Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio - Page 197 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 1st August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
Sounds really good, man! With a room that big how are you NOT using stereo rooms?
Haha, I figured someone would ask that sooner or later, lol. For Reggae (my own personal material) I like a more dry and focused sound. Less room. I use stereo rooms when I'm recording traditional Rock or Blues. That's when I pull out the iSK Pearls and put them on a stereo bar in the same spot as I have the NT2 and the fact that they are "crispy" actually gives them a nice sense of air since they are so far removed from the source. :0) I like spaced pair A-B and XY running a straight line through the kick and snare when I'm doing stereo rooms. That really seems to make the toms bloom for some reason.
Old 1st August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Haha, I figured someone would ask that sooner or later, lol. For Reggae (my own personal material) I like a more dry and focused sound. Less room. I use stereo rooms when I'm recording traditional Rock or Blues. That's when I pull out the iSK Pearls and put them on a stereo bar in the same spot as I have the NT2 and the fact that they are "crispy" actually gives them a nice sense of air since they are so far removed from the source. :0) I like spaced pair A-B and XY running a straight line through the kick and snare when I'm doing stereo rooms. That really seems to make the toms bloom for some reason.
That makes total sense. My comment was fairly tongue in cheek, BTW.
Old 2nd August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That makes total sense. My comment was fairly tongue in cheek, BTW.
Yeah I sensed that but figured I’d expound…especially after that massive drum thread years ago with Mr. Bob Clearmountain complaining about why folks send him mono room mics instead of stereo haha!
Old 2nd August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The boys from Immolation are back!

Yep,
The guys arrived yesterday to start tracking for their new release.
Apparently this is the tenth record we're working on together..
Who knew?
Haha

Here's 2 quick shots of Steve's Shalaty's drums all set to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc02551.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc02552.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A few days ago my band went in to Crossroads Production in Vancouver to track two new songs. I had a great assistant engineer who ran protools after I finished getting levels and tones so I could go and just be a drummer for a couple hours! The challenge of this particular piece was switching between brushes and sticks on the fly.

I used my Sakae Trilogy kit (22x16, 12x8, 16x16), Ludwig LB403 Super Brass 14x6.5 snare and the following Istanbul Agop cymbals: 15" Special Edition Jazz hihats, 22" Traditional Jazz Ride, 26" Agop Signature Ride and 22" Xist Crash. The signal chains were thus:

Kick - Beta52a - Chandler LTD1
Sub - LoFreq - McAllister MP2
SnTop - SM57 - Chandler LTD1
SnShell - Royer 122 - McAllister MP2 - API 560
Hats - KM184 - Avalon 737
T1 - e22S - Chandler LTD1
T2 - e22S - Chandler LTD1
OHS - U95S - Millennia 1/2
Room - Coles - McAllister MP2 - LA3A
Hall - Stapes Omni - Millennia 3/4

The samples showcase how much of an impact room and ambient mics make on the overall sound and feel of the drums. I set up a pair of Coles in Blumlein not too far from the kit and behind the drums there's a small tiled hallway that leads to the load-in area of the studio that I put a spaced pair of omni mics in with the door cracked. There's nothing like natural reverberation! The samples are not mixed, only volume balanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-972b4d67-1072-404b-8bfa-64fcf8d3a40d.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-1608a00e-fffc-460b-a06d-db3fbb948f6b.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-30711fa2-708b-4905-8c4c-0d30d2c3de69.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-a04c8a34-b070-4299-9f2e-04f194d44d21.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-b689906c-1c95-4637-8f72-3eb5d808b25d.jpg  

Attached Files

Close Mics+OHS.mp3 (3.71 MB, 883 views)

Drums+Blumlein.mp3 (3.71 MB, 862 views)

Drums+Hall Mics.mp3 (3.71 MB, 883 views)

Instrumental.mp3 (3.88 MB, 905 views)

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beautiful! 🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Nice
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
A few days ago my band went in to Crossroads Production in Vancouver to track two new songs. I had a great assistant engineer who ran protools after I finished getting levels and tones so I could go and just be a drummer for a couple hours! The challenge of this particular piece was switching between brushes and sticks on the fly.

I used my Sakae Trilogy kit (22x16, 12x8, 16x16), Ludwig LB403 Super Brass 14x6.5 snare and the following Istanbul Agop cymbals: 15" Special Edition Jazz hihats, 22" Traditional Jazz Ride, 26" Agop Signature Ride and 22" Xist Crash. The signal chains were thus:

Kick - Beta52a - Chandler LTD1
Sub - LoFreq - McAllister MP2
SnTop - SM57 - Chandler LTD1
SnShell - Royer 122 - McAllister MP2 - API 560
Hats - KM184 - Avalon 737
T1 - e22S - Chandler LTD1
T2 - e22S - Chandler LTD1
OHS - U95S - Millennia 1/2
Room - Coles - McAllister MP2 - LA3A
Hall - Stapes Omni - Millennia 3/4

The samples showcase how much of an impact room and ambient mics make on the overall sound and feel of the drums. I set up a pair of Coles in Blumlein not too far from the kit and behind the drums there's a small tiled hallway that leads to the load-in area of the studio that I put a spaced pair of omni mics in with the door cracked. There's nothing like natural reverberation! The samples are not mixed, only volume balanced.
Really great stuff here, man. I love your feel AND the sounds, and that's just on my laptop as I get my morning going. I'm going to come back to this with headphones and dive in.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
complete opposite of all the perfectly balanced drum setups posted here. but i'm happy with what Ihave. in the future probably I will save up for an old snare drum Ludwig SUPRAPHONIC 6.5". Now I still do it with an old super cheap aria drum kit mid seventies. Only stereo overheads in omni with V74a. subkick (Yamaha ns10bass driver inside the case V74) and room mic (48 fig8) v72a 13feet away. No 808 plopping basssounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-a3c806d1-0228-47f3-8212-bd1111883df6.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-3c451e84-758f-43a8-870f-1a7fad93311f.jpg  

Last edited by QueenSisi; 2 weeks ago at 12:40 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
complete opposite of all the perfectly balanced drum setups posted here. but i'm happy with what Ihave. in the future probably I will save up for an old snare drum Ludwig SUPRAPHONIC 6.5". Now I still do it with an old super cheap aria drum kit mid seventies. Only stereo overheads in omni with V74a. subkick (Yamaha ns10bass driver inside the case V74) and room mic (48 fig8) v72a 13feet away. No 808 plopping basssounds.
Isn't having the mics an inch from the ceiling causing MAJOR issues?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really great stuff here, man. I love your feel AND the sounds, and that's just on my laptop as I get my morning going. I'm going to come back to this with headphones and dive in.
Yep ..cool post ..sounds, pics and info. I want that crash !

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Isn't having the mics an inch from the ceiling causing MAJOR issues?
HI, Ist anoptical illusion 22 inch from the wall and 14 inch from the ceiling. Edited the previous post with a pic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
(...) Edited the previous post with a pic.
You could use some nice 19" racks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
HI, Ist anoptical illusion 22 inch from the wall and 14 inch from the ceiling. Edited the previous post with a pic.
I like unusual recording setups. It would be interesting to hear how yours sounds.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'll have a look in the near future for a short sample.

“You could use some nice 19" racks” indeed but I chance a lot. thanks

Last edited by QueenSisi; 3 weeks ago at 10:39 AM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ahhhhh. The second picture is much more clear.
Gear Addict

One of the best drum sounds I heard lately was from a single Coles 4038, out in front of a kit about 8-10ft...through a TG1. Boom! Amazing drum sound...one mike. Beat all kinds of multi-mike setups I'd heard.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
Beautiful! 🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽
Quote:
Nice
Thanks!

Quote:
Thank you so much! I’m constantly down on myself about my feel, so that is extremely validating to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
Yep ..cool post ..sounds, pics and info. I want that crash !
Thank you! Which crash are you referring to? I absolutely love everything that Istanbul Agop is making right now, from their affordable Xist series all the way up to the 30th Anniversary series.

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 3 weeks ago at 10:17 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
Thanks!

Thank you so much! I’m constantly down on myself about my feel, so that is extremely validating to hear!
No problem, man. I've never heard something you posted sound bad, playing or engineering.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No problem, man. I've never heard something you posted sound bad, playing or engineering.
Same!
And you should be endorsed by Istanbul......I’ve bought 4 cymbals from them after hearing your loops.
Dark, fast decay, so goood for recording!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hello All,

This has been an incredible thread! I have been reading through it off and on for the last couple months. There has been a lot of great information here so thanks to everyone that has contributed with pictures and sound clips.

I haven't been on the forum in a while and mainly just lurk, but my band has been working on some songs and I am doing the tracking. We tracked drums at my house in my living room. This is really my first foray into tracking live drums so I am learning as I go, but thought I would share my meager efforts.

I tracked a Mapex kit with a Black Beauty 6.5 x 14 snare and Paiste 900 series cymbals. I think the set was tuned fairly well.

Kick in - Audix D6 - ACMP-73
Kick Out - AT4040 - ACMP-73
Snare Top - Audix i5 - Apollo API Vision strip
Snare Bt - Sm57 - CAPI VP312
Rack Toms - Audix D2 - Apollo Neve 1073
Floor Tom - Audix D4 - Apollo Neve 1073
Hi-Hat - SM7 - RND 511
OH's - Audix ADX-51's - Apollo API Vision strip
Rooms - TNC ACM-2 Ribbons - Aphex 107

The song is sort of a punk style and this was just a quick mix no fx added. Pics aren't the greatest but I was not really planning on sharing.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3032.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3031.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3030.jpg  
Attached Files

QuickDrumMix.mp3 (392.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
Same!
And you should be endorsed by Istanbul......I’ve bought 4 cymbals from them after hearing your loops.
Dark, fast decay, so goood for recording!
Which models? I love what I hear but I can’t be make my mind up. My shortlist is huge.
📝 Reply