The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 19th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
it's rare to read that someone says he's been influenced by ronald shannon jackson!

nevertheless, i guess i could claim that for myself too, albeit less as drummer but as a live sound tech - his 'influence' came as a shock when i mixed his band 'last exit' many moons ago: the venue was way too small and the pa far too weak to withstand the sheer energy of the band!

hard to characterize but something like 'elevated spirit radical punk free jazz at metal spl level' comes close... - i never experienced something alike before or after that concert again!
wow what a great story/experience!

My entry to RSJ was a live video of Last Exit in Germany, on YouTube. At first it was "What the hell is this?" then it turned into "What the hell IS this???"

All I have are his albums, very many. I can lay in bed for hours and drift in and out of sleep/reality with his music. Ironically the chaos is very soothing to me. He hits that deep subliminal level you're talking about, first with volume, then with sensitivity. Anyway one of my favorites glad to share and talk about him!
Old 20th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Efficiency and faster setup / tear down times has led many to the now common 1 up 1 down tom configuration so tom spacing is not an issue. Efficiency and less motion comes into play with that setup given the rack tom is set much closer in height to the snare height. When playing / striking even loud you don't need to have the sticks way up in the air however "look at me" showmanship comes into play. Some of the best drummers I've seen make the most out of the fewest pcs. of gear brought to a gig and don't waste motion. Look at what some of the Dixieland drummers did with using LESS than a stripped down trap kit lol.

I've got a 12"/13"/16" tom kit setup in a jam space but have the 13" tom on the left side ala Bernard Purdie setup figuring anyone used to a 1 up 1 down rig could then just ignore the 12" rack tom on the right. Additionally the setup allowed the rack toms to be set an inch lower in height getting them closer to the snare height (efficiency of motion). Rack tom angle is fairly flat and equal leading to easy movement between rack and floor tom. You can still move your sticks way up in the air on an effienct kit but it's a lot harder to be efficient on a show kit setup. Be sure to add in grimacing and hair swings to complete the show, even on the easy parts lol.

I'll post pics if I get the chance but likely you guys know what my setup will look like just from the above description.
Old 20th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ Bassmankr - what’s a “1 up 1 down” tom setup? I’ve never heard that term before. Can you post a pic? Even a stock photo off the web would suffice just so I can see what it looks like. Thanks!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
@ Bassmankr - what’s a “1 up 1 down” tom setup? I’ve never heard that term before. Can you post a pic? Even a stock photo off the web would suffice just so I can see what it looks like. Thanks!
I believe he's talking about a standard 4 piece drum set with one rack tom (up) and one floor tom (down) plus a bass and snare of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-7527e7f3391d752d938b5ca28f4c8872.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLRice ➡️
I believe he's talking about a standard 4 piece drum set with one rack tom (up) and one floor tom (down) plus a bass and snare of course.
Ah ok duh I should’ve known that lol.

Thx for the reply. Thumbs up!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
John covered it with the photo and description, 1 rack tom (up) and 1 floor tom (down). Sorry for the confusion, just drummer slang I picked up on. John's pic shows separate rack tom stand and some will just use a kick drum mount to save a bit on hardware to haul. Many going this route will have the rack tom even lower in height than what is in John's pic so there is less height distance between snare and rack tom. I also see some having the rack tom setup farther to the left to get it down lower in height and some are now using the shorter dimension "Fast" tom shell depth instead of the "Standard" tom shell depth (for both a change in sonics and overall lower rack tom placement height when using 2 rack toms - you save a small amount of weight to haul too).

In the old days they had variations of this under "Cocktail" kits but those usually had the smaller 18" kick drum size.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here is a pic of the drums. Notice how 12" and 13" rack toms are reversed from the typical setup with the 13" tom to the drummer's left. This allowed lower overall rack tom height placement.

The drums are an odd duck Fender Squire brand silver sparkle wrap that I picked up used for $100. Basically a mid grade Chinese set, 7 ply poplar shells with ball and socket suspended tom mounts. All are "standard" depth shells with the floor tom exception having a "traditional" depth. Added new batter heads to the toms and snare, replaced the snare wires, cut up the reso kick head to use for tom control rings, replaced the cheap B8 type cymbals the set came with for a new set of Zildjian A's and added a Paiste flat ride that I picked up. Didn't want to tie up a lot of money in a set that will not be used much. Cymbals were the big expense because you can't cheat what they deliver.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drums.jpg  

Last edited by Bassmankr; 20th April 2022 at 09:44 PM..
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
thumbs up for the paiste flatride!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well the Paiste flat ride is a 20" Alpha which they had 4 versions of over time. There were Germany versions 1 and 2, then Switzerland versions 3 and 4. I have the version 3. Got it for $60 used, it has great stick sound but is not as dry as I would like it be though I can't really complain for that price.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i see - definitely not an old fo6o2, sound creation or traditional flat then, but maybe you want to get it re-worked by one of the few cymbal smiths?

(i'm wondering where from you got this information on different versions - and how would you know that your flatride belongs to a specific version?)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Markings on the cymbal and net info. Logo changed and they printed where it was made for each version.

I would love to come across a local cymbal smith but I know from experience, without specific trade knowledge the end user picking up a hammer will more likely change it to a trashier sound. The guy who knows where and how to hammer a cymbal to bring out certain qualities must be few and far between. Hopefully they get supported just as we try to support the guys who really know their stuff with electronic gear repair around here.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➡️
Markings on the cymbal and net info. Logo changed and they printed where it was made for each version.

I would love to come across a local cymbal smith but I know from experience, without specific trade knowledge the end user picking up a hammer will more likely change it to a trashier sound. The guy who knows where and how to hammer a cymbal to bring out certain qualities must be few and far between. Hopefully they get supported just as we try to support the guys who really know their stuff with electronic gear repair around here.
hm... - i'm not convinced that the available information is acurate; at least when i was working for paiste in the 90's, things weren't always what they seemed to be (and this without breaching any rules):

for instance, the first run of the alpha series cymbals (after prototypes) was produced entirely in germany; later on, paiste decided to bump up the alpha series and then, at least for some time, they got pre-produced (by machines) in germany but re-hammered (by hand) in switzerland; those which got distributed to germany, uk and scandinavia were stamped in germany and hence were labelled 'made in germany' while the rest of the world got their cymbals from switzerland, with the according logo/stamp.

then, the machines got more sophisticated and a few more craftsmen were hired so the entire production got concentrated in germany again.
yet a few years later, they were too busy with other pre-productions so at least some batches got manufactured in switzerland again etc.

[of course i wasn't allowed to share these trade secrets (and even less any details in terms of pressing, heating, hammering, lathing) with anyone 30 years ago...]

___

no idea about cymbal smiths in the new world; in the old world, michael paiste (who got kicked out by paiste in the late 90's for all the wrong reasons) is your man - not only to re-work paiste cymbals or gongs but (almost) any piece of bronze!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting inside info and likely not the last time net info is incomplete or entirely wrong. Thanks for the share!

Mine has top side printed brush stroke triangle - circle - square with "Paiste Alpha" as part of the logo with separate mid size "Paiste" printed on lower half of the top. On the bottom of the cymbal is a very large printed "Paiste" with very small "Made in Switzerland" under it. I'm in USA but when / how it got here is unknown.
Old 24th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I sit and try the room with different styles what can be improved with the last construction of the live studio that I and my colleague are building.

The first "Silk Sonic" is completely dry with only close-ups and rear Coles 4038s + Mono OH. Hi-Hat is a pair of old A-Zildjian from the 70's and a wonderful snare that I just love, old Roger "Dyna-Sonic"...appropriate name on the snare for the song Went on a bath towel on bd batter to get the dry cardboard sound. Took with "Dirty Mic" which gets a dose of distortion

This mix "The Bronx" I played 90% with the room microphones. The body of the kit is from the rear Coles 4038s + BD Amb for a little backup around 50-60Hz. The others were allowed to sit on the replacement bench OH, OH mono, Tom mic. As I still swung down on this shot. Took two 16 "Meinl Byance crash to Hi-Hat. Snare Pearl Free Floating Brass

Last edited by drumrec.com; 24th April 2022 at 06:41 PM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrec.com ➡️
I sit and try the room with different styles what can be improved with the last construction of the live studio that I and my colleague are building.

The first "Silk Sonic" is completely dry with only close-ups and rear Coles 4038s + Mono OH. Hi-Hat is a pair of old A-Zildjian from the 70's and a wonderful snare that I just love, old Roger "Dyna-Sonic". Went on a bath towel on bd batter to get the dry cardboard sound. Took with "Dirty Mic" which gets a dose of distortion

https://youtu.be/i46Ed4IlOY4

This mix "The Bronx" I played 90% with the room microphones. The body of the kit is from the rear Coles 4038s + BD Amb for a little backup around 50-60Hz. The others were allowed to sit on the replacement bench OH, OH mono, Tom mic. As I still swung down on this shot. Took two 16 "Meinl Byance crash to Hi-Hat. Snare Pearl Free Floating Brass

https://youtu.be/-BHSknDE16A
Sounds great and tasty playing!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLRice ➡️
Sounds great and tasty playing!
Thanks John Yes, the room is starting to get a good sound. Let's see what we come up with for a final touch for the sound.
Old 9th May 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Continues to test the room. Made a simple and naked mix and used only some of the mics. No close and OH mic were needed for this mix. With only the room mics, Coles, Stam U47, Bd Amb, Unknown Mic.

Mic and Pre:

2 X Coles 4038 Behind the Drums -> Capi VP26 -> Apollo X 16
Stereo Vanguard V44S Room -> Neve 33115 -> Apollo X 16
Stam SA47 Drum Kit -> Vintage Design CA81 -> Apollo X 16
Unknown Ribbon mic Room ”Dirty mic” -> Capi VP 26 -> Apollo X 16
GA-U47 Bd Ambience -> Capi VP26 -> Apollo X 16

Wonderful Ludwig Kit with my favorite snare that sounds good in all situations, both high or low pitch. Pearl "free floating" 6 1/2 ". Took two 16" crashes to HiHat (bottom Meinl 16 "Byzance Extra Dry and on top K- Zildjian). 17 and 19” Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Crach.

Made a Drum Cover of the wonderful song by Chris Stapleton - Maggie's song.

Old 9th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
sounds great but Chris Stapleton has obviously been listening to The Band
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
sounds great but Chris Stapleton has obviously been listening to The Band
Whoops! (you nailed it)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like a lot of Stapleton's stuff however their hit "Tennesee Whisky" (which George Jones did before him) has them basically cloning a different Etta James song. It's sad to me when talented people go down that road. Maybe it's the labels or producers doing that dirty work to up the percentage of a hit single but regardless of who is responsible it still stinks when an "artist" doesn't make their own art.
Old 9th May 2022
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's essentially karaoke. Stapleton is a "cool guy" and he's playing that role. But it's clearly been done before, and not even in an obscure way, we all know exactly what he's doing, and who did it the first time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hope I did not upset anyone with the video. Because that was the last thing I want. I had a good time in the studio on which I build the last parts on and I wanted to share some “room” sound. I just love that song and I did not put any value on what must be correct in the exact sound and history. Only what felt right here and now
Old 9th May 2022
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sounds good! Public opinion is brutal. Nice performance. I don't think anyone is upset, at least I'm not. It was just weird that I could hear the exact The Band song in my head, and his song sounded like a "wrong" version of it, because it is so, so similar. But anyway, **** the haters. Opinion is useless.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hope I did not upset anyone with the video.
certainly no upset here - really enjoying your videos - keep 'em coming.
Old 10th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
https://youtu.be/XqggTwl8YfA
Drums and playing sound great to me!
Old 20th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Doing a really subdued thing with a 24" Leedy and Ludwig BD and 50s Slingerland snare. I put them in the newly treated booth to get a super intimate sound.

I originally Keltnered the part, and played with a maraca in my right hand and a brush in the left, but the client wanted them separated so I recut the drums and then did 3 passes with 3 different maracas and chose the one fit best.

Here's an insta link to the Kelterning LINK

OH iSK 2B Beauth
SD Røde TF5
BD U87
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-booth-drums-bright.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-sd-bd.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-snarentf5.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-booth-bd.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
awesome!
I was just thinking about the atm250DE for toms .. It looks like you are using the single element version ..
ATM 250DE works great on toms and latin percussions. Go for it !
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rick Beato just put up a long interview with Bernard Purdie sitting behind a drum kit in the studio on his youtube channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uusF1iie88

Besides a great interview with one of the top studio drummers, what I found interesting which they got into more detail about was micing toms from underneath. Might spur some experimentation with an old technique.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Finally remembered to take photos again on a tracking session!

All drum mics went into the 8048 loaded with 1081s

Kick in: Beta91A
Kick out: Soyuz Bomblet
Snare top: m201
Snare bottom: M201
OHs: Bomblets
Hi-hat & Ride: KSM141
Toms: KSM32
Close rooms: m160 1" off the floor
Far rooms: Soundelux 251s
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7090.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7085.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7099.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7098.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7097.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7096.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7087.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
Finally remembered to take photos again on a tracking session!

All drum mics went into the 8048 loaded with 1081s

Kick in: Beta91A
Kick out: Soyuz Bomblet
Snare top: m201
Snare bottom: M201
OHs: Bomblets
Hi-hat & Ride: KSM141
Toms: KSM32
Close rooms: m160 1" off the floor
Far rooms: Soundelux 251s
Beautiful room!
What's with that bench/partition in front of the kit?
Does it have any acoustical effect?
📝 Reply