Quantcast
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio - Page 196 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 18th July 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Session at Sunset Sound last week. U67's in Glynn Johns. 4038 OH. C37a's on toms. AKG D24 on snare top, 441's on side and btm, D12 in kick, fet47 out front, K84 hat, and a pair of M160s and U67s out in the room.
Ha! AKG D24 on snare! One of my favourites. Until your post I thought I was the only one to use it on drums. It's so good. And quite rare!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Ha! AKG D24 on snare! One of my favourites. Until your post I thought I was the only one to use it on drums. It's so good. And quite rare!
It’s the same thing as a D19, except for the basket. I have 8 D19s and 4 D24s. This one has an XLR connector, so it’s convenient to bring. But I always put a D19/24 on snare, and sometimes on toms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
It’s the same thing as a D19, except for the basket. I have 8 D19s and 4 D24s. This one has an XLR connector, so it’s convenient to bring. But I always put a D19/24 on snare, and sometimes on toms.
Good to know, someone like you with that crazy mic access chooses them! I got two D24 and one D19. The D24 has been the professional version of the home style D19, as AKG marketed it. Same capsule, but different and more complex mounting, and basket as you said. Should lead to a bit more top end with the D24 compared to the D19. This is my setup with D24s on toms in case you missed it :-)

The setup at Sunset you posted above is insane. Includes all the options I would dream of for a warm, fat modern vintage approach.

Do you ever end up with KM84 on snare or toms?

Last edited by shahstlz; 18th July 2021 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: added a link
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Good to know, someone like you with that crazy mic access chooses them! I got two D24 and one D19. The D24 has been the professional version of the home style D19, as AKG marketed it. Same capsule, but different and more complex mounting, and basket as you said. Should lead to a bit more top end with the D24 compared to the D19. This is my setup with D24s on toms in case you missed it :-)

The setup at Sunset you posted above is insane. Includes all the options I would dream of for a warm, fat modern vintage approach.

Do you ever end up with KM84 on snare or toms?
That’s not quite correct. Basket isn’t going to change the response in any noticeable way. The capsules that tested within tighter specs wound up in D24’s, and the rest were D19s, hence D24s sound way more consistent and D19s are a little more all over the place in response. Btw, the D19c is not a home version. The D19 BK Hi was the home version, with its 1k ohm output.

And no. I don’t really use KM84s unless I have to. Maybe on hat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
first i was like:
"wow! that's an amazing independent owner-operator studio."

then i was like:
"oh, it's blackbird."
Old 19th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Here's the first of a couple of recent sessions. Jazz record with some seriously heavy hitters (Orrin Evans from The Bad Plus, Eric Revis of Branford Marsalis' band, Thomas Marriott, and drummer Ted Poor). The studio we were scheduled to track in blew out their A/C the day before in Seattle's unprecedented heat wave, so I had 10 minutes to find another open room with a grand piano.

Found another studio and had them rolling right on time. Phew!

Kick front: Soyuz 023 - Neve 33122
Kick beater: KM86 - Neve 1064
Snare top: Earthworks SR20LS - 33122
Snare bottom: 414B-ULS - Neve 31105
OHs: Soyuz 013fet - Pendulum MDP
Toms: A-T AE3000 - QuadEight desk pre's
Kit front: Beyer M160 - QE desk
Wildcard: Scope Labs Periscope - QE desk
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0v8a3006_dxo.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0v8a3008_dxo.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0v8a3010_dxo.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0v8a3011_dxo.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0v8a3012_dxo.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0v8a3013_dxo.jpg  
Old 24th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
Here's the first of a couple of recent sessions. Jazz record with some seriously heavy hitters (Orrin Evans from The Bad Plus, Eric Revis of Branford Marsalis' band, Thomas Marriott, and drummer Ted Poor). The studio we were scheduled to track in blew out their A/C the day before in Seattle's unprecedented heat wave, so I had 10 minutes to find another open room with a grand piano.

Found another studio and had them rolling right on time. Phew!

Kick front: Soyuz 023 - Neve 33122
Kick beater: KM86 - Neve 1064
Snare top: Earthworks SR20LS - 33122
Snare bottom: 414B-ULS - Neve 31105
OHs: Soyuz 013fet - Pendulum MDP
Toms: A-T AE3000 - QuadEight desk pre's
Kit front: Beyer M160 - QE desk
Wildcard: Scope Labs Periscope - QE desk
nice setup. orrin is awesome. can't wait to hear this.

how's that periscope mic ? i keep thinking about ordering one. did it take a while to ship ?

they seem super cool. would be nice to have a squashed vibe mic without using up an extra compressor just to smash the heck out of it.
Old 25th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer ➡️
how's that periscope mic ? i keep thinking about ordering one. did it take a while to ship ?

they seem super cool. would be nice to have a squashed vibe mic without using up an extra compressor just to smash the heck out of it.
I have a pair that I preordered the day they opened the store, so they took a while, but it was to be expected. I don't know where they are at these days with delivering - shoot 'em an email, they always are quite responsive!

They are fun to toss around a kit, or in the room when tracking guitars. Not always a sound that makes it in the mix, but when it does, it really brings some cool mojo. I used them today in front of a kit with one looking at the snare over the kick hoop and the other a couple feet away looking at the snare under the hi-hat. They were total vibe machines and perfect for this project.
Old 27th July 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I‘ve been playing around with the Neumann recording angle calculator app for a while now, but only recently thoroughly read the instruction manual.
And suddenly I started understanding the relationships between the different factors: distance, angles, pattern, and how their interplay affect the resulting sound (at least in theory).
Now some of the weird-looking angles on some of the spaced-pair OHs in this thread make perfect sense!
Of course the sound should always be the ultimate reason behind a setup. But I‘m now looking forward to choose and put up my OHs with much more intent to back up my instincts.
To quote Emil Faber: „Knowledge Is Good“
Old 30th July 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just did a session at Crossroads in Vancouver, WA with a really great crew.

KickIn - Beta 52A - Chandler LTD1
KickOut - Roswell Mini K47 KD - API 212L
Sub - Solomon LoFreq - API 212L
SnTp - Unidyne III - Chandler LTD1
SnSide - ML-19 - McAllister MP2 - Distressor
SnBt - RØDE NT3 - McAllister MP2
Hats - KM184 - Avalon 737
Crotch - Coles 4038 - Avedis MA5 - API 560 - Distressor
Toms - Josephson e22S - Chandler LTD1
OHS - Soundelux U95S - Millennia HV-3D - Focusrite Red3
Rooms - Royer 122 - McAllister MP2 - LA3A
Tile Hall - Stapes Omni - EM Silver - dbx160S
Side Snare - MD421 - Millennia HV-3D - 2-1176

EDIT: I've added a few mp3 clips with and without instruments for context. Just a little L2 on the 2bus, otherwise they're just ruffs from the tracking session.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ea14d1c8-b835-44a5-8eb1-9f3b32352c33.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-365dced3-8c23-465e-b63c-1e575c282592.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2b14bb90-61b1-485a-98ef-e17e7b619361.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-164a4960-363e-4f9d-a0fc-c7cb6a9182b4.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-deee3709-2f36-4f28-8ead-ca583c627a5e.jpg  

Attached Files

Track 11 (drums).mp3 (1.57 MB, 984 views)

Track 11 (full).mp3 (1.57 MB, 950 views)

OTR (drums).mp3 (1.93 MB, 955 views)

OTR (full).mp3 (1.93 MB, 950 views)

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 30th July 2021 at 06:56 PM..
Old 30th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️

Very nice. I bet that sounded perfect. Thank you for sharing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➡️
Interesting spot for the 4038 crotch mic. Might just be the photo but it seems most of the direct sound of the shells are actually in the null?

I normally try an omni there but have to admit I don't end up using it very often. Maybe a squashed 57 for something trashy but even then doesn't get used much.

How's it sound?

R.

P.S. Love a 4038 mono overhead too. Really liked JJ's 4038 with condensers in Glyn Johns. Gonna have to try that!
The 4038 is one of those mic's that sounds best in spot's you don't expect vs other mic's.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

nice - i'm somewhat amazed by (the positions/distance between the overheads and) the huge variety of preamps/signal paths though: how did you get there? by comparing, previous experience?

(i admit that i'm mostly way too lazy to use anything different than my 'stock' preamps...)
Quote:

Its a sin to show a setup like that, but not what it sounds like.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer ➡️
Its a sin to show a setup like that, but not what it sounds like.
I was exhausted last night after tearing down and hadn't even bounced out dailies yet. I've updated the post to include some clips.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
(...)EDIT: I've added a few mp3 clips with and without instruments for context. Just a little L2 on the 2bus, otherwise they're just ruffs from the tracking session.
The biggest takeaway for me here - besides the engineering - is the brilliant choice of cymbals. They‘re (musically) omnipresent, yet don‘t overwhelm the rest of the drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was exhausted last night after tearing down and hadn't even bounced out dailies yet. I've updated the post to include some clips.
Those cymbals are DARK!! What are they man?
Lovely work as always btw! 🙌🏽👌🏾
Old 31st July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
nice - i'm somewhat amazed by (the positions/distance between the overheads and) the huge variety of preamps/signal paths though: how did you get there? by comparing, previous experience?

(i admit that i'm mostly way too lazy to use anything different than my 'stock' preamps...)
I've been favoring XY for overheads lately, but the drummer had his setup pretty spread out width-wise so I favored a spaced pair setup to get better coverage.

My general approach on most projects that I'm going to subsequently mix as well is to commit to sounds on the way down. I use mics and preamps as tools for getting specific sounds that I'm going after and also for ease of use. In this session we were switching out cymbals, snare drums and modifying the kick drum (muffling, removing the reso head, tuning) for every single song - never using the same setup twice. I tailor the drum sounds to the production. The EQ's on the close mics allow me to quickly dial in the sound when the switches happen. The hats go through the 737 because I want a fast pre with a variable HPF. The MA5 is selected for the knee mic because I will probably drive it into distortion on some songs, and that pre does that task really well. On the overheads I like the openness of the Millennia preamps compared to more colored preamps.

I definitely compare to previous experiences. By trying out different combinations I not only become familiar with individual mics, pres and outboard gear but also the combinations that complement each other and how they work with the source in front of them. My ultimate goal is to realize the sounds that I hear in my mind and for the gear to just become invisible.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
Lovely work as always btw! ������������������������
Looks like left crash/ride is a K dark, next one is an agop signature, then an agop xist dark. Last one is hard to say for sure, but kind of reminds me of zildjian hammering on Constantinople series. Maybe it’s an agop 30th but it doesn’t really look like the ones I’ve played and seen

I’m not sure about hats. Could be agop 30th but could also be 100 other brands or even vintage hats
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've been favoring XY for overheads lately, but the drummer had his setup pretty spread out width-wise so I favored a spaced pair setup to get better coverage.

My general approach on most projects that I'm going to subsequently mix as well is to commit to sounds on the way down. I use mics and preamps as tools for getting specific sounds that I'm going after and also for ease of use. In this session we were switching out cymbals, snare drums and modifying the kick drum (muffling, removing the reso head, tuning) for every single song - never using the same setup twice. I tailor the drum sounds to the production. The EQ's on the close mics allow me to quickly dial in the sound when the switches happen. The hats go through the 737 because I want a fast pre with a variable HPF. The MA5 is selected for the knee mic because I will probably drive it into distortion on some songs, and that pre does that task really well. On the overheads I like the openness of the Millennia preamps compared to more colored preamps.

I definitely compare to previous experiences. By trying out different combinations I not only become familiar with individual mics, pres and outboard gear but also the combinations that complement each other and how they work with the source in front of them. My ultimate goal is to realize the sounds that I hear in my mind and for the gear to just become invisible.
much appreciated!

[i'm using a vastly different approach (and gear) as i can easily use all but schoeps (except for toms for which i prefer dynamic mics) and i think of the drum kit as of an orchestra, of the overheads as of the main mic system and of the tom mics etc. as of spot mics - schoeps x/y, m/s or l/c/r for overheads mostly, rarely wide a/b.

preamps are mostly remotely controlled studer; if i feel fancy, occasionally an amek/neve, calrec or grace design channel strip on kick, snare and/or on overheads)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➡️
The biggest takeaway for me here - besides the engineering - is the brilliant choice of cymbals. They‘re (musically) omnipresent, yet don‘t overwhelm the rest of the drums.
Thank you! I am always collecting cymbals recording. I definitely favor darker cymbals, but I try to have ones for every occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
Lovely work as always btw! 🙌🏽👌🏾
I can't remember which ones exactly we used on each song but Ox Han is pretty much on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Looks like left crash/ride is a K dark, next one is an agop signature, then an agop xist dark. Last one is hard to say for sure, but kind of reminds me of zildjian hammering on Constantinople series. Maybe it’s an agop 30th but it doesn’t really look like the ones I’ve played and seen

I’m not sure about hats. Could be agop 30th but could also be 100 other brands or even vintage hats
The one on the far right is a 1960's Pearl stamped brass ride cymbal. They were total budget cymbals that they threw in with their cheap kits. It's pretty beat up, warped but has this incredible dark tone, great stick sound and a unique fast decay. I've had several drummers offer to buy it from me after they use it in the studio but I'll never sell it!

For hats we mainly used my 15" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary hats, but also a 16" Bosphorus Master Vintage Crash over a 16" early 60's A. Zildjian thin crash as hats.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you! I am always collecting cymbals recording. I definitely favor darker cymbals, but I try to have ones for every occasion.

I can't remember which ones exactly we used on each song but Ox Han is pretty much on the money.

The one on the far right is a 1960's Pearl stamped brass ride cymbal. They were total budget cymbals that they threw in with their cheap kits. It's pretty beat up, warped but has this incredible dark tone, great stick sound and a unique fast decay. I've had several drummers offer to buy it from me after they use it in the studio but I'll never sell it!

For hats we mainly used my 15" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary hats, but also a 16" Bosphorus Master Vintage Crash over a 16" early 60's A. Zildjian thin crash as hats.
That’s very interesting about vintage pearl rides. I don’t believe I’ve heard one (that I know of) and have never read anything about them. Thanks for this tip. I’m gonna have to look into them.

I also use agop 15” 30th hats and they will never leave my possession. They actually are more versatile than one would think. I’ve heard about larger thin crashes as hats, but never have had the pleasure.

I gotta say, I hope I’m fortunate to one day record drums with you in your studio. Or even just visit your studio some day. No matter the genre/drums/drummer it sounds so damn good.

Really dig what you do
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
That’s very interesting about vintage pearl rides. I don’t believe I’ve heard one (that I know of) and have never read anything about them. Thanks for this tip. I’m gonna have to look into them.

I also use agop 15” 30th hats and they will never leave my possession. They actually are more versatile than one would think. I’ve heard about larger thin crashes as hats, but never have had the pleasure.

I gotta say, I hope I’m fortunate to one day record drums with you in your studio. Or even just visit your studio some day. No matter the genre/drums/drummer it sounds so damn good.

Really dig what you do
I imagine most of them are destroyed, since they’re not as durable as bronze cymbals and most of them probably didn’t survive getting smashed by beginning drummers. I have an 18” brass crash labeled as “Astro” that has a similar thing going on.

Yeah they are amazing hats! I wish mine had a bit crisper “chick” when you close them, but I got plenty of other hats that do that well. Istanbul Agop is making some really incredible pies these days, which is why I own more of them than any other make.

Thank you for the kind words! Please DM me if you ever visit Portland, it would be fun to visit and give you a tour and also cool to do a session!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-6da6678f-8175-4525-bdb0-34acd031b173.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave ➡️
Doing wee bit of prep for drum recordings i'm going to be doing when I get 2 weeks holiday at the end of this month, so took a couple of snaps, and a quick snip if how it all sounds 'bare tracked'

Tama kit, with Mapex Brass snare, Paiste PST7 cymbals.

Overheads > Sontonics STC-1 pair in ORTF > Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet
Main Room > SE X1-R Ribbons in Blumlein > Audient ASP800, HMX & Iron 50%
"Nuke Room" > AT conferencing mic > Elysia Skulpter 60% Shape 1, Comp around half
Kick > EV PL33 > Camden 500 (50% Thump)
Snare Top > Audix i5 > Camden 500 (50% Cream, HP On)
Snare Bottom > Sm57 > Audient ASP800
Rack > Heil PR28 > Audient ASP800
Floor > Shure PG52 > Audient ASP800

No EQ or Comps on tracking (except the Skulpter on the Boundary mic) - this is mainly because it's a drag trying to 'self-engineer' when playing, so I I will usually track then run an outboard 'pass' to taste through various 500 pieces.
A wee follow up to this drum session above, if anyone wants to hear the final results, my wee solo album is now up on Spotify
here
https://open.spotify.com/album/5CJN9...uigrUps5LoaWTE

and Bandcamp here:-
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...QXvPwyKEk4tDBE

I'm always looking for ways to improve, so any feedback, especially on the drums is welcome - regardless of how negative

My room is fairly small and boxy, but even though it's never gonna be the best sounding room, i'm still finding that embracing room mics and squeezing all I can out of the natural ambience is better than relying on close mics and verbs too much. The wee AT boundary mic through the Elysia Skulpeter is proving a great 'nuke' mic too!
Old 1st August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still experimenting with crotch mic. Went back to EV635. I like it the best of all the mics I've tried in that position. Snippet attached.

Kick in - Beta 52a > ua4-710d > KT-EQP1A
Kick out - Solomon Mic LoFreq > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Snare Top - GLS57 (1st time using this mic here) - ua4-710d w. 1176 engaged @ slow
Snare Bottom - EVD056 > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Hats - iSK Little Gem > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Tom 1 + 2 - Naiant Black-XS > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Tom 3 - ATM25 - Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Overheads - Stellar CM5 > Daking MPII
Crotch - EV635 > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Room - NT2 > Peavey VMP2 Tube

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-1.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-2.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-4.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-5.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-6.jpg  
Attached Files

crotch mic snippet.mp3 (5.19 MB, 691 views)

Last edited by Funny Cat; 1st August 2021 at 03:51 AM..
Old 1st August 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
@ Funny Cat super cool, love the mic selection. How are those little Naiant mics on toms? I'm building things vaguely like those, had a friend in town ask about toms, thought it was a good idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
@ Funny Cat super cool, love the mic selection. How are those little Naiant mics on toms? I'm building things vaguely like those, had a friend in town ask about toms, thought it was a good idea.
Thanks monkeyxx. It’s interesting because I have better mics but lean towards less sparkly/HiFi mics on drums, partly bc I can just leave them up 24/7 without worrying.

The Naiant’s are a real surprise and serious sleeper mic for toms. Previously I’d been using ATM25’s all around but tend to change things up quite a bit and tried the XS’s there.

I like how easy they are to position and they are very dark for pencil mics yet still pic up the body, definition and attack so they are perfect for toms. I don’t know that they sell them anymore though unfortunately.

[EDIT] I misspoke. The Naiant's I have are not the XS model but a different model. I can't seem to verify which model because there are no pics on the Naiant website of their discontinued mics and my mic has no markings to identify it. I do know that the model I'm using are Cardioid and not Omni's though!

Last edited by Funny Cat; 1st August 2021 at 08:14 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Toms mics...

Just thinking a bit more on (pencil) tom mics here. I don't have much experience with pencil mics in general outside of the KM84 and 184's. I do have a pair of iSK Pearls and the little gem but they are both a bit "crispy" in the top end. Never used any Scheops or the Line Audio's which look pretty cool. So if my Naiant Blacks went down due to an errant stick hit I'd guess that perhaps the AT-Pro37 might be similar? I have a single Pro37 and have never tried it on toms but from memory they have a similar vibe e.g. rolled off top end yet still retaining body and definition and can take loud sources easily. I've used it on bottom snare and hats successfully.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Just thinking a bit more on (pencil) tom mics here. I don't have much experience with pencil mics in general outside of the KM84 and 184's. I do have a pair of iSK Pearls and the little gem but they are both a bit "crispy" in the top end. Never used any Scheops or the Line Audio's which look pretty cool. So if my Naiant Blacks went down due to an errant stick hit I'd guess that perhaps the AT-Pro37 might be similar? I have a single Pro37 and have never tried it on toms but from memory they have a similar vibe e.g. rolled off top end yet still retaining body and definition and can take loud sources easily. I've used it on bottom snare and hats successfully.
I suspect the Naiants are some sort of import, off the shelf flat-ish response capsules.

I suspect the Line Audio would be very similar, the AT Pro 37 more different. But I'm not positive.

All would be electret capsule condensers.

I doubt you would get any company to disclose which parts they use, unless they were custom/bespoke to them alone, at which point it would be an advertising opportunity.

I'm messing with mics like this using Primo, JLI/Transound, and PUI capsules in my builds.

People used to use Panasonic capsules but the popular ones are unobtainium, and these other parts I listed work just fine.

Side note: I met the Naiant guy once, in his shop, but for some reason he wouldn't hardly speak at all, it was a strange meeting. No matter, the products are good.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Still experimenting with crotch mic. Went back to EV635. I like it the best of all the mics I've tried in that position. Snippet attached.

Kick in - Beta 52a > ua4-710d > KT-EQP1A
Kick out - Solomon Mic LoFreq > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Snare Top - GLS57 (1st time using this mic here) - ua4-710d w. 1176 engaged @ slow
Snare Bottom - EVD056 > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Hats - iSK Little Gem > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Tom 1 + 2 - Naiant Black-XS > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Tom 3 - ATM25 - Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Overheads - Stellar CM5 > Daking MPII
Crotch - EV635 > Console (Soundtracs MRX32)
Room - NT2 > Peavey VMP2 Tube

Sounds really good, man! With a room that big how are you NOT using stereo rooms?
📝 Reply