoeps close to the cymbals.

Hats - KM84- Neve 33115
Crotch - Coles - SSL
Room - SM69fet - SSL
What a setup! But vintage MD421 inside kick with no windscreen? You might slowly kill it...
Old 11th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:

Hats - KM84- Neve 33115
Crotch - Coles - SSL
Room - SM69fet - SSL
When you do overheads and cymbal mics like this, is the plan to have options, or do they work in tandem?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
When you do overheads and cymbal mics like this, is the plan to have options, or do they work in tandem?
It’s definitely for an option. There would surely be phase issues trying to use both. I only had the XY pair set up until 7 songs in, where I wanted the drier sound. Then I just kept both up for options, only monitoring and sending one to headphone cues at a time.

For anyone curious, here’s a snippet of each. Note that the Schoeps were hi-passed around 300hz on the SSL on the way down.
Attached Files

Starsign C12xy.mp3 (436.4 KB, 29 views)

Starsign CMC64.mp3 (436.4 KB, 32 views)

Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
It’s definitely for an option. There would surely be phase issues trying to use both. I only had the XY pair set up until 7 songs in, where I wanted the drier sound. Then I just kept both up for options, only monitoring and sending one to headphone cues at a time.

For anyone curious, here’s a snippet of each. Note that the Schoeps were hi-passed around 300hz on the SSL on the way down.
Super cool, and thanks for the samples too!
Old 16th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
I bought a Corders 24BD off Reverb and I decided (especially since it was shipped without the heads on it) that I would bore out the vent hole so that I could fish a mic cable through it and mic it with two full heads.

I did a test recording with the Sennheiser e602II inside.

Here are the process pictures and I call the last one I cal MOAR BASS DRUMS!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-bd-hole-bore.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-e602-pillow.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-e602-both-heads.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-24-place.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20-22-24.jpg  

Gear Maniac

Quote:
I bought a Corders 24BD off Reverb and I decided (especially since it was shipped without the heads on it) that I would bore out the vent hole so that I could fish a mic cable through it and mic it with two full heads.

I did a test recording with the Sennheiser e602II inside.

Here are the process pictures and I call the last one I cal MOAR BASS DRUMS!!!
Nice!

If you are up for a little soldering you could add a panel mount XLR connector (I did this) or if you don't want to solder you could use an "XLR Pass Through" connector so you can just plug in cables to both ends of it? The pass-through connectors are under $10, I recommend Redco for good prices and service:
https://www.redco.com/Redco-RC3MDF-P...emale-XLR.html

Here's a couple pics of my drum and a generic picture of pass-through connectors :
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-jlr_internalbassmic_.png   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-jlr_internalbassmic_2.png   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-s-l1600.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLRice ➡️
Nice!

If you are up for a little soldering you could add a panel mount XLR connector (I did this) or if you don't want to solder you could use an "XLR Pass Through" connector so you can just plug in cables to both ends of it? The pass-through connectors are under $10, I recommend Redco for good prices and service:
https://www.redco.com/Redco-RC3MDF-P...emale-XLR.html

Here's a couple pics of my drum and a generic picture of pass-through connectors :
That's cool. I don't think I want to commit a mic to living in there, but I also hadn't thought about either.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's cool. I don't think I want to commit a mic to living in there, but I also hadn't thought about either.
The mic wouldn't have to live in there. If you did the way I did then only the short mic cable would need to remain inside and if you use the pass through connector instead you could also remove the short mic cable.

Possible pros and cons that I can think of off the top of my head

For the way you have it now:
Cons: if you are changing mic cables a lot the connector might eventually wear away at the raw hole if you aren't carful? (likely minimal damage though) Also the cable resting on the hole "might" rattle a little but it's unlikely that it would be picked up enough to be an issue?
Pros: it's done, it works, and you can get on with making music!

Adding either type of connector to the shell:
Cons: it's more work for minimal gain, requires drilling two additional holes in the shell (although tiny ones), and some might worry that bolting more hardware to the shell will hurt the shell's resonance (although overly worrying about shell resonance for a bass drum is pretty out there IMHO, like an "Eric Johnson level concern"?! )
Pros: a little quicker to connect/disconnect, possibly a little less wear and tear on the shell, and it looks nicer IMHO . . .because music is all about looking good, right?
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
The mic wouldn't have to live in there. If you did the way I did then only the short mic cable would need to remain inside and if you use the pass through connector instead you could also remove the short mic cable.

Possible pros and cons that I can think of off the top of my head

For the way you have it now:
Cons: if you are changing mic cables a lot the connector might eventually wear away at the raw hole if you aren't carful? (likely minimal damage though) Also the cable resting on the hole "might" rattle a little but it's unlikely that it would be picked up enough to be an issue?
Pros: it's done, it works, and you can get on with making music!

Adding either type of connector to the shell:
Cons: it's more work for minimal gain, requires drilling two additional holes in the shell (although tiny ones), and some might worry that bolting more hardware to the shell will hurt the shell's resonance (although overly worrying about shell resonance for a bass drum is pretty out there IMHO, like an "Eric Johnson level concern"?! )
Pros: a little quicker to connect/disconnect, possibly a little less wear and tear on the shell, and it looks nicer IMHO . . .because music is all about looking good, right?
Like I said, I hadn't actually thought much about it. I just wanted to be able to put a mic in there with full heads.

As to the hole itself, I've smoothed it out enough that I'm not worried about cables, but probably will get some sandpaper to make it smoother.

And the looks, this is a marching drum originally but it has three little feet so the kids could take it off the harness and sit on it, and the hole is near that, so it's pretty unobtrusive. I don't have a case, so I doubt it's coming on gigs...
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Like I said, I hadn't actually thought much about it. I just wanted to be able to put a mic in there with full heads.

As to the hole itself, I've smoothed it out enough that I'm not worried about cables, but probably will get some sandpaper to make it smoother.

And the looks, this is a marching drum originally but it has three little feet so the kids could take it off the harness and sit on it, and the hole is near that, so it's pretty unobtrusive. I don't have a case, so I doubt it's coming on gigs...
Don't mind me, if on excessive caffeine and in a certain mood I tend to way over think things that don't really matter instead of doing things that do! And on that note . . .
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Don't mind me, if on excessive caffeine and in a certain mood I tend to way over think things that don't really matter instead of doing things that do! And on that note . . .
Hahaha. GO PRACTICE, MAN!!!
Old 20th August 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Is there a name for a mic'ing technique that combines a spaced pair of OHs and a center mic above the kit?

I've seen a couple of people put U47-style mics in the center (above, not in front), with SDCs for left and right OHs. I personally like the spaced pair to be equidistant from the snare (in a GJ manner). The center one tends to be lower than the other two. I'm thinking about experimenting with this later.
Old 20th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphicTrench ➡️
Is there a name for a mic'ing technique that combines a spaced pair of OHs and a center mic above the kit?

I've seen a couple of people put U47-style mics in the center (above, not in front), with SDCs for left and right OHs. I personally like the spaced pair to be equidistant from the snare (in a GJ manner). The center one tends to be lower than the other two. I'm thinking about experimenting with this later.
Generically that would be called an LCR setup. Left-Center-Right.

I'm planning something this week where I have a mono ribbon near the drummer's (my) head in addition to my normal ORTF setup. I'm not sure if that's the same, but the concept is.
Old 21st August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:

i don't know if this has a name but i've always done it. usually with a coles 4038 or condensor like a lawson l47 or u67, etc over the center of the kit, then a spaced pair of overheads, trying to get all three at an equal distance from the center of the kit or snare drum.

lately i've been using a single large boom stand to get my coles and a beyer m160 over the center of the kit, then i have another beyer peaking over the floor tom and i will use the 2 160's in a glyn johns sort of setup. the coles usually has a lot of compression on it.

i then have several options using just those three mics.
Old 21st August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer ➡️
i don't know if this has a name but i've always done it. usually with a coles 4038 or condensor like a lawson l47 or u67, etc over the center of the kit, then a spaced pair of overheads, trying to get all three at an equal distance from the center of the kit or snare drum.

lately i've been using a single large boom stand to get my coles and a beyer m160 over the center of the kit, then i have another beyer peaking over the floor tom and i will use the 2 160's in a glyn johns sort of setup. the coles usually has a lot of compression on it.

i then have several options using just those three mics.
Sounds like you have some killer options right there.

I bought a Latch Lake stand for this exact reason. I wanted to try to get the U47 (I'm actually using a Pearlman TM-1) as close to the drummer as possible. I have some extra boom arms for the wurst mic, tom and the FOK or outside kick (usually a ribbon). Would love to get a 4038 one day. For now I use a Stager SR-2N. Still experimenting, though.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

My circle has always referred to it as ABC. A and B being coincident stereo, and C being the Center that you can bring for fullness, or flip the phase on and use to increase the stereo width (that's a crap shoot though . . . only works half the time).
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

stick to equidistant (from the snare), also for the kick - much more tight image/better impact due to higher phase coherence.

in fact, if the room and kit are fine and the drummer can play, modified gj/equidistant l/c/r+kick is my favourite way of picking up drums/cymbals - i do add a snare mic though and delay it accordingly but mostly only use it as efx send - oh, and i add room mics/ambis in wide a/b (which again do not necessarily get routed to the 2mix but get used as efx sends - stereo i/o in this case though while i mostly use a mono i/o for the snare)!

p.s. l/c/r is the correct term - with a/b/c, one does not know whether b refers to center or right - that said, i wish folks in live sound would stick to l/r/c/sub...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Those of you regularly using Beyer M160 as overhead(s), do you find the orientation of the ribbon - as indicated by the red dots - matters to how the mic picks up the drum kit?
Kinda hoping for @ Remoteness to chime in...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i'm almost exclusively using coincident overheads (or mono or l/c/r) so in case of the m-160/m-130, ime yes, the orientation does matter or else the mics do not properly combine...

[compared to my schoeps mk-4v/mk-8, the beyer ribbons are further apart anyway (and hypercardioids are rarely my preferred choice for overheads) so i tend to use the beyer ribbons as oh's mostly only live or then in studios with rather poor poor acoustics - not in rooms with low ceilings though (in which i would use underheads or pzm's rather than oh's)]
Super Moderator

🎧 20 years
As you may already know, the Beyer M160 is a dual-ribbon microphone.
From what I understand, the “red dots” on the opposite sides of the microphone grille ring indicate the longitudinal axis of the double ribbons.

I make sure these dots are always pointed in the same direction when the M160s are used as pairs. When the mics are not pointing straight down over the drum kit I make sure the axis of these mics are in the vertical position.

Some folks make sure they store these mics with the “red dot” pointing up. This practice helps minimize ribbon sag. Laying them horizontally could cause the ribbons to bow.

That said, when I'm focusing the mics, I usually like to have the red dots aligned symmetrically, but I haven't heard a dramatic difference when they are not in any particular orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➡️
Those of you regularly using Beyer M160 as overhead(s), do you find the orientation of the ribbon - as indicated by the red dots - matters to how the mic picks up the drum kit?
Kinda hoping for @ Remoteness to chime in...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Todays session. It’s a client I can’t do my usual thing of Glynn John’s OH, etc for. He likes 441’s on snare and M88s on Tom’s because they both have great low end and excellent rejection. I usually don’t mic the ride, but used a D19.

I’ve been adding the Alien 8 Joe Barresi gave me to the kick. 160s facing the wall ni the corners, just crushed. The M50s weren’t available, so I did an SM69 with some Fairchild love.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-4214da03-678f-41da-b61c-6f2812f650e1.jpeg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-d381a432-e9f2-43ea-b9f2-61362d04754c.jpeg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hats - KM84- Neve 33115
Crotch - Coles - SSL
Room - SM69fet - SSL
Do you remember if the hi hat was picking up a lot of the closer drums, especially the snare?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango ➡️
Do you remember if the hi hat was picking up a lot of the closer drums, especially the snare?
It doesn’t. I not only have it positioned closer to the area where the stick strikes than most do, but as you can see it’s angled away from the snare and crash cymbal to minimize bleed. A hpf deals with the rumble from proximity effect. The Km84 is one of the few mics that truly excells at the task in this position.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It doesn’t. I not only have it positioned closer to the area where the stick strikes than most do, but as you can see it’s angled away from the snare and crash cymbal to minimize bleed. A hpf deals with the rumble from proximity effect. The Km84 is one of the few mics that truly excells at the task in this position.
Excellent, thanks very much!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Todays session. It’s a client I can’t do my usual thing of Glynn John’s OH, etc for. He likes 441’s on snare and M88s on Tom’s because they both have great low end and excellent rejection. I usually don’t mic the ride, but used a D19.

I’ve been adding the Alien 8 Joe Barresi gave me to the kick. 160s facing the wall ni the corners, just crushed. The M50s weren’t available, so I did an SM69 with some Fairchild love.

cool setup, jj.

i've always done similar with a coles over the center of the kit and then another coles out front of the bass drum. i started using a little labs IBP on the front mic and found i could get it where i wanted it to be to get the ambience and low end of the kick that i wanted, and then use the IBP to adjust the phase of that coles to feel right with the rest of the kit.

do you ever do anything like that or are you just getting moving that mic to where it sits well for you ?

in other words, is it a specific distance or ratio based on how high the overhead coles is ?

or are you just putting them up, moving them until it sounds cool ?

i assume you are getting a big part of the overall kit sound from those two mics. at least that's always my goal. then i use a stereo pair of overheads or close mics on hat and ride to get some stereo spread or more articulation from those cymbals.

usually a aea r88 stereo room mic gives me the widest stereo picture that i can blend in depending on the song and other elements....but i always have that strong center mono image from the coles.

many times i'll just use a little bit of a close snare to drive a reverb or for more snare sound, and a little of a close kick mic for more low end or punch from the kick.

75% of my drum sound is usually the mono overhead and mono "front of kit" mic.

just curious your thoughts and process when you mic a kit this way.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Hats - KM84- Neve 33115
Crotch - Coles - SSL
Room - SM69fet - SSL
Nice. Are you aiming the X/Y at the rack and floor toms? It looks centered over the center of the kit (kick pedal).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
Nice. Are you aiming the X/Y at the rack and floor toms? It looks centered over the center of the kit (kick pedal).
I have it centered a la Massenburg - I imagine a straight line going through the kick batter head and the center of the snare.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have it centered a la Massenburg - I imagine a straight line going through the kick batter head and the center of the snare.
Yeah I've seen that video of his. I've done this with a spaced pair, but never with X/Y. I'll have to try it!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
Yeah I've seen that video of his. I've done this with a spaced pair, but never with X/Y. I'll have to try it!
I’m curious to see how it goes for you. I’ve been getting good results with it wuth my C12 clones.

I tried it out when I saw Josh Freese post a studio pic of his kit similar configuration with two 67’s, although they weren’t centering them the same and was using a smaller than 90° angle, which I’ve also tried with good results.
📝 Reply